First extended range firing. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

First extended range firing.

With the cold weather here, I went to the Gander Mountain indoor range with numerous differing bullet profiles, two Kimber magazines and two others from Wilson Rogers. I did have a few feeds that did not fully close the action into battery.

The good news is I found out why and the condition stopped. The "bad" news is that my pistol is very tight, and you cannot believe how filthy Blazer Brass hardball is! Yikes, it was coming out of my Kimber like charcoal from blackpowder!

My disassembly tool has not arrived, but again I found the problem. My little wire tool is just a tad too long on the short leg. A little trim-polish, some careful placement and the Ultra II came right apart.

(BTW, my example seems to assemble better if the coil assembly is inserted into the slide, and the clip is removed at that point. Then tucking my thumb by the grip safety, wrapping my fingers in front of the rear sight and then squeezing allows me to drop the slide stop pin directly into place. No idiot marks.)

I also removed the extractor and the firing pin. Again, everything nook and cranny was coated with gritty black residue. It actually takes me a shorter period of time to break-up with a redhead than it did to clean this handgun! However, once clean, it cycled smoothly. Even smoother than new. I'm not sure break-in was any problem--I think the pistol was filthy.

Only real flaw was that a small rough spot on one of the Wilson Rogers magazine followers retarded a round just enough so the extractor did not pick up the rim. It's fixed already.

I would like a bit more "air" around the front sight. The range at Gander Mountain is darkened, with harsh light. The black-on-black sights would get lost. When I did my part, the pistol shot to a perfect six o'clock. Numerous times I got three-shot cloverleaves.

I also need some advice from you guys! Before I freak out and send the pistol to Tussey for a reliability package, can you name a better self defense load? *sigh* Alas, my Kimber does not like HST rounds.

The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
The good news is I found out why and the condition stopped. The "bad" news is that my pistol is very tight, and you cannot believe how filthy Blazer Brass hardball is! Yikes, it was coming out of my Kimber like charcoal from blackpowder!

I also need some advice from you guys! Before I freak out and send the pistol to Tussey for a reliability package, can you name a better self defense load? *sigh* Alas, my Kimber does not like HST rounds.
Nice range report, I find Winchester White Box just as filthy. I've given up on both and now shoot only Freedom Munitions reloads at the range.

As for a defense load, that's something you're going to have to play with. I have 4 Kimbers and they each have their own preferences. I run Winchester Ranger T in my two carry guns.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #3

Cool WWB Filthy!!

Thanks for the range report!! Ya done good!!! Sounds like your Kimber is functioning pretty good. I have used Blazer Brass and while it is dirty, my Pro Carry II likes it. It likes WWB too and it is even dirtier!! I guess I have a "Pig Pistol"!!!! If I want my pistol to stay cleaner, I shoot Federal American Eagle FMJ.

I replaced the original recoil spring in my Pro Carry with a Wilson Combat Flat Wire spring. It make disassembly a snap. Too bad they don't make one for the Ultra.

Keep up the shooting and be safe!! Try to stay warm!!!

smow.gifsmow.gifsmow.gifsmow.gifsmow.gifsmow.gifsmow.gifsmow.gif
Olaf.jpg

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 11-19-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Yeah, I'm really happy with the pistol. Nothing serious, all the issues involved magazines and dirt. I intend to run another +100 rounds through it this week, just to see if a thorough cleaning makes a difference.

Oh, I forgot to mention the laser. With the range offer present, I flipped on the opticals, and did a fingers-over-knuckles two hand hold with the pistol about mid chest height. Using a target with nine diamonds on it, I positioned the laser on the center-most icon.

From my vantage point, it didn't look like it was hitting anything. When I emptied the magazine and stopped, I saw seven holes--most touching--in a horizontal string about three inches under the little diamond.

Had the target been an attacker, most of the shots would have hit his xiphoid bone. Not bad for the first time out.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:14 AM   #5

Oh, one thing I did want to discuss, and I'm wondering if it ever happens to you guys.

For example, one of the first expensive pistols I owned was a Bren Ten--I was even lucky enough to get two factory magazines. All of the gun rags of that era went crazy for the thing. Of course, I took mine to the range, chambered a round and fired, and naturally the thing choked. It failed to go completely into battery.

Now, for the rest of the time I owned the handgun, it never burped, stumbled or failed to eject. Perfect performance. And that means with truncated cone ammunition, hollowpoints, cast bullets, anything.

But in the back of my mind I always wondered if it would fail me at the worst possible time.

Now, all of the stutters I experienced yesterday had to do with magazines and dirt. The more I shot it, the better it cycled and more comfortable I got with it. And not surprisingly, with the OCD way I cleaned the pistol when I got home, it worked smoothly and silently just racking by hand.

But you must remember, this is not a target pistol for me. This is going to be a defensive pistol first and foremost. Oh, I'll chase a few beer cans, and my search for a reliable defensive round will continue. But when the chips are down, this pistol must perform.

We all know it will. My example had normal glitches, something I could have easily eliminated just by choosing cleaner hardball. But the fact remains, in my mind I wonder how long this will take and if I can ever solve the issue to quell the doubts.

Now, I never think about this with my SW 360PD. Despite being a revolver, the worst jam I ever experienced was getting a piece a grit caught under the star of a Model 19. The revolver froze up so tight that it wouldn't open until I drowned it in WD40. Had it been during an exchange, I would have died.

Most of the problems with the Kimber were remedied by bumping the back of the slide with the palm of my hand.

What's your take on this?
Old 11-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #6

Wink Strive For 99.9% Reliability!!

A defensive pistol IS a mechanical device. Therefore it is subject to failure. That is a fact and it can not be changed. All you can do is maintain your pistol in the best possible condition, use the best ammo that it functions well with, practice with your EDC pistol, practice from varied positions and simulate any failure that you can and learn to deal with them instinctively. You can do no more than this. With repetition, your confidence in your EDC will grow.

Oh yeah, I forgot one other item. It wouldn't hurt to ask the Good Lord for guidance and protection should you ever NEED to use your EDC!!!

Remember, use the good stuff and practice, practice, practice!!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #7

Oh, I'm going to use it! I have more ammunition right here, and a proper holster will be here in just a few days. In fact, I'm more concerned right now about the thumb-break of my decades' old designed holster brushing off the safety than I am about ultimate reliability.

But facts are facts. But until I get another 100 rounds through the Kimber and after the new Bianchi holster arrives, I sadly put my SW 360PD on my belt.

My SIG P238 and the Kimber are now "bedroom guns" and I'm hoping that changes inside a week. I figure both of those pistols have sights and optics designed for low light (and low lifes) and it's a logically prudent, but emotionally unsatisfying, short-term solution.

Search tags for this page

content

Click on a term to search for related topics.