Crimson Laser on my Ultra Covert II - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #1

Crimson Laser on my Ultra Covert II

Hi Gang...

I just want to get some feedback. I have the handgrip Crimson on my Ultra Covert II and the rail mounted on my SOC... The laser on my SOC is crisp and clean. Perfect dot. The one on my Covert has laser spatter... In other words, it looks line a dot with stars around in like a comet exploded in the galaxy... Many many little laser dots like pin heads or smaller.

Called Kimber customer service. They said call Crimson because they are more qualified to help. I did and they said the lens is dirty and to clean it with the included swabs. I have done so but it still has spatter, just not as bad. But still, quite a bit and not like the SOC laser.

I'm very careful never to get any oils or cleaning fluids in there or anything else. I don't recall if it was like that when I got it.

She said once they get it back for repair, they'd have it a week or so and send it back. I'd hate like hell to loose the grips for possibly 2 weeks if there is something else I can do. While lasers are not any deal breaker, for the price, I'd still like them to function correctly..

Any similar experience, thoughts or feedback is appreciated. Thanks...

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I'd say send the grips back to CT, other then cleaning the lens there's not much else you can do. I had a Sig 1911 C3 with the CT grips and gave it to my son, I couldn't hit spit using the laser. Turned out he couldn't either and took the grips off the gun, LOL.
bhunted likes this.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

Yea, I was doing further reseach and a lot of people say it won't go away including the ones that got replacements. They were no better. Just seems weird that the rail mounted ont he soc is perfect.
I'm not into lasers on guns without reason. But I love the digital grips on the covert which is 1/3rd the reason the gun caught my interest. Otherwsie I would have just got a Raptor... But as expensive as these lasers are, they should be perfect. Not crappy.
Guess I'll have to send it in which means no use me fav compact 45... Ugh.
BTW, I tried the lasers and they get you on target but annoy me. Too much movement. Especially at distance.

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Last edited by bhunted; 08-13-2014 at 07:16 AM. Reason: add on comment

Old 08-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Yea, I was doing further reseach and a lot of people say it won't go away including the ones that got replacements. They were no better. Just seems weird that the rail mounted ont he soc is perfect.
I'm not into lasers on guns without reason. But I love the digital grips on the covert which is 1/3rd the reason the gun caught my interest. Otherwsie I would have just got a Raptor... But as expensive as these lasers are, they should be perfect. Not crappy.
Guess I'll have to send it in which means no use me fav compact 45... Ugh.
BTW, I tried the lasers and they get you on target but annoy me. Too much movement. Especially at distance.
My son said he spent too much time chasing the laser, why not just take them off and put another set of grips on it? You're sending the gun back to the factory to have night sights installed have them slap on a set of grips at the same time, they have a nice selection in their shop.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #5

Yeah, I thought my grip/aim was steady as a rock until I got the CDPII with the laser. Now not so much.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
My son said he spent too much time chasing the laser, why not just take them off and put another set of grips on it? You're sending the gun back to the factory to have night sights installed have them slap on a set of grips at the same time, they have a nice selection in their shop.
Already has night sights. I would change the grips if I could find them in digital desert camo like on there. But I paid alot more than I would for the Raptor because of them. Otherwise, ditch them. If they can fix em, fine. If not, have to see if VZ has something similar.... (just realized what I said... Yikes! Going to look at their site now.. lol)...

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #7

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Yeah, I thought my grip/aim was steady as a rock until I got the CDPII with the laser. Now not so much.
After experimenting with lasers for years and trying to get people to realize that they are not what they seem, it's a fruitless adventure. Everyone goes by what they see in movies where the dot never or hardly moves. Not so...
At distance, the dot will grow as well as the further away from the focal point, moving a measly 1/64th of an inch seems like the laser dot is epileptic...
For short range, (unless on rifles), they are fine. Just don't expect your hand to not be shaking. Even more so in a defense situation where adrenaline runs wild.

I just want the extra $300~ to be worth the weight they put into it.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Last edited by bhunted; 08-13-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #8

Wink Who Knows.......?

There is no middle of the road with lasers. You either love them or hate them!! I had one installed on my Custom Stainless II.
Kimber .45 & Bianchi M57 Holster.JPG
The owner of the LGS installed it and set the dot for me. Out to 25 yards, it was a guaranteed fact that the bullet was going to strike exactly where that dot was!!! I did have some issues with "splatter" of the dot. I used the provided swabs and alcohol to clean the lens. It took a number of times to finally get it clear, improving with each repetition (which gave me the incentive to continue).

While I found the laser to be a novel "toy" and fun to play with at the range, I never felt that it was a realistic sighting system for self defense. When I traded off the Stainless for a Pro Carry II, I opted for Trijicon night sights in lieu of the laser. I like them better and feel they are a more useful aiming device!!
PC II 125 Rnds-3.JPG

Just my 2 cents worth........YMMV!!!!!
Chuck43 and bhunted like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #9

Like when we trained navagation on the water, we always emphasized not just learning electronics, because if they fail and you can't navagate by the stars, dead reckoning or old fashion compass, you are screwed. I'm a big fan of Trijicon HDs.... My old eyes like them better. Even if they die, (They'll last longer than me), I still have iron sights left over.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

Cool Me Too!!

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Like when we trained navagation on the water, we always emphasized not just learning electronics, because if they fail and you can't navagate by the stars, dead reckoning or old fashion compass, you are screwed. I'm a big fan of Trijicon HDs.... My old eyes like them better. Even if they die, (They'll last longer than me), I still have iron sights left over.
What Bhunted said about eyes...........X2!!!!
bhunted likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber laser grips camo on off

kimber ultra covert ii forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.