• 3 Post By 2sharp2
  • 4 Post By swca
  • 3 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By Petroski
  • 8 Post By Nellybelle
  • 2 Post By swca

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #1

Kimber trade question. (kimber gurus needed)

I have a guy wanting to trade his kimber carry elite custom shop for my ultra raptor 2. His ad states that it's 1 out of 1200 made and worth around $2500. My ultra raptor has been bronze cerakoted and has custom grips to match. Do you guys feel this is a fair trade? I'm new to kimbers and I'm having a hard time putting values on older kimbers that aren't in production.
Petroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #2

I can't help with your question, but I wondered what grips those were and the colors on them. They look great with the bronze!
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #3

Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

IMO: His Carry Elite is not worth any where near $2,500. I bet that is twice the amount of it's MSRP when new. Some of the no longer in production SIS models are not bringing that much money. There may be some numbered production Kimber's worth 2 grand+ but I don't know what they are.
Does he want you to add cash to the trade? To me since your Raptor is no longer "original" it might not bring as much on the used market. But I would still rather own your Raptor.
If you like it and want to trade go for it but don't do it thinking you have a rare high dollar pistol.

I say "No Deal" Howie.
Nellybelle, Chuck43 and Mini Me like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2017, 12:03 AM   #4

I have to go along with 2 sharp2 on this one! If it is an even swap then it is up to whether you like his more than your own. Looking at the two of them I think your Raptor is the better looking gun. I am willing to bet The raptor will shoot just as good or better than his Elite Carry. Just my opinion.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Petroski. The Elite Carry was a limited run piece to test the market for the design. When Kimber realized that it would sell, they tweaked the design a little and today call it the CDP. I don't believe it's a $2500.00 gun but a gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you really like the gun then go for it but do it because you like the gun.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #6

Thanks guys! I think I will hang on to my raptor. I'm not sure of which grips are on it. I picked up the raptor in a trade and the guy said he had invested around $1700 for the gun, grips & cerakote. I'm thinking of selling it for $1,100. Does this seem like a fair price?
Chuck43 likes this.
Petroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Petroski. The Elite Carry was a limited run piece to test the market for the design. When Kimber realized that it would sell, they tweaked the design a little and today call it the CDP. I don't believe it's a $2500.00 gun but a gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you really like the gun then go for it but do it because you like the gun.
Every time Chuckles responds to anyone, I get this feeling and image of an Wise Old Owl. I wonder why that is.
Chuck43, Marshall, 2sharp2 and 5 others like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Petroski View Post
Thanks guys! I think I will hang on to my raptor. I'm not sure of which grips are on it. I picked up the raptor in a trade and the guy said he had invested around $1700 for the gun, grips & cerakote. I'm thinking of selling it for $1,100. Does this seem like a fair price?
There again the Raptor is not original anymore. The basic rule of thumb is do not refinish guns even if they will look better than the original. Collectors will not pay a premium for a customized gun normally. If it were a custom build from the get go like a Wilson or Nighthawk or other gun makers who specialize in that would be different. A Colt 1911 70 series would be worth less if you put any kind of new finish on it. That goes for a lot of collectibles. After saying all that. It would not hurt to ask what ever price you would be comfortable with you might find somebody that really likes it the way it is. It is a good looking Raptor.
2sharp2 and starnovi like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote