Solo and Sig Sauer Elite Performance - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
DOS

Solo and Sig Sauer Elite Performance

So, I've been one of the lucky ones when it comes to the Kimber Solo. So far (~400-500 rounds) I have had only two FTEs. I have been putting all sorts of ammo through it; from Feberal, to Blaser, to Winchester, to Remington; 115, 124, and 147 grains. (Yes, that's right 115 grain as well). Everything has been working fine with the exception of the 2 FTEs.

So, in the process I picked up a few boxes of the Sig Sauer Elite Performance 124 grain JHP. Went to the range and it shot just fine. (Here is where the plot thickens…) When finishing up at the range, I do what I always do, reload 3 mags, put a mag in the pistol, rack, chamber, and holster; and I went home. (CCW)

When I get home I go to put the Solo away, I take the mag out and go to rack the slide to get the round out of the barrel and low and behold; the slide won't cycle, it's locked. Of course the first thing I do is check the safety; nope, safety isn't on. I try to rack again, nothing.

OK, so here I am, understand, I don't have property to go outside and try to fire this round off. (Condo Living, pros and cons.) So, I do what any self-respecting gun owner would do; I put the safety on, set the gun down, and went to watch TV. Unfortunately, watching re-runs of Jack Bauer (24) shooting his H&K didn't get my mind off the Solo. What kept going through my mind was; what will happen if I try to shoot that round off? Will the slide come flying back in my face? Could there be something else in the barrel that could make the gun explode? And of course, Jack wasn't helping matters because, apparently he doesn't carry his gun with one in the chamber; he kept racking it whenever he brought it out.

So, I went back to the gun, put on some shooting gloves (with rubberized palms and fingers) and wrenched on the slide. BINGO! The round came out. I thought at first that the extractor was damaged, but after checking with several different types of ammo, it functioned just fine. So, of course, being the stubborn a$$ I am, I chambered the Sig ammo again. Stuck! Wrench! Bingo! (Keep in mind, this went on for about 15 minutes.)

So, to make a long story absolutely unbearable, if you own a Kimber Solo, you may wish to avoid the Sig Sauer Elite Performance JHP. Of course, it could just be me and my solo. (that kind of sounds like a song.) Just me and my solo, shootin' at the range. The ammo gets stuck and the gun goes bang. (I've been typing too long).
DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
I had trouble with that ammo in my H&K I won't use it anymore..
YuK likes this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the information on the ammo. I stick with the Speer Gold Dots
and Lawman 124GR.
- G. K. Chesterton
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Very good choice colonel for the solo,also I use American eagle 124 gr and Speer lawman 124,and some others.and I only use 124 gr ammo in my solos.
Rangemeister likes this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #5

I tried the SIG 147 and they shot just fine. I do carry the Fed 124 HST as it is my favorite. Interesting thing though. Thanks for the notice on this!
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:09 AM   #6
Super Moderator

It doesn't matter what make or model gun you have you have to test your carry ammo. Just because you like a particular round that doesn't mean your gun will, the gun will make the final decision.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #7

I am using blazerbrass 124 for range ammo ( bought bulk for 10:40$/50 round box) and it works great
Swedebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
DOS

That's a very good price for the Blazer, can I ask? Where did you order it? (assuming it was on-line)...
Old 03-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #9

Originally Posted by DOS View Post
That's a very good price for the Blazer, can I ask? Where did you order it? (assuming it was on-line)...
Bulkammo.com it is 235 for 1000 rounds with free shipping, I had 25 store credit that I forgot about .... So not quite as good of a price but still good!!!! About 11:75 a box
Swedebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
DOS

Originally Posted by Swedebelle View Post
Bulkammo.com it is 235 for 1000 rounds with free shipping, I had 25 store credit that I forgot about .... So not quite as good of a price but still good!!!! About 11:75 a box
I shop there too... and never got free shipping.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a special. Thanks!

Search tags for this page

how does sig ammo run in a kimber solo

Click on a term to search for related topics.