Girls with Guns - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #1

Thumbs up Girls with Guns

Now that I have your attention, I'm going to need to find a gun for my wife soon to get her interested in learning to defend herself.

She has weak hands, arms and is getting over a shoulder problem, so my PC and Royal won't work because she would not be able to rack the slide and the kick of a .45 will be too much for her IMO. I want her to carry a gun eventually in her car or purse for emergency self defense...as in, flat tire + bad part of town = oh crap I'm stupid for not being prepared.

I'm thinking a feather light S&W revolver might do. But I also would prefer her having 16 rounds, so maybe a Glock? Are they easy to cock? Someone suggested a Walther PPK. I don't don't know how stiff the slide is on one of those either.

Small, light, easy, reliable, capable. Suggestions?
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #2

P238. Easiest of all to rack and shoot. Very nice gun. Glocks are harder to rack.
Chuck43 and PorscheVille like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #3

Take her to your local shop and let her have a look. If she has any experience, she'll have an idea of what she wants. If she doesn't, she most likely lean toward appearances. Once she has found some interest in a few different guns, letter handle them. I try to have the dealer put 3 or even 4 on the counter for direct comparison. Have go through the motions of loading, unloading, etc. You'll see it won't take long before she settles on one she likes.
The best thing you can do, while she's looking, is answer questions. If she asks for a suggestion, give her one. Otherwise, let her do the thinking.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
Super Moderator

You haven't mentioned her level of experience or gun knowledge. If she's new to shooting a .22 and a basic beginners class may be the best way to introduce her to the sport.
Chickadee likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #5

I really love my P238 as my EDC. Trouble free, easy to shoot & rack, not much kick, small enough to conceal with just about any clothing type. It's also an attractive gun, for what that's worth.

I do agree with taking her to several gun shops & letting her handle several different pistols to help her get the feel for what's comfortable. I have small hands, so what's comfortable for me is not always the same as what my husband would pick, but he is a GREAT reference for knowing a lot more about what options are out there.

I would also take her to a range that rents guns so she can shoot several different models to get a feel for them on the range.
Chuck43, OscarZ and Islander like this.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #6

Both my wife and I have and carry P938. When my wife decided she wanted to carry on her person we went to the Range/LGS and they put out 8 different pistols for her to compare. The guy who assisted with that said he knew which she would choose when she was all done. He was right she chose the P938.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #7

She has little if any experience. She has never fired a gun in the 35 years we've been married. Her brothers all had guns, so she isn't overly afraid or against them. She's just a girly girl though, and not too interested. I think she needs to be prepared. That is my goal.
Kimsey and Chickadee like this.
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #8

Girly Guns

For conceal and carry... and a girly girl...

The ruger LCP comes in Pink, and Purple... and is a nice small gun.

i am waiting to see the new Walther CCP due this year. It's a compensated 9mm that starts around 500$.

Walther CCP

The people of Dubai don't find the Flinstones funny, but the people of Abu Dhabi do.
Elidar73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy View Post
Take her to your local shop and let her have a look. If she has any experience, she'll have an idea of what she wants. If she doesn't, she most likely lean toward appearances. Once she has found some interest in a few different guns, letter handle them. I try to have the dealer put 3 or even 4 on the counter for direct comparison. Have go through the motions of loading, unloading, etc. You'll see it won't take long before she settles on one she likes.
The best thing you can do, while she's looking, is answer questions. If she asks for a suggestion, give her one. Otherwise, let her do the thinking.
This is the best advice you could get. Never buy one for her, let her buy one for her.
PorscheVille likes this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #10

My advice- stay away from a PPK. sharp recoil, uncomfortable, and the new ones are have less than stellar reliability.
PorscheVille likes this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

bullseye0169

Click on a term to search for related topics.