Open/Conceal Carry in Police Confrontaitions - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

Open/Conceal Carry in Police Confrontaitions

The recent incidents both in Minnesota and Dallas give me cause for concern.
Conceal carry such as in the Minnesota incident brings out the potential of getting shot after informing the officer you are a licensed conceal carry and are instructed to produce said license.
How do you insure the officer doesn't mistake you going for your ID/license as going for the concealed weapon?
In the open carry such as in Dallas, in an active shooter situation with police on scene looking for active shooter/shooters, how do you not get mistaken for one of the armed assailants?
Both very real situations that could end badly for you.
I think conceal carry is definitely safer than open carry but still has potential for going wrong when confronted by law enforcement.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #2

It's really very simple, you put both your hands on the wheel, identify yourself, explain the situation, then ask the Officers what He wants you to do next.

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

You could also photo copy your Id, registration, carry permit. Keep above visor. Show him that first , then wait for instructions.

Chuck43, OLE442, Markie and 2 others like this.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

If your on the street, an Officer approaches you and your open carrying, stop, show him your hands, wait for instructions

Chuck43, Markie and Cucamonga kid like this.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Zoomybaby View Post
If your on the street, an Officer approaches you and your open carrying, stop, show him your hands, wait for instructions
As in your earlier recommendation, perhaps having your ID/ Carry license on your person where it can be easily shown without being mistaken for going for your open carry or a concealed weapon? perhaps an upper shirt pocket if possible?
In a active shooter situation, carrying a gun ( even licensed ) would certainly put you at greater risk.
Chuck43, Zoomybaby and Spotly like this.

Last edited by Trex; 07-09-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #6

If it's a traffic stop, then my wallet would be on the seat before the cop ever gets close to the car. If asked for my ID, then I would hand over my Driver's License along with my CCW License (they're next to each other in my wallet), while telling him that my issuing agency requires that I inform him. There's no reason to say "gun" while in that situation.

If it was an encounter while standing, then I might inform the cop that the Sheriff of xxx County has authorized me to carry a concealed weapon. Then I would ask for instructions on retrieving identification.

Easy peasy. No need to get all worked up about it.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #7

I've been pulled over while carrying a weapon. First thing I did was license, registration and insurance in hand. It was at 1:30 in the morning so I turned on the dome light and hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel with drivers side window down. Informed the officer I had a permit and was carrying my weapon. He said thank you and let me go with a warning. No big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RickOShay, Chuck43, Markie and 1 others like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #8

I despise carrying a wallet and it sits on the center console at all times.

When/if I get pulled over it immediately goes on the dash by the steering wheel..

We are not required to tell the police if we have a concealed carry permit, but I would tell them immediately while my hands are on the steering wheel and then wait for instructions..

I have never had an issue with one police officer following those guidelines.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #9

I think I am going to make a copy of our insurance card and registration and put them in an easy to get too location, rather than the glove compartment. For the last year I have been keeping my wallet out of my rear pocket because it tends to make that side of my lower posterior hurt. I know that our carry permits have the same number as our driver's license. If they run them they will know automatically. My wife just had her driver's license renewed online...it came back with the same photo that is on her carry permit.
RustyIron likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Markie View Post
I think I am going to make a copy of our insurance card and registration and put them in an easy to get too location, rather than the glove compartment. For the last year I have been keeping my wallet out of my rear pocket because it tends to make that side of my lower posterior hurt. I know that our carry permits have the same number as our driver's license. If they run them they will know automatically. My wife just had her driver's license renewed online...it came back with the same photo that is on her carry permit.
Yes, I believe the key is to have/keep your ID/licenses in a location that can be accessed in a non-threatening location in your car or on your person.
Keeping your hands in full view and showing a willingness to co-operate just makes common sense to me.
In an active shooter situation with police presence, keeping your firearm holstered or in a non-threatening ( slung over your back ) positon also makes sense.
Trying to use your firearm to assist the police would be a dumb move in most cases but could make sense to use if needed for immediate response to save a life.
Chuck43 and Markie like this.