indoor ranges/air quality??? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

indoor ranges/air quality???

So this morning I went to my range and got there as they were opening. One of the younger guys that works there was still cleaning the lanes and I noticed he was wearing a dust mask. When I asked the manager about it he said, "oh, he's just cleaning". Until last year when I got back into shooting I had always been able to plink at an outdoor range and the potential hazards associated with air quality had never occurred to me. Upon a little Googling today I found that there's really no set standard for ranges and air quality? I also found a basic respirator mask (3M 7500 series) that will actually filter out lead runs around $35.00 with the replaceable filters. The mask the guy at the range was wearing the $5.00 type isn't effective for lead. Kinda makes me wonder about the integrity of the ventilation system as a whole? It always smells like gun smoke in there, any thoughts???
starnovi likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

Not enough ventilation I would guess...

My range was voted Top Ten in the midwest last year and their ventilation is awesome...

Now if only they would learn to use the ac/heater properly...Last week when we went it was 92 outside and hotter than that in the range...We were sweating bullets {pun intended} and when the RO came in I told him about it and he checked the thermostat and it was on heat....DUH
starnovi likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #3

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
Not enough ventilation I would guess...

My range was voted Top Ten in the midwest last year and their ventilation is awesome...

Now if only they would learn to use the ac/heater properly...Last week when we went it was 92 outside and hotter than that in the range...We were sweating bullets {pun intended} and when the RO came in I told him about it and he checked the thermostat and it was on heat....DUH

There all like that when it's hot and sticky. Their moving so much air they draw fresh from the outside. So they pick up all the humidity. Last trip I made it was so humid my glasses wouldn't stay clear it was 93 that day. The little air there was blowing down from the station was just enough to clear my glasses. Then when I stepped forward I couldn't see through the fog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #4

The web site for mine says "state of the art" ventilation system and it's generally comfortable in there? From what I've read there's more to it than just a specific volume of air being moved. Filtration and cleaning of the facilities come into play. I've even read your clothes can be contaminated after shooting and transfer the lead into your home or onto your kids if you don't change after shooting? As far as getting in your system I'm thinking breathing it in is probably the biggest culprit? ...It is a cool looking mask :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

Regardless of ventilation systems, there is going to be a lot of metallic dust and particles downrange, not to mention the dusty powder residue. It's probably not a huge deal for the shooter, but that poor sod was kicking it all up with his broom. He's there every day breathing that dust. That can't be good for him. But apparently range sweepers are a dime a dozen and don't warrant the expenditure of a real respirator.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #6

Hmm...Now this makes me wonder....

A while back I got to the range before it opened and was bsn with the RO out in the range area and this guy was using a floor scrubber that is usually used to clean floors...Thought at the time why they would clean the floors like that since no one walks out there..

Wonder if it's used to suck up the lead dust ??
cousinmark likes this.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #7

Good points to keep in mind about the air in the range. One local range that I have seen but never shot in appeared pretty clean but nobody was shooting at the time I saw it. It is Shooters Depot membership is I think $250 or $20 for one hour.
I just renewed my membership Wednesday at the older range I go to. Sometimes it is smoky and almost always hot, they do have some big floor fans moving air sometimes. I go there because I have unlimited visits, no time limit, can take a guest for $10 bucks and it costs me $75.00 for the year.

I guess we should shoot outside whenever we can.
Hoffbrew and Markie like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:13 AM   #8

I've only worked on one ventilation system at an Army base on Eastern Long Island. They had a very nice system.
On a range and any other places that can't recycle air they have what's called a makeup air system. These system are also used in places like operating rooms, pools, hallways in buildings and other applications.

These systems do not reuse the air in the space, they take in 100% outside air. They also have an exhaust system to suck out air because if you keep pumping outside air into a space it will pressurize the space and the doors would push open. You also want to remove the contaminated air from the space.
When working with 100% outside air it's challenging and expensive to make the space cold or hot. On a conventional A/C system like in your house you recycle the air, it's known as return air. You look for a difference of 18 degrees from the return air to the supply air. So if your house is 70 degrees you want the supply air to be about 52 degrees coming out of your vents. When you don't have return air and you use 100% outside air you have to really oversize the system to cool or heat the space. These systems need to drop the outside air about 30 degrees in cooling. So, if you take in 90 degree air the best you will do is supply 60 degree air. In heat it's usually a 70 degrees rise in temperature. If it's 20 degrees outside you will get about 90 degree supply air. This is why most ranges are warm when it's hot out and cool when cold out.These systems aren't designed for comfort cooling or comfort heat. They are designed to temper the air in heat or cool to provide fresh air in all climates to the space.
Also I'm pretty sure the air that is exhausted from a range would be required to be filtered before its dumped outside, it was at the Army base I work at. They had Hepa filters on the ceiling of the range.
The ventilation system in a range is probably one of the biggest expenses a range has to pay.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:25 AM   #9
Super Moderator

and now you know why I like to hit the range on days like Tuesday mornings when I about have the place to myself. The percentage of lead rounds has gone way down today but the smoke and residue from the burnt powder will make seeing your target and sights clearly difficult. I won't mention all that black crap you see when you blow your nose after a range session.
2sharp2, cousinmark and JC45 like this.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #10

This is the range that I go to...Look at all the ventilation stuff on top of the range section...Never cloudy or smokey in there at all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg homeflash-1.jpg (158.0 KB, 10 views)
Markie, cousinmark and JC45 like this.