Barrel Rattle from Solo DC - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Solo Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #1

Barrel Rattle from Solo DC

Howdy, folks.

New member, first post, but been around the block at other forums.

I was hoping for some confirmations regarding a few issues I've been having with this particular gun. I've had a half dozen FTE issues, but then again I only have 150 rounds through the gun, so I'm hoping that this just amounts to 'teething problems' for this gun and it'll improve. It does run counter to Kimber's stated 24 round break-in regimen, so I'm gonna have to call BS on that account.

However what I'm now noticing is a very disturbing 'rattle' when the slide is locked forward. Not only does the entire slide 'knock' when I shake the gun, but the barrel itself is not fully in lockup and has movement fore/aft. Suffice to say, it's more than a little disturbing.

Yes, I've seen the posts about the barrel rattle when the slide is locked back - that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about when the slide is fully forward and the barrel is (supposed to be) in lockup. When I place a magazine in the receiver, the slide 'knock' goes away, so fine - that's just tolerances in the machining. But that loose barrel is totally unacceptable. Could this explain the FTE issues I've been having? Do I just need to shoot her more?

I'm not new to 1911's (I own a Custom Elite II), and have never had a single peep of trouble out of that one, so I don't think it's anything I'm doing wrong, but it's possible I might be missing something along the way.

And, just because I'm on a roll, don't get me started with this crappy KimPro finish. The gun isn't three boxes of ammo old and the finish is worn from the magazine well, under the safety and along the slide rails, though that's more or less to be expected. What's not expected is that sort of wear so soon from a "diamond-like coating".

Hope someone can give me some encouragement here, because I really, really, really don't want to have to send her back to Kimber.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

Welcome from a Tennessean...don't have one like that but have another Kimber. Common guys....where is everyone at? Advice....
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Hammerhead, I'm sorry but I'm not a Solo owner and can't offer any suggestions but to give Kimber's customer service a call.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #4

Definitely call customer service and send it back to get it YONKERED.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

I own a solo and what you are describing isn't right. As chuck and cuca said, send her back to Yonkers. As for the finish mine is a sts so I cannot comment.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

Yonkers will put a whole new top end on that pistol if they have to. But unfortunately on the frame finish your kind of stuck with that. I had the same problem with my solos. It's as if they don't expect you to holster that or shoot it and use it very much because the finish is about as durable as Krylon paint.
Oops, hope Marshall ain't watching.😳
Tejun likes this.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #7

I own a Solo DC LG and none of what you describe is normal.
When the slide is locked forward ( with or without a mag in it ) there is zero movement/ rattle of the barrel or slide. Absolutely tight as a drum.
With a couple hundred rounds through mine the " Diamond Like Finnish" is still like new on mine.
Could you post pictures? Especially of where the finish has come off under the safety.
As I've said mine still is as new and I can't imagine such wear with so little usage.
Definitely should not be doing this and you should send it back to Kimber as something is not right about this gun.
The only problem I've ever had with my Solo was with the eight round magazines which I've discarded as crap.
What kind of ammo were you having the FTE problems with?
the iceman likes this.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

The DLC and the KimPro finish are different aren't they?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

Welcome to the site from Tennessee! Like Chuck and a few others I don't own a Solo, so I agree send it back to the Mothership.
I don't need to own a Solo to know the rattle problem and issues you are having are not normal.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:10 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
The DLC and the KimPro finish are different aren't they?
Yes, of course they are.
I believe the DLC is used on the slide and barrel assembly while the frame would still be the same KimPro finish Kimber uses on their other guns.

DLC Coating - Diamond-Like Carbon Coating - CeraTough?-D

Wear on the frame should be just like any other KimPro finish used on other Kimbers.
The DLC , however, should be very resistant to the same wear as the KimPro finish is.
The KimPro would tend to wear on the rails and around the magazine feed area and this is why some prefer the SS models.
Wear under the safety with only 150 rounds through a relatively new gun, however, would be rather rare.
Something may be amiss with his safety as mine dose not rub against the frame when used.

Last edited by Trex; 05-29-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote