Ultra Covert II wear - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 04:52 AM   #1

Ultra Covert II wear

I dunno if I should make anything out of this, but it bugs me. I'm curious how you feel and if anyone is having same prob.
On the left side of my grip safety near bottom and along the top and bottom of trigger edge also on left, is wearing off. Only about 300 rounds through it.
I was ticked to see it as it stands out. So what I did was disassemble the whole gun, took some very fine paper and made sure there were no sharp edges. I applied a little Caseys black touchup and re-assembled. It seems to better, but it started wearing again. Not as much on trigger, but on the grip safety.

So... I called Kimber and they said that would be normal wear on a tight tolerance gun. I told him that was not acceptable and if he recommended sending the gun in to get re-fitted or whatever. He said no but if I wanted to order replacelement parts, (at my expense), I could. Needless to say, I told him I'd think this over.

I also have a Warrior SOC which has more rounds through it and not a mark on it. Only difference between the two is SOC is all steel where frame of Ultra is aluminum.

How you guys feel about this if it were yours or am I just fussy. I mean, if I had normal wear and tear after carrying for long periods or tons of rounds, that's one thing. But so early on and they feel it's ok? Hmm...

Photo shows after touchup. You can see wearing already... trigger is not as bad, but the grip kinda bugs me because it shows more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (1.24 MB, 19 views)

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Last edited by bhunted; 10-01-2014 at 04:55 AM. Reason: added photo
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2014, 05:11 AM   #2

I have some finish coming off of the grip safety on my SCUHD. I can tell there's very slight wear on left side from EDC where it contacts the holster. If your gun is not a safe queen, it's going to show some wear. It's unavoidable.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Most of my Kimbers have similar wear marks, as the rep said it's going to happen on a tight tolerance gun. The finish (Kimpro II) is not know for it's durability, most times when there's a problem with it it involves chipping or flaking.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Super Moderator

My Pro Carry shows similar wear. It doesn't bother me since it's my EDC.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #5

It's not holster wear though. It's metal on metal scraping. But ok, I get it. Just seems that it was poor machining as I eliminated most of it. Tight tolerence should not be that much of a factor in those locations. SOC shows no wear yet and has more rounds.. Worse come to worse, next time I send a gun out for coating, I'll send those parts too. Won't cost me anything that way. He have some great cerakoters in the area. Koter out here says he gets a lot of Kimbers in the shop with those probs. Seems common.

Thanks guys...

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 10-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #6

Well, yes it would probably bother me but don't know if the battle would be worth it. I guess for me as long as it was 100% reliable I would not worry about minor wear, even if it did happen early after purchase.
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #7

It actually scraped a rectangle shape right down to the metal grip safety. At such a low round count, it could essentially dig it's way through a layer of metal. Ya just can't tell because I touched it up as best I could... I'll just sand it more and get it coated. But for the price of their guns... Should not be scraped up that fast. That's all I'm saying.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 10-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #8

Cool Me Too!

My Pro Carry II has some aluminum frame finish issues also. I have done the Birchwood Casey black touch up trick on my frame behind the trigger and on the grip safety, also. When I first noticed it, I was a bit put off (to describe it mildly--no four letter Lineman talk). However, I realized that I was carrying the pistol and shooting the day lights out of it. It was gonna wear. I like the weight savings with the aluminum frame, so I have to take the good with the bad. Mr. Casey's touch up and my Pro Carry will become close friends and we will all live happily ever after.
Hogue blue Lava Grips on Kimber PC II.JPG
You can see the wear behind the trigger and on the grip safety of my Pro Carry.

BTW, I have had the same issue with Colt and Smith and Wesson aluminum framed guns. I guess it is the nature of the beast!!! No matter what, the first wear marks on a new, expensive pistol are upsetting. But, as Forrest Gump said, ......."IT HAPPENS!!!" I feel your pain!!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 10-02-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:14 AM   #9

Ultra Covert II wear

Your grip safety shows it exactly the same as mine. Got to be a bad cut in the frame or over sized safety. Dunno. All I know is my SOC is perfect yet. Shrug...

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Search tags for this page

kimber pro covert apparel

kimber ultra covert ii forum

kimber ultra covert ii wear on frame

kimber ultra covert touch up

kimber ultra raptor ii frame wear

kimber warrior finish wear

kimber warrior soc holster

kimpro ii durability

Click on a term to search for related topics.