Which one to choose - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2016, 11:37 PM   #1

Which one to choose

Well a little while back I posted about my questions on the aluminum frames. Well after the answers on here and further reading, I'm no longer concerned with them.

But, the pistol I was wondering about wad the super carry ultra+. It seems the going price of this one is around $1500 or so.

But to the point, if money was no option, which model of the kimber lineup would you choose to carry? I'd prefer if the options were only a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Also a brief overview of why you'd pick that particular model would be good. The reason I am liking the ultra+ is the weight and the bobbed frame. Thanks for any input.
19trax95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #2

Well I own an Ultra CDP Pro (4" barrel) Aluminum frame, it has what they call the carry meld done to it basically dehorned rounded every where. I really love it. The accuracy is outstanding! I think the pro model is my favorite. It really fits my hand just point and shoot. I just posted a picture of my latest Kimber it is an Ultra 3" aluminum frame. Everybody gives the Ultra good marks also. I have not shot my Ultra yet it is being sentenced on Staurday to ten days in solitary. Personally just buy one of each! You will love them both. I would buy a Master carry pro if I could ever find one in So.Cal. They unfortunately are not on the Doj approved list here. I love that perfectly rounded butt reminds me of Jennifer Lopez.
cousinmark and starnovi like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:55 AM   #3

Classic Carry Pro

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2016, 03:58 AM   #4

I think I would choose Tactical Pro. It's priced middle of the road in the Kimber lineup and as Chuck has stated many times, it has everything you could want in a carry gun. It has ambi-safety,night sights,light weight aluminum frame and a mag well. It's a good looking gun but not so good looking that your going to worry about wear marks you get on an EDC.
I don't think I would go with an Ultra+ because it has a full size grip and a 3" barrel. If I'm going with a full size grip I'm getting a Pro, I don't feel that extra inch on the barrel is going to make a big difference when I carrying. I know I personally shoot a Pro better than an Ultra.
I also think the CDP Pro is an excellent carry gun too.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #5
Super Moderator

IMHO the best 3" carry gun Kimber makes is the Ultra Tactical, (I carry one) as JC45 already stated it has everything you could want on a carry gun.

In a 4" gun I like my Super Carry or Classic Carry Pro.
Jflytle and JC45 like this.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:50 AM   #6

LOVE my Super Carry Ultra HD. It has the rounded butt, night sights, ambi safety, carry melt, & is all stainless under the KimPro finish- so when I need to refinish it I have LOTS of options.

Yes, it's a bit heavy. With a good belt & holster I really don't mind it at all. The upside of the weight is less felt recoil which for me translates to better accuracy.
Chuck43 likes this.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #7

Until I can try them all out I can not decide... I do enjoy my Pro Carry II
Itsmescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #8

I was unaware of the Super Carry Ultra+ model when I bought my first Kimber, if I had it to do over and money was no object I would buy a SCU+ and just like a lot of the other Ultra models it has a lot going for it that you would want in a CC pistol. Probably get a lot of different "X Ultra" is the best, you have to decide what features you like and desire. I like that it has a short barrel, full size and rounded grip, plus it holds 8 rounds in the magazine, so 8+1 in chamber.
SCU+ MSRP is $1,569, I saw a few on Gunbroker in the 1300 dollar range and some with active auctions with bids of $900, so good shopping could get you a fair price.

My EDC rotates between CDP Ultra or RCP Ultra.

I have not found my Pro 4" barrel models to have that much of an accuracy advantage over my Ultra's, in fact a couple of my Ultras seem to be a tad more accurate. Slow, determined, fired from a rest the Pro has somewhat tighter groups. But when I do my part the Ultras are just real close to being just as accurate.
In a self defense situation you won't have time or perfect conditions.

I have a full size 5" Gold Combat Limited Edition that as expected is more accurate than all my other pistols, Kimber's included.

There is no wrong Ultra choice IMO.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #9

Ultra, or Pro is a personal preference. I would look HARD at the Tactical and Super Carry models. I've got a Tactical Pro, and love it. My wife has the Super Carry HD Ultra, which I've shot, and would pinch it in a heartbeat from her (if I didn't have to give one of mine).
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #10

I'm partial to the fullsize frame since my hands are big and I don't find the smaller frame all that comfortable. I'm also not really lacking body size to conceal it either haha.

I will definitely take a look at the models mentioned. My father had a stainless ultra carry 2. That has the smaller frame if I recall correctly.

I most definitely like the feel of the rounded butt frame as it feels more natural in my hand. And it's likely just my imagination, but a 5" gun with the regular butt frame feels great, but with a 3" barrel, the round butt feels better. No clue why, it just does haha.
19trax95 is offline   Reply With Quote