Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BugSlayer
  • 1 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By BugSlayer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

Super Carry Pro Short Range Report

Hey All,

You may remember I posted some time ago about my safety becoming disconnected from my Super Carry Pro? After many long weeks I finally got it back. The upshot of the repair was that I got a new frame, along with a new serial number which required return via an FFL.

So you know, this weapon has approximately 8K rounds through it, was purchased new be me in early 2013 and has been an EDC for the last two to two and a half years. In spite of being well out of warranty, the customer service rep immediately sent UPS shipping labels along with instructions for returning. The gun was returned to me on Kimbers nickel as well. My out of pocket expense was the fee charged by my LGS.

I had read remarks that Kimber test fired guns but did not clean them before returning but, when I broke mine down for cleaning, I was surprised to see that it had been cleaned to some extent. I suspect they use some sort of 'bath' to accomplish this prior to shipping? I cleaned it anyway and lubed it as I think a new frame should be treated as a new gun?

When I got to the range I fired two magazines with no failures to feed and none to eject! Note that feeding and ejecting have not been problems since somewhere around 400 rounds but I feared a new break in period may be in order?

But (there's always one of those) on the third magazine, near the last four rounds, the gun double fired! I mean I pulled the trigger once and sent two rounds down range, one after the other. This happened very quickly and was quite a surprise! I immediately thought that I was not maintaining a firm grip and tightened up. My thought was that I had forgotten how to fire my own pistol!

Unfortunately this continued throughout the 150 rounds I put through it for a total of 6 times.

I eMailed my contact at Kimber, Allan Stipe and he was at a loss but offered to send shipping labels to get it back for another look. I told Allan that I did not want to send it back for a problem that was 'Operator Error' and took it back to the range. This time I took the WC flat wire kit w/full length guide rod. When I got the same double fire, I replaced the factory guide rod with the WC kit. Unfortunately that had no effect.

So my gun is on its way back to Kimber and I am back to carrying my S&W 3913. Hopefully this will not take a long time?

I will say that I am still impressed with the customer service of the Kimber team! This weapon has been out of warranty for something around three and a half years and has been an EDC that has been shot often. It would have been very easy for Kimber to fall back on age but they have stepped up each time!

I own other guns but prefer to train with what I carry however the next gun I acquire, regardless of the outcome of this episode, will be a Kimber.

Now, which one .....

Russ
DaVinci likes this.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #2

Hopefully they get it back to you soon. Great CS story!
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Kimber stands behind their guns. Weird about the double shot, did you see if anybody else might of had same result?

Old 09-07-2016, 10:51 PM   #4

That is is one of the more interesting range reports I have read. Tell me that second shot were you able to maintain your POA? I have never had something like that happen. It would definitely would cause me to take a breath or change my shorts. I like your loyalty to Kimber. Keep us posted.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:05 AM   #5

I hope you get it back soon, I would hate to send it back again but like you said it's out of warranty and they're taking care of it for free.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
Kimber stands behind their guns. Weird about the double shot, did you see if anybody else might of had same result?
No, the first time it was only my wife on the range with me. The second time was a few days and another cleaning later. That was when I tried the Wilson Flat Wire and full size guide rod with the same result as the stock components.

Russ
Old 09-08-2016, 05:46 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I'm glad to hear that Kimber is taking care of your gun, the Super Carry Pro is my all time favorite Kimber. The problem with the unintentional double firing has nothing to do with the recoil spring, the trigger needs to be adjusted.
Nellybelle likes this.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #8

Tell me that second shot were you able to maintain your POA?

I wish! The second shot was very quick and occurred on the recoil. Even after it happened and I was expecting another, I was not able to control it. Funny thing, I did put one in the abdomen with the second dead square between the eyes. I thought that if I could do that on command I would be a pro!

The problem with the unintentional double firing has nothing to do with the recoil spring, the trigger needs to be adjusted.

No doubt you are correct but changing the spring is the extent of my limited expertise! Now its time to let the pros have a go at it!

Russ
Chuck43 likes this.