What is with you people? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree376Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

What is with you people?

I have a Kimber Pro Carry HD. Like many I have replaced many of the MIM parts. It has an EGW ball head disconnector, EGW sear, Wilson flat spring kit, Bullet proof hammer, ambi safety, titanium firing pin and an Ed Brown bobtail mainspring housing. I spent a fair bit on this pistol without any insulting remarks toward Kimber. These things were my choice. I've had Glocks (3rd gen & 4th Gen) that had brass to the face issues and I've fixed the extractors and the problems went away. Now I have a Solo and I know that Kimber says that only premium ammo that uses 124 grain to 147 grain bullets should be used and so I have no complaint with that. This isn't a range toy. It is a very small self defense pistol. Many small pistols are finicky about ammo. I knew this going in and I'm old enough and mature enough to accept this. Hitchcock45 has done a review on this pistol and made only 2 remarks that were critical of the pistol. He said it had sharper recoil than a Kahr PM9 and the trigger made his finger hurt. He said it wouldn't tolerate 115 grain bullets but it seemed to tolerate all the 124 grain and 147 grain bullets put in it. He had only one FTE and wasn't sure why. He said the previous owner claimed it wouldn't function properly.
It seemed to work fine for him and he is an experienced shooter who has a wide following and is well respected. The thing about these forums is they are mostly made up of people who have had problems and not people who are happy with their pistol. So they should be taken with a very large grain of salt. I just got my Solo and haven't fired it yet. In the past I have had several Kahrs and a Diamondback which are all small pistols. I believe the reason Hitchcock45 felt the recoil was harsh had to do with the all metal construction. A polymer frame pistol flexes and absorbs some of the recoil and the backstrap isn't as hard. I suspect some rubber grip tape on the front and backstraps will help with that. I will report back when I have shot it. If there are problems they will be fixed and all will be well.
Nellybelle, Holster, Trex and 2 others like this.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Banned

Roger That...
starnovi likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

I was wondering the same thing as the OP. I'm new to shooting semi-auto Kimber pistols. I have an Ultra+ CDP II that I was having trouble selling (I'm an FFL), so I decided to shoot it. I was expecting all sorts of trouble before it was "broke-in". To the contrary, this pistol has been flawless and accurate, and I'm not a very good shooter. I think I'm going to keep the pistol, and start reloading for 45 ACP, as I want to see how the pistol works after the thousand rounds it takes to perform properly.
Cucamonga kid and starnovi like this.
Joel6180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #4

Here's what's with me. If I spent good money on a life-saving device and it fails one time after break-in; it goes bye-bye. All of the guns I currently own with the exception of one have never failed. Want to guess which gun has failed?
Oreste, JC45, 80 deuce and 1 others like this.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

I have purchased a dozen Kimbers in last 2 years and I love them. Had a problem or two but what the hell. I still love them will still buy more. Had problems with my first wife, I didn't switch teams. I got me an other one. Some people just want to bitch about something, mainly because they are unhappy in life and want everyone to know it. Lol. So what if I go to the range and shoot 500 rounds and have a FTF. What's the big deal. The people who purchased a Kimber and don't like it. Get rid of it, Go buy a Taurus, maybe closer in your price range. Join the Taurus forum and listen to them bitch about them
The thing about having a hobby or sport that you love is going out doing it, working on it, making your gun better, yourself better. Finding friends to enjoy it with you. Tinker with it, play with it. And so on. If someone is going to get pissed off everytime they go out shooting, Sell your guns and take up knitting.

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

What zoomy said!!!
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

I've definitely changed my attitude toward my firearms. I no longer invest any emotion in them or use terms like love, to describe my feelings about a certain firearm. To me theyre only tools. Form follows function and feel in my opinion or at least it should. Now I'm not opposed to a gun also being pretty as I have fallen for that many times in the past however my opinion of one certain firearm is So-lo that I've been chastised and accused of bashing that model so I shall not mention it's name.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #8

My Solo has been flawless so far. If I should ever have a failure I don't think I would trash it but rather work around what caused it and move forward from there.
However my wife's Micro is a different story as it has demonstrated the ( now recognized ) failure to fully return to battery and no this was not due to improper slide release.
Am I going to trash her Micro? Certainly not as I'm certain this is simply either a break in or tweaking problem that can be resolved ( much as was with the early Solo's ).
History is replete of instances where new production model semi automatic hand guns initially had problems that were eventually worked out to result in fine dependable hand guns.
If one were to throw out in the trash every one of these hand guns that ever had a problem there would not be many left from which to chose from.
Damn, this or that gun had once failed so I dare not trust my life to it may have a ring of truth to it but the reality is that most have had a failure of one kind or other at some time during their development.
The safest bet for those skeptical would be to stay away from any model until it has had time to get all the bugs worked out ( which I certainly believe the current Solo's have ) but each to their own comfort zone.
5Wire and Cucamonga kid like this.

Last edited by Trex; 05-22-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

Kid you really should get a life. You bash the Solo at every opportunity and we get it. Now please go away and let folks who have constructive things to say about it good or bad have an opportunity. Surely the guns you do like have forums why not go on them and sing their praises instead of peeing in everybody's oats here.
Nellybelle and The Colonel like this.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #10
Banned

Am I the only one confused? It was people, now it's kid. Who is at the forefront of all this?
2sharp2, Zoomybaby, OLE442 and 3 others like this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote