Another Solo issue - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #1

Another Solo issue

I have had a Solo for about 18 months. It worked fine with the correct ammo and the standard magazine. I bought two Kimber extended mgs and still have one in the package.
A friend of mine is considering a Solo and has heard they weren't reliable. I loaned him my Solo with the new extended mag and he had the following problems.

Out of eight rounds the mag dropped out of the pistol twice. The bullets nosed dived and did not want to load. I guess I will call Kimber and see what they say. I had dumping the Solo and buying a Sig 938. However with the extended mag the Solo felt better in my hand. I also ordered a new Solo holster from Kimber last week and have not even had time to try it on the Solo.
Thank god I have several other pistols to carry until I get this problem worked out. May go back to my ole reliable S&W model 38 bodyguard I carried years ago as a detective.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #2

I think the extended mag has had issues before.
I read about somewhere and just did a Google search and you're not the only one with the 8 round mag problem...
If it works with the factory 6 rd mag, that may just be what needs to be done if it runs perfect with them..
LINK
Problem with Solo Extended Magazines
Nellybelle likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #3

Yes I think you are right. I will see what Kimber says. A little disappointed though just when I thought I had everything working my way.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
Yes I think you are right. I will see what Kimber says. A little disappointed though just when I thought I had everything working my way.
All will be good...
Kimber CS is awesome and look at the bright side...
Your Solo has been great from day one and everyone can't say that{including myself}...
Good luck and keep us posted..
Old 08-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
I have had a Solo for about 18 months. It worked fine with the correct ammo and the standard magazine. I bought two Kimber extended mgs and still have one in the package.
A friend of mine is considering a Solo and has heard they weren't reliable. I loaned him my Solo with the new extended mag and he had the following problems.

Out of eight rounds the mag dropped out of the pistol twice. The bullets nosed dived and did not want to load. I guess I will call Kimber and see what they say. I had dumping the Solo and buying a Sig 938. However with the extended mag the Solo felt better in my hand. I also ordered a new Solo holster from Kimber last week and have not even had time to try it on the Solo.
Thank god I have several other pistols to carry until I get this problem worked out. May go back to my ole reliable S&W model 38 bodyguard I carried years ago as a detective.
My wife's Sig P238 has the same issues with an extended mag we purchased for it. With the standard mag it shoots flawlessly. I blame the mag, not the gun.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Just an idea here: I've got the P238 with 4 extended mags and when everything was new I had to give the mags a good smack to fully seat them. I popped the mag release out, broke it down and cleaned and oiled it, never had that problem again. It's something that only takes a minute to do, you might want to give it a try.
Insta-Gator likes this.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #7

Now that I've seen a mag release removed and disassembled, I'll probably try that.

It's been a while since she's shot the P238. She prefers the .45.
Marshall likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Now that I've seen a mag release removed and disassembled, I'll probably try that.

It's been a while since she's shot the P238. She prefers the .45.
What's up with buying our ladies a 9mm and they end up wanting the big 45's???
That's the only reason we sold the Solo because when it was back at the mother ship a couple of times getting fixed, she shot my PC2 45 and that's all it took for her to buy her Ultra TLE..
Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Just an idea here: I've got the P238 with 4 extended mags and when everything was new I had to give the mags a good smack to fully seat them. I popped the mag release out, broke it down and cleaned and oiled it, never had that problem again. It's something that only takes a minute to do, you might want to give it a try.
I might have to try that with mine - I've had that problem too. Thought it was my grip since new mags didn't fix the problem. It does seem to help if I focus on really pushing my support thumb forward (i.e. rotating my grip slightly).

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #10

Well I called Kimber. RMA issued and a prepaid return sticker.
Now the wait. I am sending all mags (2 extended & 2 standard) back at the same time I want the problem resolved where ever it is.
I will keep everyone informed.

Search tags for this page
issues with magazine removal, kimber solo
kimber solo extended mag

kimber solo extended magazine problems

kimber solo magazine issues
magazine issues with kimber solo carry
new kimber solo issues resolved
Click on a term to search for related topics.