9mm Team Match II report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #1

9mm Team Match II report

I don't think I previously mentioned this. A few months back I went to a four day course in which the ammo requirements were 1000 rifle and 1000 handgun. I took a couple things to verify and or prove a point.

Some of the gun snobs on other forums say:
A- an off brand AR will not survive such schools
B- a 1911 cannot survive this unless it is custom built. And certAinly no Kimber can. And any 1911 in 9mm will be a jammomatic.

I fired the 1000 556 rounds with no issue through a PSA rifle I built up. I didn't clean the rifle at anytime during the course but did add lube to the bcg on the morn of day three. This rifle had about a thousand through it and was cleaned and zeroed before going to the class.

The TM 9 was not cleaned at anytime throughout the course. In fact it was 800-1000 dirty from my reloads when I arrived. During the course I fired 1300 rounds of Speer brass case Lawman. On day four I had one failure to extract. I fired a few hundred more after that without issue.

The gun did get a lube job each morning. Without removing the slide I would put a drop at the front of the hood. Lock the slide back and put a drop on the rear each slide rail and on the barrel end. I should say that I use white lithium on my pistols in combination with oil.

The TM has had the extractor gap opened to .064" and a new oversized EGW firing pin stop fitted with a small radius bottom. Other than that is is stock. Oh VZ Operator II grips.

The gun had about 8000 through it when I got there and to date is 12000.

I have had a couple failures to extract in the last couple thousand that annoy me. So I bought a new chamber reAmer and finisher to check that. Everything else specs out fine. Obviously I would rather shoot than clean and with the little extractor engagement on the smaller 9mm case rim keeping it cleaner may help but it's not my work gun and I have enough to do. Not enough time to clean everything each time it's shot.

Last edited by Mike240; 10-04-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #2

I might add I saw several Glocks choking in this course. I had to give and install a few parts as I travel to schools with armory tools. I also put in a new recoil spring on a guys Springfield Pro model. So I don't blame the gun but he said it only returns to battery with a 18.5 recoil spring. So I kinda do blame the gun since it shouldn't require that much spring.

Everyone at the school were SWAT guys from Southern AZ or California. Except me. A washed up old SWAT guy!
Chuck43 and Insta-Gator like this.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

Man you know things are slow on a forum when you have to post on your own post, thanks for the post.

What would a post be on a limber forum with out some good Glock mud slinging. those darn Glocks.
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

I had to carry a Glock for quite a few years. They served us well. And armorer support is easy. But they do go parts when used a lot. Those in the class were definitely high mileage guns and many were Gen 4. Probably early Gen 4 based on the issues they were having.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Nice job! Feels good to know some people don't know chit! That's a powerful bunch of shooting you did there.
I assume it was Swat style related shooting?
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #6

Pretty awesome range report! Good for you going out there & disproving commonly held beliefs. Thanks for what you do!

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #7

Pat mcNamara's four day TAPS course. Former CAG/Delta guy.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #8

Cool Oh Hell Yeah!!!!

Thanks for the in depth range report, Mike! What kind of wine did "THOSE PEOPLE" order to go with their CROW???

Give your 9mm Kimber and that PSA AR an extra ration of oil, a slap on the magazine and a very hearty "Well Done!!". My Kimber Pro Carry and DPMS Panther Arms Oracle are toasting them with a shot of Hoppes #9!!!

Thanks, again, for what you do Mike!! Be careful out there!!
Chuck43 likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #9

Congrat's on the achievement and than you for the report! I did not know competitions for combined rifle and pistol were out there with that high of a round count ! Seems like a Marathon gun competition!! Bravo !
Aeromat209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
Man you know things are slow on a forum when you have to post on your own post, thanks for the post.

What would a post be on a limber forum with out some good Glock mud slinging. those darn Glocks.
New York state of mind?

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote