K6 Kimber Revolver - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #1

K6 Kimber Revolver

How does the Kimber revolver match up to Ruger or Smith&Wesson? What are the differences between them and why would the Kimber be so much more? I do own 2 Ruger revolvers. One is the Ruger Super Redhawk .44 and the other is GP100 Match Champion .357. I love revolvers and would like to know more about the caparison of the three. I do know the Ruger seem to have a little bit more meat on them than the S&W. But I think that S&W has the history and quality. What does Kimber bring? These are beautiful looking guns and would like to here from someone that has one and what he/she thinks of it.
Chuck43 likes this.
Bear604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #2

I have a S&W 640, great trigger,5 shot. K6 is a 6 shot, never held one but I understand the triggers are very good. The 640 is all stainless as is the K6. Size and weight is almost the same. Both DAO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snub 009.JPG (1.70 MB, 9 views)
Chuck43 likes this.

Mike
NRA
Amvets Life Member
Navy Vet
RugerLuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #3

Thanks RugerLuger I also have been looking at the S&W 640. I would like to own a S&W. I am becoming more of a revolver fan. There is something about them that I love. Do you like the trigger on your 640?
Chuck43 and RugerLuger like this.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #4

I have a few Smiths and Rugers, like both. The 640's trigger is excellent. It's from '93 and I just recently got it. It may have had an action job, I don't know but it's very smooth and when I stage the trigger it feels almost like a single action. I don't consider my self a great shooter but that snubby will give me 3" groups at 25'.
Chuck43 and Bear604 like this.

Mike
NRA
Amvets Life Member
Navy Vet
RugerLuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

Bear604, this may not count for you because you asked for thoughts of people that own a K6S. I don't own a K6S but I did hold, inspect and fondle a K6S for about 30 min. at Bass Pro the other week. I may buy one sometime and maybe you should also I don't know. It looked great, well made, nice finish. All the pistols at Bass Pro had trigger locks so don't know about the trigger, I have heard they are smooth but a little heavy? For whatever reason the K6S did not fit my hand, I did not love the way it felt in my hand. To me it was heavier than I expected and felt muzzle heavy. To answer your question: "why does it cost more?" It is not that much more than some of the Smith & Wesson models. The MSRP's are high and since they are pretty new on the shelves people are paying msrp and more. Will the K6S do anything the Smith, Ruger, Charter Arms won't do? NO. I have snubbie revolvers from Smith, Charter Arms, Colt in calibers .38spl to .44mag. that fill all my CC needs.

I am waiting on the K6S model I want to be more readily available and for the price to come down because I just want it to have range fun with not to defend my life.

The K6S is a fine revolver. That's what I thought about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Round Butts.jpg (4.19 MB, 12 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #6

When I bought my K6 I was shopping for a Micro 9. The guy at my LGS handed me the revolver and said, "Have you seen one of these?" Well needless to say, I still don't have a Micro 9.
As for the K6S, it has an incredibly smooth action, it's a six shot, the polished stainless looks awesome and mine shoots very well. I don't like the crimson trace rubber grips, though. I would rather have nice wood grips, which Kimber offers now. I didn't pay the MSRP and I've noticed some pretty good prices lately.
Drewpdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #7

2Sharp2 Out of all your revolvers which is you favorite? Have you shot the Rugers? I do like shooting the revolvers to target. I do not CC a revolver. I carry either a Sig P238 or my Micro 9 CSE. With Kimber being new the revolvers I am trying to see how they match up to some of the oldies like S&W, Colt, Ruger. Do you have big hands or what was wrong with the Kimber that it did not fit the hand?
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #8

Drewpdawg How does you Kimber fit in your hand? That is why I bought the Ruger Match Champion. I picked it up and it fit my hand like a glove. I do like the wood grips also. What is the recoil like on that Kimber?
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Bear604 View Post
2Sharp2 Out of all your revolvers which is you favorite? Have you shot the Rugers? I do like shooting the revolvers to target. I do not CC a revolver. I carry either a Sig P238 or my Micro 9 CSE. With Kimber being new the revolvers I am trying to see how they match up to some of the oldies like S&W, Colt, Ruger. Do you have big hands or what was wrong with the Kimber that it did not fit the hand?
Hard to chose favorite revolver but would probably have to say Smith & Wesson Model 29 6" barrel just like Dirty Harry, came with a Walnut box. Now days I tend to buy big caliber, short barrel revolvers. Yes, shot the Rugers but mine are SA Birdshead in .45acp. On occasion I carry the Charter Arms Undercover Police model in .38spl that is a 6 shot. Maybe 10% of the time I will have the Charter Arms Bulldog in .44spl. The rest of the time I'm carrying CDP Ultra or RCP Ultra both .45acp.
Big hands? IDK not in my mind certainly not as giant as Hickok45. Maybe my hand is more chubby than large. The K6 didn't seem to fit into the web of my hand between thumb and index finger and my little finger was completely off of the grip. I knew I was not going to buy the K6S at Bass Pro so I didn't ask the guy to remove the trigger lock to really check it out but I should not need to have my trigger finger inside the trigger guard to get a comfortable grip on the revolver.

He is a pic of my fat hand holding my old Detonics Combat Master 45acp.

Not a great pic but the blue one on top is the Model 29.

For probably 999.9% of the population there is nothing wrong with the grip on the K6S.
For the record I didn't like the rubber grip on the K6 and would order a wood replacement from either Kimber or Altamont grips even before buying a K6s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detonics Short Grip.jpg (2.84 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.JPG (2.36 MB, 6 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 07-08-2017 at 04:23 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Bear604 View Post
Drewpdawg How does you Kimber fit in your hand? That is why I bought the Ruger Match Champion. I picked it up and it fit my hand like a glove. I do like the wood grips also. What is the recoil like on that Kimber?
The revolver fits my hand, okay. After 30 or so shots, it gets a little "thin". That's why I want wood grips, in hopes they will be thicker. As far as recoil, I think the weight of the K6 helps somewhat. With defence 357 rounds, I would describe the recoil as sharp. Meaning it's pretty stout. Not unbearable, though. With 38 special target rounds, it's fun and not bad at all. I have zero regrets in my purchase.
Bear604 likes this.
Drewpdawg is offline   Reply With Quote