Solo Carry Light Striking - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

Unhappy Solo Carry Light Striking

2013 Solo Carry is my daily carry gun. I shoot it twice a year and clean it regularly to manufacturers specs. It has 300 rounds through it total.

I have only fired recommended ammo, and never once had a problem.

Yesterday went to range and was shocked to find that it is light striking easily 4 out of 7 rounds. Slide fully seated each time, barely a dent in the primer, extractor engaging properly.

I fully cleaned it to include removing the firing pin channel and extractor. Reassembled and tested with pencil- Firing pin barely moves the pencil (compared to my Springfield XDM, which bounces the pencil off the ceiling).

I'm at a loss for words and out of ideas here to have a well maintained gun of this quality suddenly cease to function.

I tried calling Kimber but they do not answer their phones at all.

Any ideas? Scary to discover your daily carry gun does not work.
mtmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #2

Others here may have some better info regarding the issue, but is it possible you've got some gumming up on your striker? Maybe get that cleaned out first but, I'd keep trying Kimber. They've been pretty good with the phones in my experience.

Oh sorry - see you did clean that. Call Kimber!

Also, welcome from Eastern Washington.
mtmurat likes this.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Don't no what to tell you my solo has over 3000 rounds through it,I've never removed the extractor or done anything to the firing pin channel.i clean it after 250 or 300 rounds which amounts to cleaning the barrel and new grease on rails that's it.and anytime you remove one of the roll pins it needs to be replaced with a new one.
Rangemeister likes this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Btw if you only shoot it twice a year I would say it's gummed up somewhere,and mine is also a 2013 model solo carry and I've never used recommend ammo
Spotly likes this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
DOS

I think your "pencil" test gave you a pretty good idea of the problem... It sounds like either the firing pin is blocked (from firing fully), the firing pin is damaged, or the spring is bad.

With the slide disassembled, check how far the pin extrudes for striking. If it looks good, perhaps the spring is bad.

I think it's either "build up" in the channel, a "chipped" firing pin, or a bad firing pin spring...

(I guess there could also be something wrong with the trigger, but you should have noticed that when shooting.)

Last edited by DOS; 03-01-2016 at 10:51 AM.
DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

There are 2 springs in the firing pin channel. Did you remove the smaller return spring and clean out the empty channel? If one puts oil in the striker channel it will clog up with gunk and lint.
Rangemeister likes this.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #7

ANY contamination of the striker will cause what you describe. During every cleaning, I clean the channel with a q-tip. I don't regularly remove the striker because it's pinned into place, but I douche it with brake cleaner.

If you ask Kimber about their recommended procedure, they will tell you it's not user serviceable and recommend you send it back for cleaning. That's per Sergio.
Chuck43 and GoingSolo like this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I agree with RustyIron's suggestion break it down and spray the crap out of it with brake clear or any other spray cleaner you have handy.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
YuK

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
There are 2 springs in the firing pin channel. Did you remove the smaller return spring and clean out the empty channel? If one puts oil in the striker channel it will clog up with gunk and lint.
Check the rear (power) firing pin spring, possibly it is broken.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
YuK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

Thanks for the tips gents, it's totally clean and currently dry, firing pin channel like new, cleaned with Qtip and ensured no fibers left behind. I will get after the other hidden striker components with brake cleaner and see what happens next- iceman might well have a point if debris could be gumming up a hidden component.

Also, firing pin does protrude enough to do the job.

Anyone have a detailed parts schematic? I might try replacing the springs- I'll keep trying Kimber.
mtmurat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failure, firing pin, light strike

Search tags for this page

cleaning firing pin kimber solo

firing pin cleaning kimber solo

Click on a term to search for related topics.