Kimber reliability - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Kimber reliability

At the range a couple days ago, a fellow shooter was showing me his Sig. He looked at my Kimber and remarked that Kimbers are finicky. I have four Kimbers. 2 full size 45acp, 1 pro carry and a new micro9. I shoot weekly and clean after every range outing. I have rarely had a malfunction. Occasional FTE. (once in 200 rounds maybe). I clean my guns and do regular maintenance. I think Kimber makes a great gun. Never had a bad one. Cleaning is part of shooting. It isn't over until the gun is clean. Just venting. Thanks
mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2017, 10:56 PM   #2

Hmmm... Sig, Kimber, Glock, HK, Springfield, Ruger... they're all a little different, serving different purposes. Just like cars.

Some are very easy on the shooter.
Some are aesthetically more pleasing.
Some are more reliable.
Some can be raced.

A Ferrari, a Mercedes, a Toyota, a Chevy truck--they're all exceptional at what they do, but none is perfect in all regards. The truck guys want a ride like a Mercedes. The Mercedes guys want to be able to carve through the curves like a Ferrari. The Ferrari guys want the reliability of the Toyota. But no one is going to get it all.
DGM1962, Tejun and starnovi like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:00 AM   #3

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Hmmm... Sig, Kimber, Glock, HK, Springfield, Ruger... they're all a little different, serving different purposes. Just like cars.

Some are very easy on the shooter.
Some are aesthetically more pleasing.
Some are more reliable.
Some can be raced.

A Ferrari, a Mercedes, a Toyota, a Chevy truck--they're all exceptional at what they do, but none is perfect in all regards. The truck guys want a ride like a Mercedes. The Mercedes guys want to be able to carve through the curves like a Ferrari. The Ferrari guys want the reliability of the Toyota. But no one is going to get it all.
I drive a Dodge Ram with a Hemi rides like a car and will get up and move when I want it to. I own Kimbers S&W's and many other fine brands. I may never get it all but sometimes I feel like I am pretty close to having it all.

I will add I think all I am lacking is a good ol puppy dog for a faithful companion!
RustyIron, DGM1962, Tejun and 3 others like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm

Last edited by swca; 03-16-2017 at 12:07 AM.
swca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2017, 05:44 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I have a number of Kimbers in both .45 and 9mm, I don't get to shoot as often as I used to but I shoot about 800 rounds a month. I clean my guns after every outing and keep shot records so I know when to replace springs. I'd have to check my records to see the last time I had a malfunction of any kind, they rarely happen. The round count on my most shot Kimber is over 26,000 rounds. The more you shoot them the better they get.
Marshall, DGM1962, Tejun and 7 others like this.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #5

Their will always be folks that have to justify what they own by degrading someone else's property. Most of the time they just spout off hear say, or someone who posts something, they have no experience with the gun personally. Doesn't matter what brand you own, someone else has had problems with them.
Outerlimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:45 PM   #6

My grandson ( aged 16 ) had never fired a hand gun before so I took him to the range today.
We fired a range of guns from .22 cal. to .45 cal.
He ran over 200 rounds each through my wife's Kimber Micro .380 and my Kimber Solo 9mm.
Never a hiccup in either.
The horror stories you hear about Kimber's and reliability are overstated and can usually be traced back to user problems but if due to the gun it's self Kimber will always make it right with you.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #7

Kimber's are finicky? Hahahahah. PEOPLE are finicky.

I have 13 Kimber's none have had a problem not even the dreaded 3" barrel Ultra's. No malfunctions at all, only had a couple issues and those were all traced back to bad magazines.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mopar View Post
At the range a couple days ago, a fellow shooter was showing me his Sig. He looked at my Kimber and remarked that Kimbers are finicky. I have four Kimbers. 2 full size 45acp, 1 pro carry and a new micro9. I shoot weekly and clean after every range outing. I have rarely had a malfunction. Occasional FTE. (once in 200 rounds maybe). I clean my guns and do regular maintenance. I think Kimber makes a great gun. Never had a bad one. Cleaning is part of shooting. It isn't over until the gun is clean. Just venting. Thanks
He read it on the internet. It has to be true.
2sharp2, swca, Trex and 2 others like this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #9

I would have to add.
More than 50% of the time with any firearm, problems are directly linked to operator error....
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Oreste and 5 others like this.
Kimber Super Carry Pro. (SOLD)
Kimber Super Carry Ultra H.D.
Kimber Stainless Raptor Pro.
Kimber Stainless Raptor Ultra. (SOLD)
Kimber Pro CDP (2017) 9mm.
Kimber Micro 9 CDP.
Sig Sauer P226 SAO Legion - 9mm.
Sig Sauer P 266 DA/SA Legion - 357 Sig. .40 S&W.
Sig Sauer P229 DA/SA Legion - 357Sig,40 S&W.
Sig Sauer P220 DA/SA Carry Legion - 45 ACP.
DGM1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #10

Yep....people are more finicky than guns...for sure.
Talked to a guy at my Range, was having problems with a Sig P320, saw I was shooting one and asked if mine was ok. No Problems with mine, I told him. He went on to tell me how the Sig P320 is junk, it was making a clicking sound after he pulled the trigger back, never should have bought a Polymer Framed gun.....on and on.
After a little more conversation, he tells me about all the work "he" had done to the gun. Replaced the trigger, took the Fire Control Unit out and took it apart and polished parts, had watched a Youtube Vid, showed him everything to do. I asked him did it do that clicking when it was new? Nope....but he assured me it wasn't the trigger or the assembly of the FCU that had anything to do with it. It was a Sig....so it was JUNK!!!
Some problems can be traced back to the owner, or previous owner....don't get me wrong, you can just get a gun that has issues, it happens.
But a lot of the problems are self inflicted.
Outerlimits is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber reliability

kimber ultra carry 2 reliability
Click on a term to search for related topics.