Parts & Service - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tidriver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #1

Parts & Service

I just purchased a new Solo. Put 108 rounds of different ammo down the tube with out any problem. I am comparing the Solo to my Kahr CM9, Sig P290RS 9MM, DB9, and a number of other pistols, and I will say the Solo is the best. I put another 50 some rds down range and the extractor broke. I was disappointed, but I looked at it and found the extractor has very limited movement. Earlier I know I popped the slide shut over some homemade snap caps, and that may have lead to the extractor issue. My main problem is Kimber. They may replace the part under warranty. I was honest and told them what I did, but the pistol ran fine after that. I wanted to order an extractor, and a spare pin and spring. Much to my surprise is they will not sell these parts to me nor a gunsmith! They said I needed to send it in and I had to pay the cost to ship it oneway. I said I would send just the slide in, nope, they have to have the complete pistol. I objected as fitting and tuning an extractor is not a big deal. Nope, they won, and it appears I have lost. I did explain to them that this adds greatly to my Cost of Ownership, and that I believe they should advertise this information as it would influence my purchases. I figured I would run another 500 rds down range and if I still liked it, I planned to purchase a second one just in case the first one broke. I don't know about that now. I understand all the issues they have, but how about they understand the issues their customers have?

Anybody else have this problem? Do you think Kimber will allow the sale of parts within a few years when repairs may be more likely? I plan to write them a letter as the phone only gets you so far, and they do not have an email address. I really like the Solo, and I can only hope Kimber does right by me and you other owners....

Thanks Dave

Last edited by gooder1; 11-07-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: error in spelling
gooder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #2

One thing I wanted to add, is I can understand them not wanting to pay shipping as they actually said it has been costing them to much, what ever that means. When I write them I will suggest they set up a shipping program where I can pay the shipping directly to them with a credit card, and they send me the label. That would reduce a guys shipping cost as a private party and or sending it back by way of an FFL. I would have liked this option and I believe it would increase their customer satisfaction rate. I had to send my DB9 back after 738 rounds and they paid the shipping. I had a DB380 when they first came out, broke at 400 rounds and I said never again, but the DB9 was just to interesting not to try. The Solo rules for pocket carry, but only time will tell if I regret this one. Thanks Dave
Old 11-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Dave (gooder1). As the owner of multiple Kimbers I have to say I've never needed to use Kimbers customer service. Kimber has a policy of servicing their guns not parts, if they are going to make repairs they insist on test firing the gun before returning it to the customer. Members have reported returning older guns to the factory for minor repairs like yours and having them returned refinished at no charge.

The one thing you should know is that if you have modified your gun in any way Kimber will return it to factory specs and charge you for it before returning it. I keep the factory parts I've replaced in my Kimbers in little baggies with notes telling which gun they came from so I can put them back before I return the gun to the factory.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #4

Chuck43, thanks, and I did not know that, and Kimber never mentioned it, even after I politely explained my disappointment. It would have been nice to know before the purchase as it does reflect on the cost of ownership. I own a number of revolvers and pistols (around 80), half of which are very hard to find parts for, and I am use to doing my own repairs. In fact I told Kimber that I could have the extractor made and tune it for less then the cost to ship it to them! I seldom leave a firearm as manufactured, but I left the Solo alone as A. it was running 100% and I don't say 100% very often as anything can and will fail, and B. the extractor broke before I was ready to tune things a little.

Maybe Kimber will use my idea of using them and paying them for the shipping label as that should save $20.00 or so and not cost them a dime. Once I put the Solo back in service I really believe I will buy a spare one just in case a repair is needed. They did a wonderful job making this pocket pistol just right (even though a number of buyers will disagree). Thanks again for the info and the welcome, Dave
Old 11-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I'm sure it their legal department and not the bean counters that make a number of the decisions that dictate their repair policy.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:53 AM   #6

Question Wow!!!

This is the first serious complaint I have ever seen with regard to Kimber's Customer Service Department!!! If the OP hadn't mentioned the homemade snap caps, they probably would have fixed his Solo for free. Just send the pistol to Kimber Customer Service and they will repair it. When it is returned, enjoy shooting it and be safe!! Why be picky about how it gets fixed??!!

Go figure!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #7

I had a problem with my pro carry II failing to feed. Called customer service and they sent me a new heavier recoil spring to try to remedy the FTF completely free of charge. When the new recoil spring failed to fix the FTF problem, I contacted kimber again and they sent me a free shipping label to send to Yonkers. The kimber gunsmiths fixed the FTF by reaming and polishing my barrel. Then shipped the repaired pistol back to me all free of charge. So my experience is all good. I think for you, it was a case of too much info. Sorry it worked out that way for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chuck43 likes this.
tidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #8

Repaired Free, sort of.

Ok, Kimber did repair the extractor at no cost to me. However, I did have to pay a cheap price of $43.00 to ship it to them. They did it quick, like 3 weeks, but I could have put in the extractor and tuned it if it needed it in less than an hour. So, my main concern with repair costs due to shipping costs still stands. I inspected the extractor and it is very thin, but I am sure they needed to make it that way. The pistol in and of itself is my favorite and will be my daily carry. No problem with the service, just the cost of shipping and the wasted time. I have 80 some pistols of which 60 are at least 20 to 100 years old, so I do all of my own repairs, unless I need a local gunsmiths knowledge. Now, I have to decide if I want a spare Solo, just in case.

Search tags for this page

how much does it cost to have a pistol shipped back to kimber and have them refinish it

how much does kimber charge to refinish

kimber refinish cost

kimber repair cost

kimber repair labor cost

Click on a term to search for related topics.