Solo Worthless? - Page 3 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree160Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2016, 11:33 AM  

Originally Posted by Snake15 View Post
We should take up a collection and send one of the young guys to Kimber armorer's school for gosh sakes.
?????
The guys at the Kimber factory are all armorers, yet they can't make Solos work before they go out the door. Clearly, being a Kimber Armorer doesn't require all that much skill.

Maybe we could take a collection and send one of our young guys to Sig Armorer's School. Then we could give him all of our Solos to have them Exeter'ed.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:00 PM  

Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Sorry for the responses so far. I was hoping some of the members that have had positive experiences with their Solo's would have related them to you. Kimber will make it right eventually. Hang in there.
All the OP has to do is read all the threads on this site about the Solo and he will get enough information to answer his question.
While we definitely have a few Kimber owners who have had some bad experience with their Solo's, we certainly have quite a few who have not and love their Solo's and you can count me in the group that loves their Solo.
One thing I do find interesting is that some of these same Kimber owners who are bashing the Solo are not doing the same with the Micro which also has demonstrated some issues that are in process of being worked out ( same as the Solo ).
In such case I tend to believe that perhaps just a little bias may be in play as the Solo is striker fired unlike the 1911 models which Kimber is best known for.
Read the existing threads on the Solo, keep the striker chamber clean ( absolutely do not get oil in the chamber) and if the light strike issue continues return it to Kimber and they will get it right for you.
It's really that simple.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:06 PM  

Lost confidence

Responding to comments so far, this Solo is my daily carry gun. I clean it once per month, exactly to specs, and shot it about every 6 months. It has performed flawlessly for 4 years now and then wham, doesn't work. A real shocker to discover your carry gun doesn't work.

I've maintained this carry gun just like others I have had- Colt, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, etc.

Part of why I spent $700 for this gun is Kimber's reputation for quality. Now I have lost all confidence in this gun. I was also shocked to have so many gun shops not offer me even a single dollar for this gun- citing their experience with so many people having problems with them.

I appreciate everyone's comments but have already been down all those avenues- striker channel disassembled and cleaned thoroughly, etc. I feel the issue is with the striker spring. If I let it sit for a few days unloaded with tension off the striker, I'll get one, maybe two good enough strikes then just little dents in the primers after that.

Since my Springfield XDM 3.8 has been flawlessly reliable for 6 years, I went and picked up a XDS 9mm for my daily carry needs. I'll keep trying Kimber, but am not overly hopeful. I read online of many instances where the Solo comes back from Yonkers just as shitty as when it went in. And if there is much cost involved, I'll probably just have to Find some liberal to see where I can have this thing destroyed- wouldn't want to pass on a defective gun to my family or have someone that I sold it to die because it didn't work....

Old 03-06-2016, 12:20 PM  

Originally Posted by Trex View Post
All the OP has to do is read all the threads on this site about the Solo and he will get enough information to answer his question.
While we definitely have a few Kimber owners who have had some bad experience with their Solo's, we certainly have quite a few who have not and love their Solo's and you can count me in the group that loves their Solo.
One thing I do find interesting is that some of these same Kimber owners who are bashing the Solo are not doing the same with the Micro which also has demonstrated some issues that are in process of being worked out ( same as the Solo ).
In such case I tend to believe that perhaps just a little bias may be in play as the Solo is striker fired unlike the 1911 models which Kimber is best known for.
Read the existing threads on the Solo, keep the striker chamber clean ( absolutely do not get oil in the chamber) and if the light strike issue continues return it to Kimber and they will get it right for you.
It's really that simple.
I had the Solo and micro, the micro is a much better gun in my opinion. Maybe that's why people are not bashing it as much.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:33 PM  

MT, you've only experienced a minor malf. 20 years ago I was carrying a Colt Mustang that did the same thing as your Solo. Click no bang. Took it to a gun smith and for 25 bucks he fixed it. Firing pin block spring broke. He replaced it and the gun was good as new. If that's the only thing that's plagued your Solo you're lucky. Get it YONKERED then run a couple hundred rounds through it and your confidence with be restored.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (22.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 12:36 PM  

BTW do you live in MT?

PS: I'll give you $200 for it as is. Let the bidding begin!

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 03-06-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:02 PM  

It happens to other brands also.
My brothers farther in law owned a jewelry store in Louisvelle Ky. In 1968 or 69, he was robbed. His colt 32 fired 1 round then jammed. He was killed after being shot 6 times by a .45 revolver. So your complaint is a serious one. Just get it fixed and you will once again be happy.
By the way the robber was never caught. Says a lot for revolvers.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:07 PM  

I'm in Houston- still going to give Kimber a try if they will ever answer the phone.

I guess the second part of my concern is the fact that all the local gun shops don't carry them anymore and refuse to buy/sell/trade them. I understand a fluke problem, but this tells me its not just me or an isolated issue.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:10 PM  

Call them early in the AM?
Old 03-06-2016, 01:14 PM  

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
I'll give $300.00 and the solo is not the only gun that has some problems it's just the one that gets trashed the most.
Hoffbrew and Mini Me like this.

Tags
light strike, solo, unreliable

Search tags for this page

did kimber work the bugs out of the 8 round solo mags

ki,ber solo resolutions

kimber solo trade in value

Click on a term to search for related topics.