Narrowed down to 2. So which one? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #1

Narrowed down to 2. So which one?

I currently carry a Springfield Loaded and love it but I want a new 1911 more suited for carry. Based on my desires, it has lead me to two choices.
I want the following: all steel, 4" barrel, rounded bobtail.
That leads me to the Super Carry Pro HD or the Classic Carry Pro.

So, which one would you pick and why?

I believe the SCPHD is more blended which would be nice but I also hear the finish isn't super durable. The Classic Carry Pro is just gorgeous....I think a good blue has better wear characteristics (won't chip, but will show wear character over time), but has shaper edges.

Well, that's where I'm at. I would love some feedback.
I also realize neither of these choices will be readily available at the LGS, but I believe they will be worth the wait.
adamsredlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

Both great guns.

SCPHD is stainless under the finish. So, like my SCUHD, the finish will start to wear or chip. Mine is less than a year old and it has some holster wear on the slide and around the thumb safety. The grip safety has some flaking where it depresses into the grip. It's my EDC, so I don't sweat it. The key is which feels better and gives you a natural point/aim. I personally love the Super Carry HD series. Plus they are Series I not Series II, but I don't really add as much value to that as some other folk do. If I had the money, the SCPHD would be my next Kimber purchase. Then it would be a Stainless Pro Raptor. YMMV
DGM1962 likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #3

They should both feel the same I would think. Both the same size, shape and sights. Problem is finding both for a comparison.

Even though its a carry gun, chipping of the finish would bug me. I think the Classic Carry Pro would wear in better much like the finish on my Browning pheasant gun.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I think you'll be pleased with whichever one you choose. Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

I'm looking for a lnib SCPHD as a Kimber Keeper today.

btw.....Welcome to KT!

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.

Last edited by Tinman; 12-21-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois adamsredlines, my favorite gun is my Super Carry Pro. As for feel they should be identical, the difference between the HD and the Classic is in the steel used, the finish and the grips. I think the odds of finding a dealer with both the HD and Classic in stock are going to be slim and none. Gunbroker is going to be your friend.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #7

Originally Posted by adamsredlines View Post
I currently carry a Springfield Loaded and love it but I want a new 1911 more suited for carry. Based on my desires, it has lead me to two choices.
I want the following: all steel, 4" barrel, rounded bobtail.
That leads me to the Super Carry Pro HD or the Classic Carry Pro.

So, which one would you pick and why?

I believe the SCPHD is more blended which would be nice but I also hear the finish isn't super durable. The Classic Carry Pro is just gorgeous....I think a good blue has better wear characteristics (won't chip, but will show wear character over time), but has shaper edges.

Well, that's where I'm at. I would love some feedback.
I also realize neither of these choices will be readily available at the LGS, but I believe they will be worth the wait.

Well first welcome to the site from Tennessee! I don't really understand why people worry about "will the finish hold up" on a gun they plan on carrying
every day! Just about every pistol that is carried every day will sooner or later show some signs of wear, no matter what kind of finish is on the gun. For me EDC I would go with something lighter weight and shorter barrel, Stainless Ultra Raptor.

To answer your question if I had to pick from your two: Super Carry Pro HD.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum from St Lou..
Whichever Kimber you decide on, it will be a great choice..
Like Arland said, if you're going to carry on a daily basis it will eventually get some wear.
The only complaint I have is the Kim-Pro finish and the durability that it doesn't have.
I have 2 that look like they are much older than they are because the color fades rather quickly and one I never carry..
Good luck on whatever one you choose..
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Well first welcome to the site from Tennessee! I don't really understand why people worry about "will the finish hold up" on a gun they plan on carrying
every day! Just about every pistol that is carried every day will sooner or later show some signs of wear, no matter what kind of finish is on the gun. For me EDC I would go with something lighter weight and shorter barrel, Stainless Ultra Raptor.

To answer your question if I had to pick from your two: Super Carry Pro HD.
In my opinion, there is a difference between wear, and chipping from a sub-par finish...especially on a high dollar weapon. IMO wear gives the weapon character and I like that actually but actually CHIPPING is different.
Nellybelle likes this.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #10

Originally Posted by adamsredlines View Post
In my opinion, there is a difference between wear, and chipping from a sub-par finish...especially on a high dollar weapon. IMO wear gives the weapon character and I like that actually but actually CHIPPING is different.
I don't remember anyone on here saying that there KimPro finish had "chipped" from being carried. I could be wrong, cause I am old.
I agree with you 100% there is a huge difference between wear and chipping!
I can tell you that one day when I was taking my CDP Ultra out of the safe, I hit the corner of the door frame and it chipped a big chunk of paint off of the safe and after I stopped saying "OH CHIT" I got up the nerve to look at the slide of the CDP and could not find any kind of mark on it at all.
I don't think it will chip but as some others on here can attest to. You sure can put a HELL of a scratch on the frame if you are not careful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0011.JPG (1.21 MB, 6 views)
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by 2sharp2; 01-09-2015 at 02:43 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote