Micro 380 FTF - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Micro 380 FTF

Bought my wife a Micro 380 took it to the range a couple of days ago. The first few mags went through without a hiccup. After that it would not fire on its own. It seems it had a light primer strike. She would cock the hammer back and pull the trigger and sometimes it would fire and sometimes it would not. Any suggestions on what to do.
I also own the Kimber Micro 9 CSE when I bought that it had problems out of the box. I had FTE problems. That one I had to bend the extractor on it a little and that seems to fix most of the problems. I have found that in that gun it will FTE if I shoot 115 grain. But if I shoot 124 grain the gun will shoot great. So do I leave it alone and shoot 124 or are there any other things that I can do to run 115.
cousinmark and starnovi like this.
Bear604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bear604 View Post
I have found that in that gun it will FTE if I shoot 115 grain. But if I shoot 124 grain the gun will shoot great. So do I leave it alone and shoot 124 or are there any other things that I can do to run 115.
I use the heaviest bullets for the caliber that I can buy to break in my new guns. The heavier bullets allow the powder charge to build up a little more pressure before launching the bullet. The power the 124 gr. bullet generates over the 115 gr. is driving your slide back with a little more snap and extracting the empty case. For 9mm I like 147 gr. loads, a lot of guys call them "snappy" that's computer talk for they don't like the extra recoil. Get the gun fully broken in and it will shoot 115 - 147 gr. bullets equally as well.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

Thank you Chuck43 do you have any suggestions on what to do with my wife's 380?

Old 05-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Plenty of us on here with M380s have had problems with them; mine has been back to Kimber twice since I got it. Most of the problems that I've read about on here had to do with FTL or FTE as I recall. As far as I know you are experiencing a problem that has not been reported on here before for the 380. Even so, I hope that someone on here can help you out and that you can find a solution, otherwise call Kimber on Tuesday. Sorry you are having a problem.

ps: even though I've had problems with the little pistol, I really like it. It's fun to shoot and accurate. Mine is coming around, slowly but surely. Don't give up.
cousinmark likes this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #5

Bear 604,
Did you fire her 380? Just wondering....my wife just got into shooting last year after I bought her a Kimber Micro 380. It was because of she could pull the slide back easier than some of the others. We fired a few different types of ammo but hers likes the American Eagle's. I oiled it down good when we first started shooting it. She had a few problems that occurred like her hand grip etc. Whenever we go to a range...I shoot several clips through it myself to see if all is working well. She does good with it now....we still have the old spring combination in it.
Supertool likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #6

Markie I did fire her gun. I did the second mag and all went well. As we kept shooting is when the gun would not fire. She was cocking the hammer all the way back and pulling the trigger and the gun would not fire. After the gun would not fire she racked the slide and a live round came out.
Markie and starnovi like this.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #7

Starnovi I Love the Kimber guns every time I go to the store I find myself looking at Kimber. I also own the Sig P238 that is my carry gun. P238 out of the box I have not had one problem with. It had ate anything I have put through it. I am working on my Micro 9 to get it at that level. I would love nothing more than have the trust in my Micro 9. I want to be a Kimber lover.
starnovi likes this.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

I forgot to add that I own the Ultra Carry II .45 acp. Now that Kimber out of the box has been lights out. Have not had one problem with that gun. That is probably my favorite gun.
starnovi likes this.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #9

Hey Bear, sorry things aren't going better. On the .380 it sounds like the slide may not be completely going into battery? I'd give her another try paying careful attention to where the slide winds up after a shot is fired or after chambering the first round? The not going into battery problem was something that was reported with the old style guide rod and spring. Does your guide rod have a groove milled into the chamber end? If it's round you have the older style and Kimber should replace it with the newer rig.
You mentioned "cocking the hammer"? These pistols are designed for the hammer to be charged when the slide is racked. Releasing the hammer and controlling it's fall with your thumb is not considered safe. Carrying the pistol with a round in the chamber and the hammer down is also not a great idea. I'm not sure if that's what you're doing but thought I'd mention that as a PSA. Pull the slide all the way back and let it go to chamber a round. Don't ride the slide as the round chambers, the force of the spring is required to properly put her into battery. Again, maybe you're doing this, please don't be offended.
There have been instances where a firing pin is the culprit. Chuck reported having a broken firing pin in his Sig P238. A broken firing pin could also cause intermittent "no bang" issues? It comes apart just like the Sig, if you haven't take a look and be sure that's not the case or the pin is otherwise being impeded?
Good luck :-)
Markie and starnovi like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Bear604 View Post
Starnovi I Love the Kimber guns every time I go to the store I find myself looking at Kimber. I also own the Sig P238 that is my carry gun. P238 out of the box I have not had one problem with. It had ate anything I have put through it. I am working on my Micro 9 to get it at that level. I would love nothing more than have the trust in my Micro 9. I want to be a Kimber lover.
Hahaha, I know what you mean! I have a Sig Ultra 45 and my husband, daughter, and I all have a Sig P238. Never had a problem with any of them right out of the box. The Sigs seem to be very reliable, they just don't have the Kimber looks! I had a rough start with my full size SS Raptor 9mm and my Sapphire UC2 9mm as well as my 380. The Raptor and UC are both fine after break in period, and I never had any problems with my Micro9 except getting pelted in the face and forehead with ejections. It's just the 380 that has been a slow go to full function and reliability. I hope you get your problem resolved, mine is getting very close.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote