Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Marshall
  • 2 Post By Marshall
  • 4 Post By 2sharp2
  • 1 Post By Tinman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

My recent experience with Kimber Manufacturing

On the 27th of November 2016 I sent my Kimber Super Carry Custom back to Kimber to have some cosmetic work done. The super carry custom is a two tone pistol(black slide, kimber finished lower). When I bought the pistol it had some blemishes on the slide so I wanted it stripped and finished in all silver. On top of that, I wanted Kimber brand genuine giraffe bone grips(sold by Kimber) put on the pistol as well. The work being done was a christmas gift from my wife and mother so they called and gave their payment information. She also asked that she please be notified before charging the account as to move the funds around to avoid any overdraft charges. Kimber told her that nothing would be charged until the work was being performed. From what I read online, it stated 2-4 weeks or 4-6 for special cases on returning a firearm. Well a few weeks passed and I hadn't heard anything from Kimber or received any emails concerning the work being performed on my pistol. Being only a few weeks I didn't think much of it. Well as we approached 4 weeks, I decided to call myself and get an update. For, at this time, I still hadn't received a phone call or email. The lady who answered took my RMA number and proceeded to look up my order. She gets back on the phone after finding my RMA only to tell me that it hadnít been started yet and it would be started soon. This upset me considering the length of time in their possession. I asked the representative to please contact me with any updates. Two weeks passed and I hadnít received any kind of communication from a Kimber representative. So I called. Again, the lady was very nice but didnít have good news for me. She told me that it had been stripped but they were waiting on other firearms to do the finish. Apparently they bake on the finish and they do it in groups so mine was waiting on other firearms to fill the baking device. Week 6(maximum wait according to Kimber for even ďspecial casesĒ) and my pistol had only just been stripped. Week 7 came and I had not received a call or email from Kimber. 7 weeks in Kimberís possession and there were 0 attempts at contacting me. Week 8 just passed on the 22nd of January and I still have not received any kind of communication from Kimber. Today, January 26th of 2017 my wife looks at her bank account as to put money in there to pay rent. Only to find that she has been charged $618. No phone call, no email, just an unexplained charge on her account from Kimber Manufacturing. It was told to Kimber that there would be two credit cards on file; one for the finishing of the gun and the other for the grips. My wifeís card was charged for the full amount instead of 2 separate accounts as instructed. She had asked for a Kimber representative for a phone call before the cards were charged so money could be moved from savings in to checking. Again we received no phone call and as a result of that our rent check bounced and returned to our landlords bank. My wife then had to make a very embarrassing phone call to explain Kimberís mistake to our landlord. After contacting Kimber and explaining the mistake they made, their idea of reparations was to knock off the return shipping and installation fee of $62.50. On top of all of this, I received an email with a tracking number as if the pistol had been shipped today. Well as I read further into the email I read the RMA number as RMA 51323. My RMA is 51232 and has been since they issued it to me in November. So at this point, there is a pistol being delivered to me but Iím counting on a good chance that itís not mine as the RMA would be the same. This experience has been a nightmare and Iím thoroughly disappointed at their approach and services..I will never buy another Kimber product and will certainly never require their services again. I had heard that Kimber sold to Sig Sauer in 2009. Apparently all their craftsmanship and service went with the company.
Supercarrycustom83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

WoW....They sure did drop several balls on this didn't they..

Hopefully your gun gets back to you soon and maybe the RMA # was just a typo and you'll have it in a couple of days..

Good luck and btw, Kimber wasn't sold to Sig Sauer in 2009. They're still in Yonkers, NY and still making 1911's at a rapid pace...Some may say too fast...
Nellybelle and Chuck43 like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

I've too older Kimber 1911s. They are just fine.

Then I bought a Solo. To spare you the long story, let's just say "Total Disaster" and leave it at that.

No longer a good company. There are much better manufacturers out there, most of which sell their pistols at a much more reasonable price than Kimber to begin with.
Sooltauq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #4

And yet there are many many KT members that would beg to differ with your assumption sir....

#luvmykimbers
The Colonel and Mini Me like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Sooltauq View Post

Then I bought a Solo. To spare you the long story, let's just say "Total Disaster" and leave it at that.

No longer a good company. There are much better manufacturers out there, most of which sell their pistols at a much more reasonable price than Kimber to begin with.
Yep, Sooltauq I disagree with your statement Kimber "no longer a good company."
Never had any trouble with any of my Kimber 1911 pistols and I have a few.

It may be like back in the 70's people that bought a Boss 302 Mustang were happy as clams but the people that bought a 1970 Pinto probably thought Ford Motor Company was no good.
Chuck43, Marshall, Markie and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 01-27-2017 at 11:34 AM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Sooltauq View Post

Yep....we all have moments in life when we look back into our past thinking, speaking and reflecting on earlier life experiences. Sadly we must accept reality, adjust to this modern world or simply.....drop out.

Marshall likes this.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote