Point of impact - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lineman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 06:03 PM  

Point of impact

I recently put a set of meprolight (Kimber) night sights on my custom II. It shoots dead on windage wise, but about 2" high with 230 grain and 200 grain. I can't add to the front sight or lower the rear since they are fixed on this model. Has anyone else experienced this? Not a really big deal, but I'm a perfectionist and it kinda bugs me.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 PM  

Hmmm. Lotta unknowns here. Distance being a biggie. 2 inches high at how many feet? Windage? Have you checked it indoors?
Nigerian Lottery Winner
Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 PM  

I'm guessing that you are speaking of 2" high shooting at paper targets, correct? What are you using as your aiming point? Are you aiming dead on at the center of the bull or using a 6 o'clock hold? The 6 o'clock hold is aligning the front sight up, centered in the notch of the rear sight and the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight. Then the aiming at the 6 o'clock position of the bullseye. In other words, create a lollipop with the bull sitting on top of the front sight.

If you are currently aiming dead on and hitting 2" high, switch to the 6 o'clock hold. This technique is commonly used by many NRA bullseye shooters and should more center your grouping. If you are already using a 6 o'clock hold, you will need to find a taller front sight or obtain a set of adjustable rear sights to bring the point of impact to your point of aim.
PorscheVille likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Old 04-11-2014, 02:32 AM  

As mentioned the sight picture or hold will make a difference as most fixed fighting sights are set for a dead hold not 6 o clock or bullseye hold. The latter changes with each distance. What are you using and at what distance.

A change of front sight may be needed for the desired impact you want. There a way to calculate the correct front sight height for you but first the poi/poa must be decided upon.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:01 AM  

Sorry I didn't expound on the variables more. Shooting a six o'clock hold at about 12 yards. 230 grain estate range ammo and 200 grain handloads. Shooting from a rest ( bed of the pickup) and firing three shot groups. I had thought about the front sight being too short, and I wonder if Meprolight makes a different height. Guess I'll have to check. As this is my EDC, I don't want to put adjustable sights on it. I may just have to live with it. The poi is fine for self defense purposes, I'm just a nit picker on trying to make all my guns shoot "perfectly."
Old 04-11-2014, 05:39 AM  

36 feet and 2 inches high with your EDC what's the problem?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 AM  
bbs

I'm like Nineround, I like my poa & poi to be the same without any hold off.
Just picky I guess, but that is what I prefer.
I've had my Custom II for 6 months now and just the other day the front sight came out of the dovetail while I was shooting (200gr swc target rounds).
I figure as long as its out I might as well look for a fiber sight for it.
Yes, I can replace the sight, but I prefer to get a fiber sight to be able to at least see it better with these old eyes of mine.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 AM  
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois bbs, how about stopping by our new member introduction forum and introduce yourself to the membership.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 PM  

Was the truck moving?

Just kidding. Two inches off at 36 feet seems pretty good to me. Unless you put it in a vice and take the shooter out of the equation, I'm not sure how you can know it's the gun. Unless you're one of those guys who can toss a quarter in the air and hit it. I'd think your heartbeat alone could throw you off an inch!
Nigerian Lottery Winner

Search tags for this page
kimber poa poi

kimber point of aim

kimber point of aim or 6 o'clock hold

kimber pro carry ii point of aim

kimber ultra carry poa/poi

point of aim kimber solo
point of aim with kimber pro carry ii
what is the point of impace of a kimber solo
Click on a term to search for related topics.