Kimber Talk Forums banner

Basic question of mags

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Markie 
#1 ·
I have owned my first Kimber for a little over a year now. It's a Custom Crimson Carry II with green laser sights. I ABSOLUTELY love it. I've owned both Ruger and Sig handguns for many years now. They're fine, but nowhere near my Kimber. I shoot so incredibly well with this gun, it's almost like magic. I carry it concealed IWB 4:00 every day (in my car while I'm on duty) and it's very comfortable.
I'm considering getting the Utra Crimson Carry II as a backup weapon for use in an ankle holster. Question: Will the mags from my Custom Carry fit in the Ultra Carry? I understand that the longer mags would extend below the butt of the grip. But otherwise, would it work? In addition to carrying my Custom Carry, I also carry 2 extra mags. If the same extra mags would fit in both primary and backup weapon, that would be a great advantage, as I'm sure you could see.
Thanks for your forum and answers. I've learned alot reading already.

#2 ·
I do not conceal carry but I would think the ultra might be a bit large for the ankle the micro nine I think might be more suitable. Like I said I do not carry I am just giving you something else to consider.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois DesertRich, yes the magazines will work in your Ultra size gun. I carry an ultra Tactical with 2 spare full size 8 round magazines.

#7 ·
Welcome to the site from Tennessee! As already posted full size magazines will fit and function in a Ultra size but not the other way around. Ultra magazine will not fit a full size.

Reactions: Chuck43
#8 ·
Don't care for ankle carry, just try to run sometime while ankle carrying. But if you do, smaller and lighter the better. I would want something much smaller then a Ultra. When I carry a back up gun, it's always a Glock 43 or a Kahr PM9. They are pocket carried in my support side front pants pocket.

#10 ·
Oh, Monty, you dog, you!! :eek::eek::eek:

#11 ·
Hey Here!! (It's a Southern Thing!!!)

Welcome to KT from beautiful downtown Monroe, Georgia!!!
Font Display device Gas Magenta Midnight

Congrats on the new Custom Crimson Carry II. I know how you feel about how your Kimber shoots. I am fond of saying that my Kimber can shoot better than I can. If you feel like showing off, Kimber is the tool to use!!! :D:D:D

Others have already answered your question about the full size mags fitting a Ultra size pistol. I am also with the majority thinking that an Ultra in an ankle holster would be a lot of weight to haul around. In addition, you might look a bit conspicuous wearing a pair of super wide bell bottom pants to hide a pistol that size on your ankle!!! You just can't find good polyester any more, since disco died!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Maybe think about the new S&W M&P Shield in .45 ACP tucked in a front pocket! That is a whole lot of bark in a small package!! Of course 1911 mags won't work with that. Of course you could go with a smaller caliber, like maybe a micro 9 or a micro .380.

Let us know what you come up with. Looking forward to hearing from you in the future.

#12 ·
Thanks to all of you for the very warm welcome and the the great thoughts and info. Really loved the thigh pic!
I do agree that the Ultra is a bit heavy for an ankle holster. But I was weighing the sdvantage of similar mags to the disadvantage of weight. Not a big fan of revolvers, but the idea of reloading from my current mags is interesting.
I'll give this all more thought..... Thanks, again, for all the great suggestions!

#13 ·
Welcome to KT from Northeast, Pa. I tried to ankle carry a Springfield XD-40 3" and it didn't work out as I planned. I just didn't like that it always felt like it was sliding down my ankle. I would agree with the others that recommended something smaller and lighter than an Ultra.

#14 ·
Welcome to the Forum from a Middle Tennessean. Ankle gun....have you looked at a M & P Bodyguard 380? I have one and love it for carry IWB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.