Frustration kicking in.... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

Frustration kicking in....

In the little over a month of owning the Kimber Stainless Pro Carry, I've had this problem of FTF/FTE on the second last round in the mag. This happens every time after I've shot around 30 - 35 rounds. I usually like to load 5 rounds at a time, across the variety of mags and go through some exercises while on the range. After every range session, I thoroughly clean the gun. And problem repeats. Here are somethings that I've tried so far
  • Bought new Wilson Combat Mags and tried - Same results
  • I have used a variety of ammo - Winchester, Fiocchi, Lawman, Tula, Freedom, Federal etc., and it still has the same problem after the 5th or 6th mag change.
  • Removed the extractor, cleaned it, and even tried to adjust the tension (just by hand and no tools - I might not have done anything to the tension this way). Problem goes away for a few mags and then repeats.
  • Had the armorer at the Range take a look at it. He found no issues either.

Basically, it leads me to believe that the dust accumulation behind the extractor is the cause. The reasoning behind this is that if I run a wire brush behind that extractor when it jams, it will work find for another 30-35 rounds and then repeat the problem.

Here's what it looks like when it fails. PS: This is not my gun, Found the picture online and just reposting. Credit goes to the picture owner.

At this point, I'm starting to think if this was a bad decision to buy a Kimber. I bought it used, from the RSO at the range, and he's been concerned that his old gun is giving so many issues to me.

Any pointers would be helpful.
unleashd is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by unleashd View Post
Basically, it leads me to believe that the dust accumulation behind the extractor is the cause. The reasoning behind this is that if I run a wire brush behind that extractor when it jams, it will work find for another 30-35 rounds and then repeat the problem.
I had a friend that was experiencing the same type of problem, in his case he had gotten oil on the extractor. A good cleaning solved his problem, I don't know if that's your problem but I thought it was worth throwing out there.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I had a friend that was experiencing the same type of problem, in his case he had gotten oil on the extractor. A good cleaning solved his problem, I don't know if that's your problem but I thought it was worth throwing out there.
Chuck
Good pointer. But as I said, the cleaning solves the problem, but only briefly. After a few mags, it repeats. So far, I've used both Hoppe as well as Froglube to clean/lube the gun. Usually I leave some oil after the cleaning and when the gun's in the safe, and then before I shoot, I wipe the gun down with a clean microfiber cloth to remove all the excess.

Is this a standard problem with all 1911's? or is it 'cos the Kimber is manufactured with very low tolerances? I have two Springfield Armory guns and they will not complain about number of rounds, quality of ammo, length of usage, dust in the magwell/chamber etc.

Last edited by unleashd; 04-14-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The problem you're having is not normal with 1911's and can be resolved. Even though you bought the gun used, give Kimber a call. They will be able to make it right.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

Wink Oh Yeah........!!!!

I'm with Steve!! Give the folks at Kimber a call. It doesn't cost anything to try!! They are very friendly professionals and they will take care of your pistols ailment.

Just for my 2 cents worth, this sounds like it may be recoil spring issue, specially since it is a used pistol. Ask your RSO friend, the previous owner, how many rounds he put through the pistol. I'm just sayin'.........!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #6

Used buyer as well

I bought my kimber used as well. No way to how many rounds have been thru it. The Pro sizes have had some reported FTF issues related to springs, and the main spring is cake to replace, and cheap!

You can do the wolff spring for under 10$ or you can look into the Wilson Combat flat spring which has a much longer life. That kit does cost $50 but has some nicer machined 1 piece replacements for your gun and the replacement spring is actually only 10$ after that. The new spring has eliminated any FTF issues I was having.
Richard likes this.

The people of Dubai don't find the Flinstones funny, but the people of Abu Dhabi do.
Elidar73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

Unleashd,
I have a Stainless Pro Carry II and have had only one FTF in 1600 rounds fired. Mine happened somewhere around 750 rounds. The Kimber recoil spring is supposed to be changed at 800 rounds. Coincidence? Maybe. Personally, I believe it was a poltergeist who decided to occupy my weapon. That said, I put in a Wilson Combat Flat-Wire Spring Kit (#651) and had an exorcist say some mumbo jumbo and voilą, it has shot flawlessly ever since. So, what you are experiencing isn't normal. I agree that the recoil spring being worn out is MAYBE more likely than a poltergeist. Maybe. I highly recommend that Wilson kit although some here do fine just replacing the spring only.
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #8

Wink Evil Spirit du Jour

This does not sound like a poltergeist issue to me. As Unleashd described it, it totally sounds to me like a "Booger Man" is the Evil Spirit du Jour!! Either that or a Skunk Ape/Sasquatch!!

Sasquatch.jpg

Unleashd, try replacing the recoil spring with a standard issue model. They don't cost much. If that clears the problem, you're good and you can invest in the Wilson Combat spring later if you want. Get your pistol working reliably first!!! Just sayin'................. I really believe that it had to be a Sasquatch!!!
PorscheVille and Richard like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #9

Well
I've placed orders for a WC Recoil spring, as well as a new extractor (Just in case). Let's hope these will fix the problem. Until then, it's going to be clean-shoot-clean routine.

Hope these new parts will help me shoo away the sasquatch and the boogerman
Old 04-15-2014, 03:12 AM   #10

I was just wondering if you have contacted Kimber as yet?