Kimber Talk Forums banner

Customer Service Never Answers

3K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  bhunted 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon,

I've been trying to call customer service all day. I wanted to see the cost to get my 1911 repainted. It had some rust on the barrel so I cleaned it.

Also as the title suggests. I haven't spoken to a person all day. It just goes in a nonstop loop.

V/R,

SSG James Verzwyvelt

#2 ·
Good Afternoon,

I've been trying to call customer service all day. I wanted to see the cost to get my 1911 repainted. It had some rust on the barrel so I cleaned it.

Also as the title suggests. I haven't spoken to a person all day. It just goes in a nonstop loop.

V/R,

SSG James Verzwyvelt
Do yourself a favor and find a good Cerakoter. If you go to the Cerakote site, you can search for your area. Use only certified and licensed ffl cerakoters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tinman
#6 ·
As far as I know all guns are more valuable to collectors with the original finish. I am not talking about getting one refinished with the original type of finish. I am talking about the way it left the factory the first time. After that it is up to the buyer as what he might be willing to spend. On your modified or customized gun.

#7 ·
What model we talking here. Because future value may not be a big thing. Give us a heads up and also, introduce yourself to the gang.

#8 ·
Im SSG V. Everyone calls me V, it's pragmatic. I finally got in touch with Kimber. Their line was malfunctioning all day. A local gunsmith offered to put a special coat on it for $150. Kimber said they would do it for $175...maybe less since im active.

It's a 1911, Custom 2.

#18 · (Edited)
Im SSG V. Everyone calls me V, it's pragmatic. I finally got in touch with Kimber. Their line was malfunctioning all day. A local gunsmith offered to put a special coat on it for $150. Kimber said they would do it for $175...maybe less since im active.

It's a 1911, Custom 2.
There you go...you was pissed about Kimber customer service when you should have been pissed at the phone service.

I would just have it Cerakoted locally, a few months ago I had my old Detonics refinished. Wanted it a little darker silver but it's all good.

Attachments

#9 ·
Also the local gunsmith wants to do a Cerakote, he says it will never rust.

Kimber Representative says, if I ever need it worked on they will have to reapply the original coat before working on it. She says she doesn't know if it would affect the value much.

She also stated it basically rusted because I left it in the case while I was in Texas and Afghanistan. That the case it comes with soaks up oil and moisture.

#11 ·
I really believe it is semantics. Cerakote is a fantastic finish. Self lubing, yada yada. Kimber calls theirs Kimbercote. Sounds the same but really not much different.
Cerakote, there are literally hundreds of colors as well as specialty applications. Kimber has their handful of colors which sometimes look different on their guns depending on models and material. ie, aluminum vs steel.
I have cerakoted guns and Kimbers version. To be honest, I don't see any reason to use Kimbers. Value will not change imho.
My cerakoted guns hold out very well.
Big plus, you can have any patterns you want.
Example: Here is my Colt Govt MK IV Series 70, circa 1977. It use to be polished nickel but over the years got scratched up. Here it is with Olive Drab frame, black small parts and what the creator calls a beat down finish on the slide. Its a combo of burnt bronze and black cerakote. Photos do it no justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
One more thing. I had brand new Kimbers that had some of their Kimbercoat come off in less than a week. When I complained, they said there is nothing they can do. No matter what I said, they didn't care. Now I'm not saying Kimber has bad CS. Their functional warranty is great.
None, I repeat, none of my cerakoted weapons have the finish worn off. Hope that helps.
When I get extra bux, I will cerakote them too. Customized weapons will not really lose value unless you really bastardize them. If you plan on keeping it, who cares?

#15 ·
As I mentioned, go to the actual cerakote site. There are all the colors and applications there. You'll be like a kid in a candy store. Don't forget, you can always change colors if you get bored. Basically they have to bead blast the gun anyway to get it down to the original surface. Make sure your guy can do it. There are cerakoters and then there are cerakote artists. They must be certified and hold an FFL to accept complete guns.

#21 ·
Is it cerakoted Markie? Can't tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Just an update. The only weapon I ever spent any time with...which is ALOT is the M4 and M16...Basically the same weapon. I've taken it apart, cleaned it, and spent alot walking around, shooting, showering, and sleeping with it. I could take it apart and put it back together with my eyes closed.

I took this Kimber 1911 apart for the first time and put it back together. I bought it basically 8 years ago before I went to Basic. Incase you haven't read it got rusted and I cleaned it, took the paint off.

Anyways I watched a video, took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together. I wasn't exactly sure on the Slide Stop. I produced the dummy scratch. I think Ill take it apart and put it back together 20 times before I put on the Cerakote...which ever one I decide on.

#25 ·
Just an update. The only weapon I ever spent any time with...which is ALOT is the M4 and M16...Basically the same weapon. I've taken it apart, cleaned it, and spent alot walking around, shooting, showering, and sleeping with it. I could take it apart and put it back together with my eyes closed.

I took this Kimber 1911 apart for the first time and put it back together. I bought it basically 8 years ago before I went to Basic. Incase you haven't read it got rusted and I cleaned it, took the paint off.

Anyways I watched a video, took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together. I wasn't exactly sure on the Slide Stop. I produced the dummy scratch. I think Ill take it apart and put it back together 20 times before I put on the Cerakote...which ever one I decide on.
Egadz... Please stop calling it paint. ;)
If you cannot conquer the slide stop idiot scratch, stick a playing card under it before install. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.