Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Elidar73
  • 1 Post By Mike240
  • 1 Post By Ultraman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

This is why... MADE IN AMERICA...

Look, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, and all other custom 1911 fanboys...

Your guns are fine! Pretty even and yeah I want one eventually to sit next to the many Kimbers I plan to own...

Now some of you people come along and ask "Why Kimber"...

Here's why...

A. For under 800$ you can have a fantastically accurate and good looking 1911 that leaves the closest priced knock offs in the dust.

B. 'Merica!

Here is a look at some 2011 numbers. # of guns manufactured in the good ole USofA...

Maker - (9mm) / (10mm/40/45)
Kimber 13000 / 90000
Les Baer 175 / 3121
Glock 23000
Nighthawk 160 / 1600
Ed Brown 2196
S&W 128875 / 150000
Springfield 5286 / 27158

Yes, S&W makes a CRAP load of guns, and I respect them... But if you look at the 1911 makers... No one is even CLOSE.
Yes you hear more stories about Kimber problems, because there are nearly 20-40x more of them than the guns people want to compare them too... the guns that also cost 2-3k more than the Kimber...

That's why... Now hop on board, or go away!

The people of Dubai don't find the Flinstones funny, but the people of Abu Dhabi do.
Elidar73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Hell Yeah!!

I am on your band wagon!!!! I try to buy American made products whenever I can. The only non-American thing I own, that I can think of, is my wife's Volvo.
Volvo.jpg
However, when I bought it, Volvo was owned by Ford. Yep, Ole, Lars and Sven made some money in Sweden, but the lion's share came right back to Dearborn, Michigan, USA!!

For handguns, it's Kimber and Smith & Wesson, for rifles it's Ruger, Savage and DPMS and my shotgun is a Winchester!!! ALL AMERICAN IRON!!!

As I have said before: I'm retired so it doesn't matter to me, but the job I save may be YOURS!!!

Thanks for posting this Elidar!! Interesting figures on the number of pistols built by each manufacturer! VERY informative!!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 05-21-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #3

Oh Gee Whiz!!

MIMber should read the stats that Elidar posted here with regard to the number of 1911's manufactured by Kimber versus 1911's manufactured to other makers! What a revelation!!!!

Oh wait, he can't! He's been banned in Boston and everywhere else that this forum exists!!! Guess he'll just have to remain uneducated!!! OOPS!!

Air.Head (1).JPG

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2014, 06:20 AM   #4

Stats

I had found some stats from 2008 and I figured they would be way different. The numbers I posted are from the ATF and are from 2011.

It was eye opening.

What got me was how few of Glocks guns are made here.

The numbers were eye opening for me for sure.

The people of Dubai don't find the Flinstones funny, but the people of Abu Dhabi do.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Elidar73, good luck convincing Kimber lovers to love our Kimbers even more
As to production numbers...
Yes, Kimber is on top and that was their choice. It opens the door to scrutiny for all the reasons you have mentioned. And I do love the product, the availability, and all the choices in the line up.
Here's my point however;
I own a manufacturing company, and have chosen to stay small-ish for many of the reasons you mentioned, and a few more. To the enthusiast, our product is considered "top shelf" and is known for that coast to coast. Our fit, finish, methods of production are hand made and hand fitted. We also offer very high end materials, not all, but we make that available to our customers and we are known for that exclusively as that is 70 percent of what we sell. By industry standards our production numbers are very small by comparison. We are the "Wilsons and Ed Browns" in our industry if I may...and we are the most "collectable" to most for those reasons.
Kimber found a way to mass produce a beautiful product and market themselves as the best. In many ways they are and at their price point as you've mentioned very hard to beat. Are the Wilsons and Browns better than Kimber? It depends on who you are, what you want, and how it makes you feel. Fit and finish: the Browns and Wilsons yes. Reliability: you would think so, however all of them may have issues at one time or another. Resale/value: the perception of Wilson/Brown will keep them at the top.
My company sells a great product, but let's face it, it's all about that and a little word called Ego.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #6

Most will not shoot the gun to failure (parts breakage). Most cannot shoot the accuracy potential of the gun. Those that could shoot enough to break the gun have more than one gun so their ammo gets spread out through more and more guns as their collection grows.

