Do you carry in certain "no gun zones" - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

Do you carry in certain "no gun zones"

While running errands this morning, I found myself at Costco and did not think about whether it was a gun free zone or not until I was already shopping around. I did a quick search on my phone and found a bunch of articles about Costco being a gun free zone, to boycott Costco, Costco employee confronts concealed carrier & tells him to leave...among other articles. I went on with my shopping and upon leaving the store I looked around for any gun ban signs which I did not see. Anyway, I didn't think it was a big deal since there was no sign but I wouldn't want a freaking employee hunting me down because he thought I was carrying. Anyway, carrying concealed means it should be concealed so I didn't feel that was an issue. My question is what do you do in similar situations?...continue shopping, go out to car & store gun, or just go shop somewhere else? Thanks for the input.

Last edited by starnovi; 08-22-2016 at 11:17 AM.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #2

A. I follow Georgia law.
B. I don't shop where restrictions are clearly posted.
C. I honor medical facility signage.
Nellybelle, Chuck43 and starnovi like this.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
While running errands this morning, I found myself at Costco and did not think about whether it was a gun free zone or not until I was already shopping around. I did a quick search on my phone and found a bunch of articles about Costco being a gun free zone, to ban Costco, Costco employee confronts concealed carrier & tells him to leave...among other articles. I went on with my shopping and upon leaving the store I looked around for any gun ban signs which I did not see. Anyway, I didn't think it was a big deal since there was no sign but I wouldn't want a freaking employee hunting me down because he thought I was carrying. Anyway, carrying concealed means it should be concealed so I didn't feel that was an issue. My question is what do you do in similar situations?...continue shopping, go out to car & store gun, or just go shop somewhere else? Thanks for the input.
Quick answer for me is continue shopping. I'm carrying concealed and unless the location has the proper, legal Tennessee sign with codes I go in anyway. I wont make a habit of spending money in a place posted against CC.
I leave pistol locked in the trunk at the post office, bank, movie theater, hospitals. However I have on occasion carried into the movie theater because I disagree with there policy, especially after dark.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #4

I carry everyday. When going to other places of business, I always look at front doors looking for the "sign". I have not seen that sign on any places I go. I have the CCW app for my phone and also has a "no weapons" link. I have checked it out but only shows Chuckee Cheese Pizza and Toy R Us. I do not attend the places, so all good! IF I saw one of these signs at a place I was going, I would probably get what I came for then never go back?
starnovi likes this.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #5

No Beretta 92's or Taurus PT 92's allowed; everything else is OK. Carry on
Attached Images
File Type: png image.png (142.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #6

While running errands this morning, I found myself at Costco and did not think about whether it was a gun free zone or not until I was already shopping around. I did a quick search on my phone and found a bunch of articles about Costco being a gun free zone, to ban Costco, Costco employee confronts concealed carrier & tells him to leave...among other articles. I went on with my shopping and upon leaving the store I looked around for any gun ban signs which I did not see. Anyway, I didn't think it was a big deal since there was no sign but I wouldn't want a freaking employee hunting me down because he thought I was carrying. Anyway, carrying concealed means it should be concealed so I didn't feel that was an issue. My question is what do you do in similar situations?...continue shopping, go out to car & store gun, or just go shop somewhere else? Thanks for the input.
I had not heard/read anything about Costco either. In Texas there are signage requirements. On two occasions I have walked up to an establishment to find the required signs prohibiting open/concealed carry (I never open carry). In those two instances, I chose to go back to vehicle and leave my CC weapon while taking care of what I went to do, but past that, I try to find other businesses that do not prohibit it to do business with. I have found myself in situations where I was already in an establishment before I saw the signage. On one occasion we had been going to a neighborhood restaurant. We walk there as its close to our home, and I would have my CC weapon as generally it was after dark when we'd leave to go home. After going there several times, the street entrance door (which had always been open on previous trips) was closed, and on the back was the 51% sign. We chose to remain through the meal and left immediatly after. We still go, but not as often as I cannot carry, and prefer not to chance it.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and starnovi like this.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #7

If you are concealing properly, not a soul should ever know that you are armed unless the situation becomes critical. If that happens, then I'm gonna bet no one will complain that you broke the rule.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
If you are concealing properly, not a soul should ever know that you are armed unless the situation becomes critical. If that happens, then I'm gonna bet no one will complain that you broke the rule.
Yeah made me wonder about the person that was asked to leave the store. It happened in Arizona which also has an open carry law. Well, guess the best thing to do in that circumstance is to leave the store, no point in getting into it with them. Again, there were no signs posted at the Arizona store or the Georgia store that I was at today.

Costco Employee Actively Seeks Out Concealed Carrier, Tells Him To Leave Store, Management Agrees ? Concealed Nation
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I have no problem not carrying into places like the Post Office, Doctor's Office, Hospitals and other government buildings. I won't do business with any other place that chooses to turn their place of business into a gun free zone. What I do is go back to my truck and disarm myself then I go in and ask for the owner or manager and give them a card and explain why I won't be spending any money with them.

2sharp2, Lineman, OLE442 and 6 others like this.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #10

While running errands this morning, I found myself at Costco and did not think about whether it was a gun free zone or not until I was already shopping around. I did a quick search on my phone and found a bunch of articles about Costco being a gun free zone, to boycott Costco, Costco employee confronts concealed carrier & tells him to leave...among other articles. I went on with my shopping and upon leaving the store I looked around for any gun ban signs which I did not see. Anyway, I didn't think it was a big deal since there was no sign but I wouldn't want a freaking employee hunting me down because he thought I was carrying. Anyway, carrying concealed means it should be concealed so I didn't feel that was an issue. My question is what do you do in similar situations?...continue shopping, go out to car & store gun, or just go shop somewhere else? Thanks for the input.
In Georgia the only gun free zones are schools, jails, court houses, government building that have security entrance (open government buildings are not gun free zones), churches - unless you receive permission, federal buildings. Signs posted by businesses do NOT have the force of law. However, if you are in one and they notice your gun, they can ask you to leave. You must comply or be arrested for criminal trespass. (I'm not a lawyer, so you'll want to do your own research)

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/geor...ces_Off_Limits
starnovi likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)

Last edited by Insta-Gator; 08-22-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote