Kimber Talk Forums banner

Ammo advise

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Lineman 
#1 ·
I am getting my Kimber Pro Carry II, 9mm and I was wondering if anyone could recommend what ammo to break it in with.

#3 ·
Ditto on what GMountain suggested. I used a variety of calibers and factory ammo. I still use mostly 124/147 gr and have never had an issue. Once your gun is out of warranty {1yr} give Freedom Munition a try. It's inexpensive reman but quite a few members use it and love it.

Page 18 of your owners manual..
{The use of reloaded, “remanufactured”, hand-
loaded or other non-standard ammunition
voids all warranties.}

#4 ·
I have a Pro Carry II .45 and have 1600 rounds down range with one FTF at about 750 rounds, which is when Kimber says the recoil spring needs to be replaced. (At 800 rounds per manual). I did try a box of cheaper (PMC) ammo about that time and was using stock Kimber magazines. So I can't say for sure if the FTF was caused by A) ammo B) worn recoil spring C) magazine D) a poltergeist or E) all of these combined. It was probably a poltergeist of course, but I started using Federal American Eagle 230 gr. FMJ, bought Wilson Combate Elite Tactical Magazines, installed a Wilson Combat Flat-Wire recoil spring kit (#651) and called an exorcist. The exorcism obviously worked because my PCII has shot flawlessly since.

I have standardized on American Eagle ammo too. It's available, pretty clean and not prohibitively expensive. And it always goes bang.

#6 · (Edited)
Good Hardball!!

Just feed you new Kimber a diet of first line quality hardball for the first 500 rounds. That should settle in all the moving gizmos and do-dads. Once broke in, then you can experiment and discover what type of defensive ammo your particular pistol likes. You may also check into some "inexpensive" ammo after the break in. You may discover some that your pistol likes and digests. Steer away from steel cased stuff. It's all kind of relative after the break in!! ;);)

Keep in mind that some European loaded 9mm ammo is much hotter than American manufactured stuff!!:eek::eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.