Range Report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Range Report

Went to the range this morning, took my Micro 380 Advocate, Sapphire UC2 9mm, and rented a Sig P938. First up:

The Sig: had to use their ammo on a rental, Atlanta Ammo 115 gr. Shot 50 rounds, no failures, I thought the sights were a touch high, but adjusted and was more on target. It's got a bit more recoil than the Micro 380 and the Sig P238. But overall, it felt good in my hand, had a good weight to it, and was fairly accurate.

Micro 380: Blazer Brass 95 gr. ammo. Used one 7 round mag.
1st mag, failure to fire on #7, bullet was angled up, dropped mag to release bullet.
2nd mag: only loaded with 6 this time, failure to battery on #5
3rd mag: also 6 rounds, failure to fire on last round. At this point, I did not want to shoot the micro any longer, totally disappointed and packed it away. Not happy with the failures, but it's right on target when it's not misbehaving!

UC2: Blazer Brass 124 gr. What can I say....it's awesome. I love this pistol. 50 rounds, great accuracy, no failures. This is a gun that I know I can depend on.

At this point, I feel that I need to give up hoping the micro can be used as an EDC. The UC2 is a little bigger than I would like for EDC but it is dependable. Might consider buying the Sig P938 since it is reliable, but it's not so pretty to look at. Also, probably because of the size difference I feel that I can control the small recoil on the UC2 better than I could with the Sig. Totally not counting the Micro out though, just going to keep cleaning it, taking it to the range, and trying out different ammo. If it continues to perform the way it did today, it will be shame but it will might just end up being a paper weight!

Sorry, no target photos, I never remember to do that!
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #2

Too bad about the Micro. How many rounds through it? My wife has P238 and shoots 100 gr FM ammo. Runs really well. Perhaps that may do the trip for the Micro.
starnovi likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #3

Please listen, I am not an pistol smith but I have three Kimbers and have had trouble with all three AT FIRST. Your options, of course this all depends on what is causing the failure to feed but, You can spend lots of money on ammo and shoot through the problems, you can take it to a qualified pistol smith, or you can send it back to Kimber to be repaired. I have done all three with my Kimbers.
I shot through the failure to return to battery with my Crimson Custom II.
I sent my Super Carry Ultra Plus to a true expert pistol smith not just a local gunsmith. He reamed and polished the throat and barrell along with adjusting the extractor. $40.00 and 5 days and it works perfect.
On my Solo I sent it back to Kimber. They also polished the chamber and ramp along with adjusting the extractor.
MY POINT is you have a fine weapon with a few MINOR bugs. Have them resolved and you will love your Kimber and it will live up to your expectations.
If it were me I would send it back to Kimber. I also have a P238 and P938 as well as many others. Nice pistols, but the looks and feel of the Kimber is worth having the reliability made to what it can be and should have been from the factory.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #4

Sorry the Micro was fussy? Just to confirm, do you have the new flat wire recoil assembly installed? Also, did the problem occur with only one magazine or did it happen with several? I'd agree with Nelly on not giving up on the Micro, if you need to, send her to Yonkers. They can get her running correctly for you. Good luck :-)
starnovi likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

Along with the other good ideas, I suggest at least some of the problem is the Blazer ammo. Also run your Micro wet.
starnovi likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #6

Sorry to hear your Micro is still not right. Hopefully it will get worked out soon. My UC-9 has been great, not one failure of any kind. Sounds like you like yours.
starnovi likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I completely agree with everything Nellybelle said, do not give up on the gun. It's a mechanical tool and can be fixed, send it back to Kimber and continue to do so until it runs 100% to your satisfaction.
Marshall, Pops6116 and starnovi like this.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #8

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I really like this little micro so I won't give up yet. It does have the flat wire spring & notched guide rod. It's already been to Yonkers, they put in new spring, rod, & slide lock, it was reamed, polished, & extractor adjusted. I just cleaned & lubed it yesterday so it was wet. I'm going out tomorrow to buy a few different brands & grains of ammo & give it another go at the range. It did take my UC2 a while to break in and run perfectly, so I do need to give this micro some more time. It's really a pretty pistol & can make a perfect EDC once the kinks are worked out.

Suggestions on ammo are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by starnovi; 09-09-2016 at 07:45 PM.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #9

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I really like this little micro so I won't give up yet. It does have the flat wire spring & notched guide rod. It's already been to Yonkers, they put in new spring, rod, & slide lock, it was reamed, polished, & extractor adjusted. I just cleaned & lubed it yesterday so it was wet. I'm going out tomorrow to buy a few different brands & grains of ammo & give it another go at the range. It did take my UC2 a while to break in and run perfectly, so I do need to give this micro some more time. It's really a pretty pistol & can make a perfect EDC once the kinks are worked out.

Suggestions on ammo are appreciated. Thanks.
With that extra information that screams to me AMMO problem. Buy some BRASS cased ammo with the heaviest grain bullet you can find.

But I have been wrong before.
Nellybelle, swca and starnovi like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 09-09-2016 at 07:52 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Try shooting the heaviest loads you can find, when I broke in my Sig P238 I shot nothing but 100 gr. Freedom Munitions reloads. I believe that the heavier bullets make the gun work harder and help overcome the break in process.
starnovi likes this.