Range report - some concerns - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Range report - some concerns

Went to the range today. Only fired 50 rounds. Had three failures to feed (see attached photos) Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II, now has 1,550 rounds down range. Occured using a Wilson Combat mag, a Kim-Pro Tac mag, and the original mag. Pretty sure I don't limp wrist while shooting, but with the last two or three mags I squeezed extra firm and the problem did not occur again. Using Freedom Munitions 230 gr round nose reman ammo.

Maybe the ammo, but I doubt it. Might be my grip, but I doubt it. Might be the mag, but since I used three different ones, I doubt it. Might be the recoil spring is getting weak, but I don't know what the symptoms of a weak spring are, so this is just a guess. Kimber recommends replacing the spring at 1,800.

All three were live rounds, not empty casings.

ftf1.jpg

ftf2.jpg

ftf3.jpg

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #2

hmmmm... Based on your complete description and the 1500+ rounds along with 1800 round replacement recommendation, probably replacing the spring would be a logical and good place to start. P.S. I also am not quite sure how rounds respond with a weakening spring.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Gary, let me get this straight, it happened 3 times and each time it was with a different magazine?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Gary, let me get this straight, it happened 3 times and each time it was with a different magazine?
Correct.

The firmness of the springs in each magazine was noticeable while loading, but other than perception, I could not begin to quantify the difference.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
Super Moderator

That eliminates the magazines, the next logical thing to do at this point would be to change the recoil spring. Kimber recommends doing it at 1500-1800 rounds so it's ready for replacement anyway.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

Sure it could be the spring. If not, have you put this ammo through this gun before without issues? I know you've been shooting your Ultra a lot lately; quite possibly it wasn't lubed enough when you put it away and dried up a bit? If I go more than a few months without firing a gun I re-lube it, and if I know I'm not going to shoot one for awhile I go heavy on the oil.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

I have to agree with Chick that it is the recoil spring it looks like the slide is moving to slow. Kimber springs are cheap so I would change it before I did anything ease.
“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

NRA certified pistol Instructor.
v35b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Ultraman View Post
Sure it could be the spring. If not, have you put this ammo through this gun before without issues? I know you've been shooting your Ultra a lot lately; quite possibly it wasn't lubed enough when you put it away and dried up a bit? If I go more than a few months without firing a gun I re-lube it, and if I know I'm not going to shoot one for awhile I go heavy on the oil.
Astute observation. It's been a while since Kim has been to the range. It's possible a few drops of lube prior to departure could have avoided this. This seems to be the simplest and easiest first try at a remedy. Think I'll try some lube before replacing springs, just to see if that's it. I'd hope that after 1,500 rounds the parts be well worn and mated, but I could be wrong. If some lube doesn't fix it, I'll order some springs.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

I was just checking out your photos and I have had the same issue a couple of times with my PC2 45..
It started on the last batch of FM that arrived a few weeks ago.
I bought 2 boxes {American Eagle & Sellier& Bellot} at the range and had zero problems..
I only have around 900 on the recoil spring but my last one wasn't changed until I have well over 2K rounds on it and it shot and ejected just fine..
Maybe a bad batch from FM??
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #10

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
I was just checking out your photos and I have had the same issue a couple of times with my PC2 45..

It started on the last batch of FM that arrived a few weeks ago.

I bought 2 boxes {American Eagle & Sellier& Bellot} at the range and had zero problems..

I only have around 900 on the recoil spring but my last one wasn't changed until I have well over 2K rounds on it and it shot and ejected just fine..

Maybe a bad batch from FM??

I hope it isn't a bad batch because I just bought some and haven't shot any of it yet.
maansmit is offline   Reply With Quote