Laser sights - do yours drift? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

Question Laser sights - do yours drift?

I lined up the laser sights on my new Micro CDP LG, and then ran about 200 rounds through it. During cleaning, I noticed the laser had shifted by a click or two, so I reset it.

I then decided to check my SCU+, also fitted with a Crimson Trace laser. It was off by a click or two. Lastly, my Sig 1911 - same thing.

None of them were off by very far, but I'm thinking I'll have to check them more often. I'm curious to hear how stable the lasers have been for everyone else. Do yours drift at all?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:35 AM   #2

Wow I'll have to check mine, I shoot outside so it's hard to see with these aging eyes. It would be nice if they offered green lasers on the micro pistols.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #3

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
...it's hard to see with these aging eyes.
I agree, Malibu - the lasers help a lot in that condition.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #4

Wink My 2 Cents Worth!!

I had a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips on my Stainless Custom II. They were set up by the owner of the gun shop where I bought them. I never had to touch them again. They stayed locked in on that setting and my shooting all went to point of aim using the laser

.Kimber Custom Stainless II.jpg

However, being the doubting soul that I am, I still did not trust the laser for self defense use. Having to to turn on sighting equipment kind of rubs me the wrong way. I have since changed all of my pistols over to tritium night sights. I find the glow on my night stand after dark to be a very comforting sight. They are there no matter what. No switches or pressure pads. Just there and ready to use!!!

Trijicon Night Sights Kimber PC2.jpg

..................That's just me!!
Chuck43 likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 05-04-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #5

Originally Posted by P8RIOT View Post
I lined up the laser sights on my new Micro CDP LG, and then ran about 200 rounds through it. During cleaning, I noticed the laser had shifted by a click or two, so I reset it.

I then decided to check my SCU+, also fitted with a Crimson Trace laser. It was off by a click or two. Lastly, my Sig 1911 - same thing.

None of them were off by very far, but I'm thinking I'll have to check them more often. I'm curious to hear how stable the lasers have been for everyone else. Do yours drift at all?
Of course you know that if you check the laser dot at one distance cowittnessed with your iron sites it will be off at a further distance. I go out in my garage which is about 30 feet long or more and put the dot on the wall and then set it to my sites so that at 30 feet I'm zeroed. If I'm closer than 30 feet the dot will appear low and right. Further than 30 feet it will appear left and high. Not enough for me to worry about though in a self-defense situation.
Hoffbrew likes this.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
I had a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips on my Stainless Custom II. They were set up by the owner of the gun shop where I bought them. I never had to touch them again. They stayed locked in on that setting and my shooting all went to point of aim using the laser

.Attachment 51194

However, being the doubting soul that I am, I still did not trust the laser for self defense use. Having to to turn on sighting equipment kind of rubs me the wrong way. I have since changed all of my pistols over to tritium night sights. I find the glow on my night stand after dark to be a very comforting sight. They are there no matter what. No switches or pressure pads. Just there and ready to use!!!

Attachment 51210

..................That's just me!!
I read a testimony a few years back from the police sergeant who showed up at the scene where two of his deputies were trying to hold the bad guy at gunpoint with their long guns but he was not complying with their demands to get on the ground. He pulled out his pistol which was equipped with a Crimson trace laser and when that laser dot appeared on his chest he hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. Now I am not saying that that is what I would expect or count on happening, however if it happens it's all good. That dot said something to the BG; probably that the shot was not going to miss it's mark.
Tejun and Hawker800 like this.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
...I still did not trust the laser for self defense use. Having to to turn on sighting equipment kind of rubs me the wrong way.
Good points, Lineman - couldn't agree more - if the laser doesn't work, the tritium will - but my aging eyes need all the help they can get.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Of course you know that if you check the laser dot at one distance cowittnessed with your iron sites it will be off at a further distance. I go out in my garage which is about 30 feet long or more and put the dot on the wall and then set it to my sites so that at 30 feet I'm zeroed. If I'm closer than 30 feet the dot will appear low and right. Further than 30 feet it will appear left and high. Not enough for me to worry about though in a self-defense situation.
I probably didn't take that into account well enough - I'll watch for it - better than thinking they drift due to the fast cycling. Like you say, mine were not far enough off to be an issue - just enough to raise the question.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #9

I check/adjust mine from dining room to kitchen.

For some unknown reason I can't get pics to load, I'll try later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150522_154646774_HDR.jpg (3.21 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150522_160337471_HDR.jpg (3.15 MB, 7 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 05-04-2017 at 04:21 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #10

I usually use a couple of mags worth to check mine every time I go shooting. I've got mine zero'd at 7.5 yds. With my old eyes if I had to use my gun a
t night for self defense the laser would be much quicker to get on target for me.

But to answer your question I have not had to ajust mine for quite a while, Crimson Trace very reliable.
Cucamonga kid likes this.

Last edited by WillyD; 05-04-2017 at 06:51 PM.
WillyD is offline   Reply With Quote