Do low round count guns break? Yes as do new cars. Things happen.
For the most part I think what you spend is relative to what you make. If I buy a vehicle worth a third my yearly income I end up with 30k car. For some their car is a Bentley.

Some just gun snobs and some will anything to get and have only one brand X so they feel part of the club and look down on others.

To stay on the subject, I felt it horrible that so many in American law enforcement were and still are carrying foreign made handguns considering our country's history of weapons.

Much of that was Glocks below market pricing schemes and buy back programs. But also because no one here was making what agencies were asking for that worked well.
Chuck43 likes this.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Elidar73 View Post
Look, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, and all other custom 1911 fanboys...

Your guns are fine! Pretty even and yeah I want one eventually to sit next to the many Kimbers I plan to own...

Now some of you people come along and ask "Why Kimber"...

Here's why...

A. For under 800$ you can have a fantastically accurate and good looking 1911 that leaves the closest priced knock offs in the dust.

B. 'Merica!

Here is a look at some 2011 numbers. # of guns manufactured in the good ole USofA...

Maker - (9mm) / (10mm/40/45)
Kimber 13000 / 90000
Les Baer 175 / 3121
Glock 23000
Nighthawk 160 / 1600
Ed Brown 2196
S&W 128875 / 150000
Springfield 5286 / 27158

Yes, S&W makes a CRAP load of guns, and I respect them... But if you look at the 1911 makers... No one is even CLOSE.
Yes you hear more stories about Kimber problems, because there are nearly 20-40x more of them than the guns people want to compare them too... the guns that also cost 2-3k more than the Kimber...

That's why... Now hop on board, or go away!
There was a long thread on the other forum reference the numbers a year or so back. Yes the kimber bitching which I think exaggerated, is largely proportional to numbers made.

I would like to know the numbers of guns returned for warranty work to figure the percentages. It is likely very comparable.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #8

My .

Maybe I missed the mark with my point, but this was more an answer to the trolls that want to know why we love our Kimbers... why you hear more negatives about FTE/FTF with Kimbers, and why that isn't suprising based on the fact that when you compare 3000 to 80000 you are going to have more little issues based solely on the volume...

Trust me I value the smaller lower volume higher quality produccers in the world... I prever a local hardware store to Wal-mart... I prefer the farmers market to the grocery store...

I just feel like Kimber is also doing it right, and wanted to point that out to the guys that want to trash kimber in the name of their 5000$ 1911's...

Old 05-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
Most will not shoot the gun to failure (parts breakage). Most cannot shoot the accuracy potential of the gun. Those that could shoot enough to break the gun have more than one gun so their ammo gets spread out through more and more guns as their collection grows.

Do low round count guns break? Yes as do new cars. Things happen.
For the most part I think what you spend is relative to what you make. If I buy a vehicle worth a third my yearly income I end up with 30k car. For some their car is a Bentley.

Some just gun snobs and some will anything to get and have only one brand X so they feel part of the club and look down on others.

To stay on the subject, I felt it horrible that so many in American law enforcement were and still are carrying foreign made handguns considering our country's history of weapons.

Much of that was Glocks below market pricing schemes and buy back programs. But also because no one here was making what agencies were asking for that worked well.
Mike you probably know it's not just weapons that fall onto this list of foreign made LEA tools. Lowest bidder wins in many cases. Relationships count, but when you have a Sergeant or Lieutenant trying to make a name for him/herself many times they try to impress with how much money they can save their department. I see it all the time.
I was approached by a Forest Service Officer while hiking and she was telling me it was that agency's policy to purchase only American made products. I noticed she was carrying a Glock, and a badge made in the Philippines. The light bar on her GM truck, made in China.
Chuck43 likes this.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

are kimbers made in china

kimber made in the phillapines

where are kimbers made

Click on a term to search for related topics.