Kimber Talk Forums banner

Grips, grips, grips....

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Preacher 
#1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about making this a poll. But a poll usually has one question. Here I have a couple.

Just like everyone has a "holster drawer"..... I'm sure most of us have a "Grip Drawer" too.....

1)How many sets of grips are in your "Grip Drawer"?

2)What is the $$$ value of that "Grip Drawer"?

Edited because it confused ME after I posted it....

#2 ·
Hmm, interesting IDK. The holster drawer is kind of a dead zone, there are a few in there that still get used on occasion.

Don't have a grip drawer. More of a "Grip Box" finally had to do something with and organize the 1911 grips, so I was at Wally World and bought some Plano fishing tackle boxes, they contain brand new and take off 1911 grips. Without counting maybe 25 grip sets. I have one real Ivory full size set that I think was around $385alone, maybe couple hundred or so for all the rest.

I need boxes for at least a dozen revolver grip sets.

Reactions: Fredneck72
#5 ·
I'm odd in that I like the original grips on a gun. My preference is for wood grips on a blue or black frame. The only aftermarket grips that I can recall buying was a set of Pachmayrs for an S&W decades ago, because Pachmayr was all the rage. I never thought they looked very good, and didn't think they aided in gun handling. Eventually I took them off, and they sat in a drawer until the rubber became a little checked, and I threw them out.

#9 ·
I like to change the stock grips on my guns, so I think I have a set of grips for almost every pistol and revolver I have. I never thought about it before, but now I understand why I keep finding wooden grips in my gear boxes and stashed in the closet and on shelves.

I also have a bunch of rifle stocks and shotgun stocks around here too.

#13 ·
Aright guys, I am reaching out to the pros on this. Of course, I don't even have my Kimber home yet and I am already looking at changing the grips. LOL!
I like the VZ's of course, but I also see Lok Grips and Cool Hand for a lot less.
Looking online I cannot see them in hand to really feel the difference if any?
Can you help me out on this one? Are the VZ's worth the extra $30 or so?

#14 ·
I have bought several sets of LOK grips, I like them, they look good, they fit well, some were more than $30 bucks less than VZ. IMO I can't tell any difference. If you want or need really grippy grips then VZ might be for you.

LOK grips.

Attachments

#17 ·
I feel 100% certain you will like the LOK grips and if not well hey you don't have much money tied up in them and you can always spring for the VZ grips later.

Reactions: AntMan71
#18 ·
Hmmmmm?

Back in the day, when I was a big time revolver shooter/collector, I changed a lot of grips. I have huge, or as President Trump says, "YUUUUGE!!" hands. Because of this, I changed out a lot of grips on revolvers. I never kept the factory grips, because they were just plain useless to me. Therefore, I had no grip drawer, box or anything of the like. I didn't need one.

Now days, I no longer own even one revolver. I'm now in the modern high tech era and all my handguns are semi-autos. I have 3 Smith and Wesson M&P's and a Ruger LCP. All are polymer frames and hence, no grips to change, just the grip adapters that I change to the large version. The unused ones stay in the original factory boxes. Of course, the LCP has no such luxury and no change has been made. Last but not least, my Kimber Pro Carry II, has a set of Hogue Blue Lava G-10 grips that are pure window dressing. They are not for performance reasons. They just look cool!! ;););)

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

The original factory Kimber grips are in the original factory box. So, in a nutshell, I have no special box or drawer. I just have the original factory pistol boxes

Boring ain't I??

Reactions: 2sharp2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.