Kimber Talk Forums banner

Question for Chuck & other Illinois members

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  montanaResident 
#1 ·
I have a long time friend (since kindergarten) who lives in Mundelein. He's traveling to my place in Michigan tomorrow for a long overdue visit and we plan to go to the range.

Problem....he cannot find his FOID card and he claims he's looked everywhere for it. I'm pretty sure I already know the answers to these questions, but here goes:

1.) Is he required to have the card with him when he's transporting firearms in Illinois? (yes, according to a lady I spoke with on the phone last night at Mundelein PD).

2.) Is it too risky to try to make the trip without it in your opinion(s)?

He had planned on bringing the M1 Carbine his dad left him. :mad:

Terry

#2 ·
1. Yes, he is required to have his FOID card with him when he is transporting a firearm in Illinois. Technically he can't even have a firearm in his home without the card.

2. I doubt he would have a problem BUT if something happens and he's found with the gun he could lose it. Even after finding or getting a replacement for his FOID card he could have a hard time getting his firearm back. If it was me and it was a keepsake from my father I wouldn't take the chance.

3. Tell him to apply for a replacement card right away, This is Illinois and nothing involving the Illinois State Police or government moves fast.

#4 ·
Can't he get a temporary card issued to him from where he originally applied? And....if he carries, shouldn't he be keeping his card on himself?

Reactions: Chuck43
#5 ·
To legally possess or purchase firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the Illinois State Police, they don't issue temporary cards.

The FOID card does not allow you to carry a firearm only to posses them. If you want to carry a firearm in Illinois you must first have a FOID card then take a class and pass a test for a CCL (concealed carry license).

The CCL can take the place of a FOID card but a FOID card can't take the place of a CCL.

#7 ·
There are no silly questions, just questions that need answers. If your friend is concerned and he has a close friend or family member with a FOID card he can ask them to hold his firearms until his replacement card arrives.

#8 ·
Not being from Illinois all this is foreign to me but, if a man and wife own a gun and the husband has the FOID is the wife then in violation if she is home and in possession of the firearm? Aren't the FOID cards in a data base? I would think unless the law specifically says "in Possession", he can travel )not concealed, unloaded cased in the trunk or rear of the vehicle) and say the card is at home. The inquiring authority could query the data base and verify the existence of the FOID. Trying to use common sense, not sure if it applies.

#9 ·
Common sense and Illinois is an oxymoron.
In your example a man and wife can't own a gun if the wife doesn't have a FOID card, only the man can own the gun. The man would have to have the gun secured in a locked box/safe that the wife couldn't access. The FOID card says that the person the card is issued too has been cleared to legally own a gun and ammo. If the man and woman went shooting together she could shoot the gun under his supervision.

Yes the Illinois State Police has a department and database that handles the FOID and CCL cards but getting someone to access it could be another problem. The department is overloaded, understaffed and under financed. It takes approximately 120 days to process the paperwork for a FOID/CCL card after it's submitted. Appeals to a rejection take about 1 year to be scheduled for a review. Just getting anyone in that department to answer the telephone almost takes an act of God. The fastest way to get a response from them is to get someone in your state senators or representatives office to call on your behalf.

Reactions: Jflytle
#10 ·
Chuck, he has no relatives in the state. He has ordered a replacement card ($11).

I guess we'll just have to play with my toys at the range if he wants to go. I will be taking the Custom II along whatever else of mine he wants to try.

Thanks again!

Terry

#20 ·
The FOID card was started before NICS was created, it doesn't mean you have a gun or ammo it only means the Illinois State Police say you are not a felon or a nut job and can own one. If you walk into any gun shop they will not let you handle a gun until you show them your card. In some cases I've heard of gun shops not allowing anyone without a card to even enter their shop. The card cost $10.00 and is good for 10 years, I've had one since the state started issuing them in 1968.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.