Range Day 5/17 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Range Day 5/17

Got to hand it to Kimber, stainless TLE 1000 rounds flawless. Had to check if my Kimber had a "made in Germany" hallmark on it..
Put 300 rounds through it with a new synthetic oil which was posted somewhere on here but forgot the name...it ran great.
Had a chance to school a kid at the range (around 25 years old). He was a good shooter, and when I took a break I had a chance to watch him. Nice aggressive stance, knees bent slightly, weight a bit forward, good posture overall. I noticed he had to reposition his grip after every round, his support hand was flying off his grip. Then I noticed a nice gap between his palms and I decided to let him know he was shooting well, but also my concerns about holding the weapon. He was very receptive. So I asked him to grip the gun for me and I noticed his right thumb was tight on the gun (right handed shooter), so tight, that he couldn't get his support hand palm up against the strong one. I told him to relax the strong thumb and try again...Bingo! I said "now keep both thumbs relaxed before taking aim" and when he fired the support hand stayed on the gun and there was no palm gap. He told me the recoil felt "alot less" and I told him yes, that's the way it works...
Mind you all, after teaching my 4 kids to shoot over the years does not make me an expert, far from it, but it is easy to forget the basic fundamentals even if you shoot every week. He must have thanked me 5 times...
Chuck43, Chuck66 and glokrok like this.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

Originally Posted by Ultraman View Post
Mind you all, after teaching my 4 kids to shoot over the years does not make me an expert, far from it, but it is easy to forget the basic fundamentals even if you shoot every week. He must have thanked me 5 times...
Well done! I always appreciate it when a more experienced shooter gives me useful feedback at the range!

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Well done! I always appreciate it when a more experienced shooter gives me useful feedback at the range!
Thanks, I'm the same way.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

Simple, effective suggestions are great.

What I hate is when someone will see your group is off the the left or low or both and all they have to say is, "it's your trigger finger" then walk away.
PorscheVille likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #5

im a left handed shooter and my right hand comes loose after some shots. when that happens i have a tendency to tighten the grip. if i understand you correctly i need to relax my strong hand thumb to allow my support hand palm to be up against my strong palm or on the grip?
Old 05-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

Originally Posted by glokrok View Post
im a left handed shooter and my right hand comes loose after some shots. when that happens i have a tendency to tighten the grip. if i understand you correctly i need to relax my strong hand thumb to allow my support hand palm to be up against my strong palm or on the grip?
Correct, and keep both thumbs forward and relaxed when pointing/firing. You'll notice less felt recoil as well. Your strong hand really is only a 3 finger grip, with index to fire...the thumb is useless
Old 05-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #7

Originally Posted by glokrok View Post
I have heard that the supporting hand should provide 60% of the grip strength and the trigger finger hand 40%. I have also heard that if you try to tilt your supporting hand 45 downward it keeps the gun more level and allows quicker target acquisition.

I recommend dry firing to practice because you are creating muscle memory that does not include preparing for or expecting the recoil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.3 KB, 38 views)
Insta-Gator, Lineman and glokrok like this.
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

Ps: there are no left handed pics because you are the only person in the world who shoots left-handed. You're an outcast.
Lineman and glokrok like this.
Nigerian Lottery Winner
Old 05-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

Actually, compared to that photo, my strong hand (right) thumb is almost pointing up, away from the safety lever, in a relaxed manner.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Actually, compared to that photo, my strong hand (right) thumb is almost pointing up, away from the safety lever, in a relaxed manner.
Interesting. So your right thumb is actually behind the safety? Mine is under it pointing forward. Not sure what is or isn't better, but occasionally the gun doesn't go BANG! and I realize my thumb has put enough upward pressure on the safety to engage it. It doesn't take much...like the trigger, it is light. Perhaps I'll try the thumb over the safety, pointing up (in a relaxed manner)....a technique henceforth to be called the "Insta-Gator Grip."
Insta-Gator and glokrok like this.
Nigerian Lottery Winner