Super Carry Pro Safety Issue - Status - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

Super Carry Pro Safety Issue - Status

Finally got my Super Carry Pro back from its second trip to Kimber several weeks ago and then had to wait for floodwater to recede to get to the range. (No, we were not flooded but I live in Eastern NC and in some areas things are still floating here)

Initially it went back for issues with the safety. Kimber replaced the body of the weapon and addressed some other issues having to do with ejection of casings. I got the weapon back only to discover that it was occasionally 'double firing'. That is, one pull of the trigger resulted in two rounds being fired. Obviously this shook me up so back it went.

This time I started smiling through the first seven magazines! The weapon was flawless in feeding and ejecting brass. It was just like I finally had my old gun back! There always has to be a 'But'?

But, on the eighth magazine I got a double fire. I reloaded all eight mags and got two more double fires so that trip ended.

I called Kimber and spoke to the rep who has helped me throughout and my gun was delivered to Kimber yesterday for the third trip this year.

Time will tell on this issue and Alan, my service rep, advised they will look at the gun and either try again to fix it or simply replace it. Now I do not know how the replacement would work but I have to compliment Kimber on the customer support they have provided as I purchased this weapon new in 2013 and had no problems till early this year. During that time I kept poor count of the rounds through but I can account for at least eight orders of a thousand rounds and they are gone so at a minimum I have 8K rounds through it.

All that with a one year warranty and they are talking about possibly exchanging the gun?

I wish I were not writing about this but instead spending time at the range but, I am impressed with the manner in which this whole thing is being handled.

Russ
Old 11-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #2

I've spoken with Alan and he "owns it". On the double fires? Have you done anything to the trigger? That's an odd thing to have happen out of the blue.
Chuck43 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

Only thing I've done with the trigger is pull it! This only started happening after the first trip where the body was replaced to address the issue of the safety separating.

I will not be attempting any repairs as long as I am getting the support I mentioned from Kimber.

Russ

Old 11-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #4

I understand this concern, but I would enjoy owning a SCP HD with automatic 'double tap'.
Nellybelle, Marshall and DaVinci like this.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #5

Wow, sorry to hear about your pistol problem. That's great though that Kimber is stepping up big time to correct it. I know it's a pain to have to be without a beloved pistol for a couple of weeks, but hopefully it will either be as good as new, or will be brand new. Good luck.
Nellybelle and Chuck43 like this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

Originally Posted by BugSlayer View Post
Only thing I've done with the trigger is pull it! This only started happening after the first trip where the body was replaced to address the issue of the safety separating.

I will not be attempting any repairs as long as I am getting the support I mentioned from Kimber.

Russ
I would only load two rounds at a time the first few times you try her when you get her back to be safe :-)
...and ya, messing with things trigger related could void the warranty so I'd leave it up to the good folks in Yonkers.
Thankfully no one was hurt!!!
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #7

Finally had an opportunity to speak with Allan Stipe Friday afternoon. Unfortunately Kimber was not able to recreate the double fire condition I described. Since you can't fix what you cannot see, the weapon is coming back to me.

We spoke about the possibility of a number of causes including 'operator error', that is, something I was doing or the possibility of the double fire being ammo related. Neither one of them are likely as I have been using .45 ACP SELLIER & BELLOT 230 GRAIN for some time now which predates the double fire condition. Also I have in excess of 8K rounds through this gun so if the problem was 'operator error', it must be something I recently started doing?

I should know more as the weapon will likely arrive in the coming week and I will get an opportunity to go over the tests and rounds fired. Obviously I need to get back to the range and try again.

Allan said not to be afraid to contact him if the problem continues or if others occur so obviously Kimber has not dropped support on me.

Time will tell,

Russ
Old 11-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #8

Wow Russ! That is a bummer. I too own a CCP and had to send it back for the safety issue but this is the first l have heard of a double fire. I highly doubt it is operator error and don't even buy it. 8000 rounds and you are now subconsciously making a mistake now. I don't think so. Be careful with it.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

I would have video your range sessions in order to capture the issue for Kimber to see. I know that sounds a bit extreme but just a suggestion.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

Thanks Glock & Nelly,

I agree that it seems somewhat unlikely that I have significantly changed my firing habits to the extent that I am causing the Double Fire. And Kimber did not say they didn't believe it happened, only that they could not duplicate it? I suppose I could video it but that would not get me closer to solving the cause. I'll see the report when the weapon arrives but Allan told me that they disassembled and checked the weapon and found nothing wrong so I am standing by and not writing anything off!

No doubt I'll try some different ammunition, I have been looking for a reason to try something else. I currently have almost 4K rounds of the Sellier & Bellot but I do have an HK that has been neglected so that could be an answer to the problem of what to do with .45 ammo?