You guys causing me to Doubt my SOLO. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #1

You guys causing me to Doubt my SOLO.

OK OK OK, I have a Solo, and a year or so ago I sent it to Kimber to be checked out. I was having FTF & FTE issues. Well Kimber sent it back and it has worked fine ever since.

However with all the questioning about how dependable the Solo ison this forum, I have decided to take it to a local pistol smith, who is well known in Police and Military circles in doing firearm repairs and adjustments. He does custom work for some Navy Seals from Crane Naval Depot in South Central Indiana as well as most Law Enforcement departments in a large area around my town. He is the same one I took my SCUP to and he resolved all issues with it.

He looked atthe Solo briefly and remarked that Kimber did polish the "throat" and he would check everything out from one end to the other. He wanted the ammo I intended to use in self defense carry. That is Hydra Shok Critical Defense. It is expensive to shoot on the range but it is what Kimber and the Solo like. I must say that he is not a fan of small automatics, no matter the caliber, but is very knowledgeable and a perfectionist. I don't have it back yet but will follow up when I do.

One thing we agreed upon, was the purpose of the Solo and others like it. That being, a self defense weapon. Number 1. it must work every time, period. We also discussed why so many people buy non-recommended ammunition and then complain when it doesn't live up to their expectation. Yes they should work with any Ammo, but even my Harley eats and runs better on premium fuel as recommended by Harley.

I guess what I'm saying is, it is a self defense weapon, feed it the best ammo available and don't scrimp on the price. Keep the weapon in tip top shape.

Make sure the pistol no matter what model is functioning fine and feed them the best. Your life may depend on it. I sure as hell would hate to be using cheap ammunition and have it fail in a critical moment.
The last second before you die you say to yourself, " well I saved a little money on the ammo" for the range.

Sorry for the long post I got carried away.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #2

No problem with mine so far.
But I have developed a full understanding of what is needed to keep it this way.
Using cheap ammo at the range may be ok t save money but if not reliable a waste of time and money.
Find what works in your gun and stay away from what does not.
And whatever brand you end up using for defensive carry, be damn sure you have tested it at the range enough to know it is compatible with your gun.
The other is care and cleaning and making sure you keep it clean ( especially not to get oil in the striker channel ).
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Ok I feel left out,I'm sending both of my solos back to kimber.neither one ever mess up!i can't make one mess up so I think something is wrong,it's just not fair I never get anything to come on here and bitch about.so I will call kimber and see if they can make it ftf,fte,just something so I will feel better I feel like a outsiderok then I'll have another scotch
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #4

WTB - Kimber Solo - I live in northern Indiana so I am willing to drive as far as southern Indiana to pick up in person.
Nellybelle, Chuck43 and GoingSolo like this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
OK OK OK, I have a Solo, and a year or so ago I sent it to Kimber to be checked out. I was having FTF & FTE issues. Well Kimber sent it back and it has worked fine ever since.

However with all the questioning about how dependable the Solo ison this forum, I have decided to take it to a local pistol smith, who is well known in Police and Military circles in doing firearm repairs and adjustments. He does custom work for some Navy Seals from Crane Naval Depot in South Central Indiana as well as most Law Enforcement departments in a large area around my town. He is the same one I took my SCUP to and he resolved all issues with it.

He looked atthe Solo briefly and remarked that Kimber did polish the "throat" and he would check everything out from one end to the other. He wanted the ammo I intended to use in self defense carry. That is Hydra Shok Critical Defense. It is expensive to shoot on the range but it is what Kimber and the Solo like. I must say that he is not a fan of small automatics, no matter the caliber, but is very knowledgeable and a perfectionist. I don't have it back yet but will follow up when I do.

One thing we agreed upon, was the purpose of the Solo and others like it. That being, a self defense weapon. Number 1. it must work every time, period. We also discussed why so many people buy non-recommended ammunition and then complain when it doesn't live up to their expectation. Yes they should work with any Ammo, but even my Harley eats and runs better on premium fuel as recommended by Harley.

I guess what I'm saying is, it is a self defense weapon, feed it the best ammo available and don't scrimp on the price. Keep the weapon in tip top shape.

Make sure the pistol no matter what model is functioning fine and feed them the best. Your life may depend on it. I sure as hell would hate to be using cheap ammunition and have it fail in a critical moment.
The last second before you die you say to yourself, " well I saved a little money on the ammo" for the range.

Sorry for the long post I got carried away.
You want the truth about the solo? Then disregard everything that Cucamonga kid and Iceman have said about them because we have diametrically opposed views. The truth is somewhere in the middle. If yours is working fine then don't worry about it; carry-on. On the other hand if you have any doubts trust your gut.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #6

We use the other ammo when at the range....I have a few clips of the good stuff that wasn't cheap to use for carrying.
the iceman likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #7

Perhaps it's just the southern Indiana "atmosphere" but since coming back from kimber (when it was just weeks old,) my Solo has been without fail. The Solo or the RCP (or both) are with me everyday.
Nellybelle and Mini Me like this.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

After reading this post and others on the Solo and Micro....I wonder why a lot of the problems are not caught upon finally inspection and shipment at Kimber with the many returns? I know how the manufacturing process, worked in a factory for 11 years from the start to finish on a product. I know we had many returns....some were in the thousands. Just wondering, hoping the percentage of returns is decreasing. My thoughts on the subject...I know not to buy anything built on a Friday night.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

After, repeat AFTER, getting my new Solo used to shooting/carrying good quality ammo, I tried the cheap stuff. It worked. The extended mags I bought, worked. I am now satisfied the gun WORKS with selected ammo as long as I do MY job (proper ammo selection for the situation). The gun is after all, NOT a range gun, my SA EMP 4 is for that, it is for, as the name implies, Solo Deep Cover. My Solo is very good and what little range time I use it for, makes me smile!

Last edited by Rangemeister; 05-14-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to the iceman
Very good meister I just put a couple hundred rounds through mine today and as always perfect performance you may want to try federal HST 124 gr for carry as I have seen what they do to a human body (awesome and ugly)
Rangemeister, swca and Mini Me like this.
the iceman is offline   Reply With Quote