EDC Questions. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #1

EDC Questions.

This may be premature since I haven't had CC training yet, but what the hell, talk is cheap. For those of you who carry every day, what are some of the things you face? For example, do you find yourself walking into a mall and seeing a NO WEAPONS sign? If you are a big guy (me) with a small car with bucket seats (me) is the fit IWB or OWB ever an issue? As in....whoops, now I don't fit. How often do you have to pull your holster off and leave it in the car? Does that affect your holster choice. Does your jacket or shirt hang up and expose your gun making liberals run screaming for the nearest government official?

Anyway, as you can imagine, EDC is still a bit of a mystery for me. Feel free to share your wisdom, experiences, challenges and horror stories if you have them.
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #2

When carrying concealed I carry IWB "appendix" carry. I can put my iPhone nearby to take care of any "printing" issue just in case. After all everyone these days wears shirts untucked and everyone is used to seeing the cell bulge so I use it to my advantage.

I carry a Super Carry pro and have a 32" waist and have never been "caught" carrying.

I prefer appendix carry as I do not have to make unnatural movements when bending over to avoid printing like those that carry at 4 o clock. When I see people of good health, size etc squating and being careful to not lean to the off gun side or forward I start to suspect they are armed and trying not to project a bulge. Unnatural movements give you up every time. The more you carry the more it becomes more natural but there are giveaways or tells.

I have no issue driving or sitting to eat or at the movies etc with this carry position.

And yes. It is cocked and locked !
PorscheVille and glokrok like this.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #3

I don't know about anyone else but sure its uncomfortable at times. but I would not leave home without it!!! after a while you won't know it's there. I'm in and out of various cars and trucks all day long (repair shop owner) and my waistline is a svelt 42" and sure it can get a little weird squeezing my big butt in a Ford Escape. but you learn to deal with it. I don't do the mall thing so I can't help you there...

Old 05-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

Inside the waist band is the easiest to use/deal with. Get an Alien, Cross Breed, Foxx or other quality hybrid. Adjust it so just enough of the grip is exposed to get a proper, firm grasp of the weapon to draw it. Use the "tuckable" feature. Wear a T-shirt under a light, but loose, sport shirt. "Tuck" the T-shirt over the grip and you are good to go. Bend and twist anyway you wish.
From my Miata, to the F-250, to the Harley, I have no issues with how I sit.
PorscheVille likes this.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PorscheVille View Post
This may be premature since I haven't had CC training yet, but what the hell, talk is cheap. For those of you who carry every day, what are some of the things you face? For example, do you find yourself walking into a mall and seeing a NO WEAPONS sign? If you are a big guy (me) with a small car with bucket seats (me) is the fit IWB or OWB ever an issue? As in....whoops, now I don't fit. How often do you have to pull your holster off and leave it in the car? Does that affect your holster choice. Does your jacket or shirt hang up and expose your gun making liberals run screaming for the nearest government official?

Anyway, as you can imagine, EDC is still a bit of a mystery for me. Feel free to share your wisdom, experiences, challenges and horror stories if you have them.
Since you are entering new territory you like most are unsure of what to expect. Don't over think it and you'll be fine. Holster selection is like buying a pair of shoes. You'll have to try a few until you find what's comfortable for you. Most of have a box full of "perfect" holsters. as far as printing goes, learn your states laws, here in Ohio, open carry is legal so I don't worry about it or accidental exposer. In time you'll find that most people are so caught up in their own world that you could carry a bazooka and no one will notice.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

Originally Posted by PorscheVille View Post

First I am what most consider big. About 5'11" and 250lb. Most of the time I am carrying OWB. If I have to disarm to enter a business I only remove my pistol from the holster never do I remove holster and pistol. Sometimes in my wife's Altima I get a pinch here and there but in my big SUV no problems. Mostly I wear jeans and T-shirt and now that it is hot here wearing cargo shorts and T-shirt. Biggest percentage of the places I go are not posted or at least do not have a legal sign. I was surprised to find the no firearm sign in my local post office buried on a cluttered billboard inside by the P.O. boxes. I try to keep it covered but if someone sees a barrel I don't sweat it.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Since you are entering new territory you like most are unsure of what to expect. Don't over think it and you'll be fine. Holster selection is like buying a pair of shoes. You'll have to try a few until you find what's comfortable for you. Most of have a box full of "perfect" holsters. as far as printing goes, learn your states laws, here in Ohio, open carry is legal so I don't worry about it or accidental exposer. In time you'll find that most people are so caught up in their own world that you could carry a bazooka and no one will notice.
I agree with Steve's comments. There will be a few weeks of adjustment for you. I suggest wearing it all the time (except bed), even at home. It will hasten your comfort and you will stop thinking about it. I've gotten to the point where I don't care if it shows or prints. It's just there, under my shirt, but I don't go to extremes to hide it.
PorscheVille likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #8

Mike, what holster do you use for appendix carry? I carry at the 4 o'clock both IWB and OWB, but sometimes it feels like an awkward location to gain a good grip.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #9

You will get a ton of advise on the ways to carry, what type of holster, what position to carry...etc

All I have to give you is my 2 cents about EDC and it is this....

NEVER EVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT AMMO IN YOUR GUN...
It will do you no good and I really know what I'm talking about unfortunately..
2sharp2, Chuck66, Lineman and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Marshall; 05-28-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=2sharp2;21230] I was surprised to find the no firearm sign in my local post office buried on a cluttered billboard inside by the P.O. boxes.
/QUOTE]

This subject was brought up on another forum and a couple of guys from various states that teach concealed carry in their states all said the Post Office is government property and is not required to post a sign on the door. They may or may not put one inside on the bulletin board or something but it should be understood it's a government building and therefore posted.
Insta-Gator and 2sharp2 like this.