Ultra Carry II, Part II - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

Ultra Carry II, Part II

As you know, my first trip to the range with my new Kimber was not that stellar. I had a few failures to go completely into battery. But upon cleaning, I found that the entire pistol had black grit and crud packed in every channel and orifice.

The pistol was detail stripped and scrubbed. I used a light lubrication of CLP Break-Free.

I usually meet a fellow biker at B&N for coffee in the early afternoon, but today he didn't show. I did have about 100 rounds of hardball (the same gritty Blazer brass type) and the Kimber was in the truck. I drove off to Gander Mouintain, and bought the cheapest range limit I could get.

I shouldn't have had to worry. What a difference a clean pistol can make! It fed, fired and ejected everything!

I must admit, the Ultra II is a bit reluctant with HST rounds, but they do work. I had the range officer fire a magazine--he shot a cloverleaf with one flyer--and stated the pistol is tight and solid, but felt fully functional. I bought another bulk back of ammunition, which was on sale, and will continue my regimen of use and scrubbing.

But the Kimber now rides with me in my new Bianchi holster. Love this gun...

BTW, I need some advice. I use Speer Gold Dots in my revolvers, and I had good luck with Golden Sabers in my automatics. Do you guys think Golden Sabers might be a better fit to the Ultra II?

Insta-Gator likes this.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I'm glad to hear that the gun is running well, it should get better as it continues to break in. The best judge of which ammo you should use in your gun is the gun itself. I have 4 Kimbers and they each have a favorite ammo but overall will run on Winchester Ranger T, my best advice is try a variety and see which ones run and shoot best.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #3

Thanks, Chuck, I have several other profiles and I'll see if I can narrow it down. This is a dedicated defensive pistol, and it must work--first time, every time.

BTW, I just finished cleaning the pistol, and this time it wasn't that gritty. I can't believe it got that bad being fired at the factory and then sitting in storage until I bought it.

I used that new disassembly tool. Yikes, the gun almost fell apart!

Old 12-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #4

I have tried the Golden Saber in both my PC2's and they loved them.
I bought a box of HST for GiGi's UC2 and she has yet to try them out yet but we will this weekend to see if it likes them or not..

Ditto on the NDZ take down tool..
I bought it for her UC2 and the 4in version for my PC2 9mm and it sure does make life easier..
I'm getting the Wilson Flat-Wire spring for my PC2-45 to see what it's all about..
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
BTW, I just finished cleaning the pistol, and this time it wasn't that gritty. I can't believe it got that bad being fired at the factory and then sitting in storage until I bought it.
Guess what, neither can I, I've handled too many new Kimbers to believe that.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #6

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Thanks, Chuck, I have several other profiles and I'll see if I can narrow it down. This is a dedicated defensive pistol, and it must work--first time, every time.

I used that new disassembly tool. Yikes, the gun almost fell apart!

That's fun!!

Cleaning a Kimber is 'just rewards' after ones Range Enjoyment.

Mags get nasty too.......

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #7

I did price the Golden Sabers as I left Gander Mountain--oh, my! They were 44 dollars!

Right now I have an HST cycled into the pipe, and seven hardball rounds in the magazine. I have a second Kimber magazine with six hardball topped with another HST.

BTW, I have one Wilson Rogers magazine that appears reluctant. Any ideas why? I cannot find the problem, and the other one works fine. Both are seven round versions, but they extend past the butt of the grip.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Reluctant in what way, have you tried breaking down the magazine and cleaning it. You'd be surprised and some of the little bits and pieces I've pulled out of new magazines over the years.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #9

I have a GM a quarter mile from my house and their prices are crazy.
I bought mine for $32 a few months ago and Midway has them in stock for $34..
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/172...oint-box-of-25
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Reluctant in what way, have you tried breaking down the magazine and cleaning it. You'd be surprised and some of the little bits and pieces I've pulled out of new magazines over the years.
Yeah, been there, done that. No grit. In fact, the spring looks better than the other one. I even checked the bottom of the follower for burrs that could be dragging.

The magazine cycles the rounds. But after three shots the four one seems to do a "double step." Like a stutter.