My First 2017 Gun Purchase - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

My First 2017 Gun Purchase

Managed to survive the over hyped cold weather event from yesterday/last night, even without getting Milk & Bread

Got up this morning and headed North of Houston with a full coffee mug to check out a Gun Show in The Woodlands. I had never been to that one. I've been looking for a reasonably priced pistol that I can carry around our lake property and not have to worry about tossing in my UTV console or boat. Looked at the M&P Shield 45 but I found the grips to feel like sand paper and figured an outing at the range would end up with some tender palms. Came across a Springfield XDS 45 at a good price and started the paperwork process. At the conclusion, the guy rang it up and the price was not what the guy had quoted me. He actually gave me the price for the 9mm. I gave them some grief about using car sales "bait & switch" tactics so they finally called their owner and he told them to sell it to me for the quoted price. Sweeeet !!

Picked up some Pierce Grip Extensions (wish Kimber could do something like that for their flush Micro mags) for the flush 5 round mags, bought another 5 round used mag. The gun comes with one 5 round and two 6 round and...... I already had a 7 round mag from way back when I had an XDS 9mm that was recalled. They were sending extended mags back with the repaired pistols and inadvertently sent me the 45 mag. I figured that was a good reason to buy the XDS 45 some time later so I hung on to it.

Got the mags all loaded and ready for a range trip when I take my Micro 380 out next week.

I've had an XD Sub Compact 9mm with double stack mags that has been a great gun, not one issue out of the box. Don't carry it, but keep in bedroom. The extended mags hold like a gazillion rounds so its a good home defense gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ext in gun.jpg (162.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg extensions.jpg (159.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg XDS Pkg.jpg (139.9 KB, 15 views)
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #2

Nice little piece ya got there! I always been a SA fan.
Fredneck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #3

Nice way to ring in the new year!
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #4

...seems like rational thinking to me? Congratulations and remember the pics with the range report :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:06 AM   #5

Congratulations, I had an XDS 45, I sold it last year. The gun was 100% reliable and it shot well. The day after I bought it Springfield had announced a recall on this gun and I had to send it in before I had a chance to shoot it. If it's used you may want to check the Serial# to see if yours was recalled and if the work was done. I sold it to help pay for my Raptor 45 SS and I really didn't shoot the XDS too much.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:39 AM   #6

Good thinking, nice gun.

Mike
NRA
Amvets Life Member
Navy Vet
RugerLuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:09 AM   #7

I have both guns but carry the XD9 subcompact almost year round! I just love the way it shoots and being able to have 29 rounds with two mags is a plus to me! I have the XDs 45 ACP and carry it sometimes in the summer or when bike riding with 3 mags. Both are great shooters but the XD9 SC is the one!
OLE442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #8

Nice score. Enjoy and be safe

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Congratulations, I had an XDS 45, I sold it last year. The gun was 100% reliable and it shot well. The day after I bought it Springfield had announced a recall on this gun and I had to send it in before I had a chance to shoot it. If it's used you may want to check the Serial# to see if yours was recalled and if the work was done. I sold it to help pay for my Raptor 45 SS and I really didn't shoot the XDS too much.
Howdy JC45 !
This one was a new XDS. I had all the info on the recall in case I came across a used one at the gun show. Like you, my XDS 9mm was just prior to the recall and I had to send it in. When it returned, I traded it for the Colt Pocketlite I have now.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 AM   #10

Originally Posted by TGLeBlanc View Post
Howdy JC45 !
This one was a new XDS. I had all the info on the recall in case I came across a used one at the gun show. Like you, my XDS 9mm was just prior to the recall and I had to send it in. When it returned, I traded it for the Colt Pocketlite I have now.
Just wanted to give you a heads up, after the recall the gun was just fine. I had no malfunctions. It's a nice carry piece but I just wasn't shooting it as much as I should.
Tejun likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote