The Four Safety rules - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #1

The Four Safety rules

All have heard what are generally considered the cardinal rules of firearms safety:

1-All guns are always loaded
2-Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy
3-Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have decided to fire
4-Always be sure of your target

Now these are good rules and make sense at a beginners level and on what is now called a square or flat range. But as the goals and purpose of using the firearm changes these rules routinely get violated. For those of you who teach others (even informally) you are bound to get caught not practicing what you teach by a sharp student.

There comes a point when the rules morph when teaching for the purposes of speed/competition or defensive/tactical shooting (I hate the over used word "tactical"). But these methods of shooting should not be taught till basic safe handling and applications of the fundamentals of marksmanship are understood and demonstrated consistently.

So how do the rules morph? And when are they violated? When is it okay to violate them? Or is it never okay to do so?

I think we can all agree the intent of #1. Guns can be dangerous and should always be treated with respect. When handling them you should assume and handle them as if loaded and even after verifying it is unloaded you should not flag others with it etc etc. we have all been around those at public ranges that have no grasp of this rule and firearms etiquette.

I will leave the rest for now for the sake of discussion and what may become lively debate. The remaining three do get changed for the users purposes. And shooters I think should be able to understand the when's, whys and be able to explain it to others.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

I think rule 4 is always be aware of your target and what's behind it.
Dude22 likes this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #3

Personally, I don't think the rules should ever be violated. They should become second nature, but something we always have to be aware of. Sweeping people with the muzzle, fingers on triggers, those things scare me when ever I see it.

You know what really freaks me out, and I've seen it a couple of times, is when a person who is not familiar with guns (I've seen this in gun stores) picks up a gun their significant other or friend is showing them and puts it to their head and pulls the trigger, as a joke.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I think rule 4 is always be aware of your target and what's behind it.
These are the things I wanted to discuss. Gunsite does not include "beyond".
Old 05-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #5

You know what really freaks me out, and I've seen it a couple of times, is when a person who is not familiar with guns (I've seen this in gun stores) picks up a gun their significant other or friend is showing them and puts it to their head and pulls the trigger, as a joke.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap. Really?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
You know what really freaks me out, and I've seen it a couple of times, is when a person who is not familiar with guns (I've seen this in gun stores) picks up a gun their significant other or friend is showing them and puts it to their head and pulls the trigger, as a joke.
I've seen it. Makes me angry.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #7

If they tripped and fell and suffered brain damage from the unloaded gun... the NRA and Gun owners would be blamed...

The people of Dubai don't find the Flinstones funny, but the people of Abu Dhabi do.
Elidar73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #8

I have a question and a scary story about why I'm asking it.

Question: Since I haven't been to CC class yet, is the instructor at the front of the class or behind you?

Story: The reason I ask is that a friend was telling me about what happened when he was instructing a class on safety. He is a Colonel in the military and a marksmen, has lots of guns and is a smart guy. (Usually) Anyway, he was telling the class to always treat a gun as if it is loaded and before doing anything, drop the magazine and rack the slide. One person racked the slide then dropped the magazine. (You know where this is going) Then held the gun, pointed down range and pulled the trigger. Yep. It went bang with my friend the instructor standing in front of this person. He heard the bullet go by his head as his life flashed before him. Luckily nobody was hit.

So, the lesson for me is 1) instruct from behind and 2) the order of checking that a gun is empty is really, really important.

So, if you don't mind....can you answer question 1? And if you are in a class full of people, how does everyone stay out of everyone else's LOF?
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #9

In our class there were NO weapons allowed and even the instructor unloaded his in front of us.
All live shooting was done out on the range with 1 person in each stall.
Our ccw class was limited to 24 people and each had a stall to themselves.
There was one instructor in the classroom and 3 on the range floor.
The instructor point blank told everyone that if he seen a barrel pointed anywhere but towards the target, your day was done and you lose the money for the course..
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Elidar73 View Post
If they tripped and fell and suffered brain damage from the unloaded gun... the NRA and Gun owners would be blamed...
Sounds like they already have brain damage if they're pointing guns at thier head.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote