• 1 Post By Chuck43
  • 2 Post By Snowflake9mm
  • 3 Post By fifthgear
  • 1 Post By Lineman
  • 1 Post By JC45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

Range Report

I was in FL last week and had a opportunity to shoot at a range with a Meggitt XWT target retrieval system. Many of you have probably used one, especially if you are a LEO, but it was our first time. What a great training tool for anyone to use! The system we used was preprogramed to automatically move your target from 3 yards to 25 yards, turns sideways, backwards, and frontwards simulating a threat retreating or moving towards you. When it's front facing you have a 3-4 second pause to eliminate the threat before it either turns or retreats.

I know, I should have videotaped it to show you what I am talking about but I didn't think about it at the time, I was having too much fun! This will give you an idea of what it was about:

So for any of you Atlanta-ish members, I found that Stoddard's Gun Range in west midtown Atlanta has a Meggitt target retrieval system. If you have a range near you with a Meggitt system, you should give it a try!

It was the best time I've had on the range since I took an AR-15 training class!
Insta-Gator, Markie and JC45 like this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #2

That is too cool...I would love to try that out as well as holster drawing like blondie does in the video......My range forbids that...
starnovi likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
That is too cool...I would love to try that out as well as holster drawing like blondie does in the video......My range forbids that...
Yeah, range we were at didn't allow holster draws either, just shooting from resting position, or low ready. Was an interesting training tool though. Wish more ranges had this interactive program.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Damn, that looks like a lot of fun.
starnovi likes this.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

That does look like fun.... Our range at Gander Mountain has a 360 degree simulator that I want to try out. We also have a virtual range that uses modified glocks that's pretty fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Markie and starnovi like this.

"I do not carry a pistol so I can impose my will on someone else. I carry a pistol so someone else cannot impose their will on me! - Lynn Givens, Rangemaster"
Snowflake9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

That is pretty cool!

And I thought when I went from shooting into a pile of dirt that a normal inside range was high tech LOL
Markie, starnovi and Snowflake9mm like this.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:58 AM   #7

Exclamation That's Cool!!

Thanks for posting that, Florence!! That is really interesting. I'd love to give that a try. That system has got to cost the range some big bucks!!!

My local range allows LEO's and a few selected civilian individuals to shoot from the draw (me included). I have done a lot of this over the years and have built up very good muscle memory for this procedure. Therefore, in the interest of safety, I limit my use of it at the range.

The average shooter should not try this exercise. They should work on it as a dry fire procedure. The main concentration should be on the practices of coming from the holster with the trigger finger along side the frame, not inside the trigger guard. Special care should be taken not to cover any part of the body, specially the support hand and arm, with the muzzle as the draw is being made. The supporting hand should be kept clear of the pistol until it has been raised to just above mid-body height, then bringing the supporting hand over to meet the strong hand on the pistol grip.

Only when these actions have become second nature should the actual draw be practiced with a loaded pistol. Remember, there is no such thing as an accident with a gun. If an incident occurs, you did something wrong!!

Good shooting everyone. PLEASE BE SAFE!!

MAYHEM IS EVERYWHERE THESE DAYS!!
STAY ARMED MY FRIENDS!!

MAYHEM.jpg
starnovi likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 07-11-2016 at 02:01 AM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:29 AM   #8

That does look like fun.
starnovi likes this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #9

Wink

Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post
Thanks for posting that, Florence!! That is really interesting. I'd love to give that a try. That system has got to cost the range some big bucks!!!

My local range allows LEO's and a few selected civilian individuals to shoot from the draw (me included). I have done a lot of this over the years and have built up very good muscle memory for this procedure. Therefore, in the interest of safety, I limit my use of it at the range.

The average shooter should not try this exercise. They should work on it as a dry fire procedure. The main concentration should be on the practices of coming from the holster with the trigger finger along side the frame, not inside the trigger guard. Special care should be taken not to cover any part of the body, specially the support hand and arm, with the muzzle as the draw is being made. The supporting hand should be kept clear of the pistol until it has been raised to just above mid-body height, then bringing the supporting hand over to meet the strong hand on the pistol grip.

Only when these actions have become second nature should the actual draw be practiced with a loaded pistol. Remember, there is no such thing as an accident with a gun. If an incident occurs, you did something wrong!!

Good shooting everyone. PLEASE BE SAFE!!

MAYHEM IS EVERYWHERE THESE DAYS!!
STAY ARMED MY FRIENDS!!

Attachment 17337

Keith, a while back I took a concealed carry class that was taught by an active duty LEO, and I was surprised at the things he has us do in class. It was a good class, lots of info, and I gained much from it, but I thought some of the things we had to were a bit dangerous for a non-professional. I usually just practice drawing in front of the mirror with an empty pistol. And like you said, good muscle memory is key; I just need a few thousand more hours for that!
Old 07-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

We have a new range that is supposed to built near us...hope they have something like this. I go to an indoor range in Florida when I can, I love the AC and the ability to be able to set your target at a specified distance. I think most indoor ranges don't want you to practice drawing for safety. Last time we went to the indoor range we noticed where someone had blasted a divider between stations. We go to an outdoor range when the weather is good to shoot...I don't think they care if you practice your quick draw.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote