Slide not returning (weird deal) - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Slide not returning (weird deal)

Ultra Crimson Carry II

I had a couple instances where the slide did not return fully after ejecting a spent round. New round looked to be in the barrel correctly. Just an easy push on the slide and the weapon fired liked it should. Its almost like something is hanging up but there is no resistance to speak of when nudging the slide forward. Really odd deal. Of course once that happened the third time in a row I quit shooting with it.

If I had to guess I would say I've put around 6-700ish rounds through this gun.

What would be a couple things I could look at to see what may be malfunctioning?

Could too little oil cause this type of problem?
Tom O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #2

Tried different magazine?

Tried different ammo?

Too soon for recoil spring to be getting weak, but I suppose it is possible.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #3

I would clean out the chamber (something might be impeding the feed), then squirt the recoil assembly until it dripped (could be grit or an obstruction) and then take a well oiled toothbrush to the frame and slide rails (something might be dragging). Then I'd lube again for luck.

After that, I'd treat myself to a wonderful afternoon of shooting and smiling...
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Tried different magazine?

Tried different ammo?

Too soon for recoil spring to be getting weak, but I suppose it is possible.
Thanks for the reply

Still using the mag it came with. But plan on ordering a new one just so I don't have to reload every seven shots. It seems to be taking ammo well and putting them where they need to be after ejection.

Been using American Eagle. Never had an issue but I can try something different to be sure.

If I had to put a number on it I would say the slide closes about 85% of the way. The rest had to be nudged forward. It's just weird, never had so much as a hiccup with it until now. That is why I was asking if too little oil could be the culprit. For some reason I have been on this "don't put too much" deal lately and I don't know why. I am not savy enough on weapons to troubleshoot this type of thing.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #5

I, too, was careful with oil. It was recommended to me to drown the pistol. It worked like a charm after that.
Tom O. likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I would clean out the chamber (something might be impeding the feed), then squirt the recoil assembly until it dripped (could be grit or an obstruction) and then take a well oiled toothbrush to the frame and slide rails (something might be dragging). Then I'd lube again for luck.

After that, I'd treat myself to a wonderful afternoon of shooting and smiling...
Will do! Thank you for the input! I am hoping it was just me not lubing well.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #7

Tourist gave some good suggestions. I like Breakfree CLP for heavy soak, brush cleaning. Instructions say to spray it on, leave for two hours or over night, then brush. Wipe clean. Good stuff.

The only serious oil I put on my guns is in the slide channel to be sure there's not friction between frame and slide.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Tourist gave some good suggestions. I like Breakfree CLP for heavy soak, brush cleaning. Instructions say to spray it on, leave for two hours or over night, then brush. Wipe clean. Good stuff.

The only serious oil I put on my guns is in the slide channel to be sure there's not friction between frame and slide.
Good info. Thank you! I will definitely give it a go.

I've been using Hoppes, toothbrush, and q-tips. Oh, and some finger nails in the tight spots on the slide. lol

I've watched so many ways to oil on you tube that I got dizzy. I think I am going to go with the soak it down method and see where that gets me. It appears that the "don't put too much" method isn't serving me well.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

Tom, you should have seen my UC2 after I got done cleaning it and lubing it! Yikes, it leaked more fluids than a '47 Knucklehead.

When I got to the range I wiped off the excess just to keep my hands clean. After that second (or third) cleaning, I also tried the trick of lubing the rails and then racking the slide +dozen times.

For some reason (I'm guessing spreading the lube more uniformly) the gun got that "slickery" feeling.
Insta-Gator likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #10

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Tom, you should have seen my UC2 after I got done cleaning it and lubing it! Yikes, it leaked more fluids than a '47 Knucklehead.

When I got to the range I wiped off the excess just to keep my hands clean. After that second (or third) cleaning, I also tried the trick of lubing the rails and then racking the slide +dozen times.

For some reason (I'm guessing spreading the lube more uniformly) the gun got that "slickery" feeling.
lmao @ the Knucklehead reference. That's good!

After reading the comments here I am convinced I am not lubing good enough. That is easy to correct.

I am hoping to get back to the range this Friday. Not sure if the one I shoot at will be open or not. If not, Sunday for sure.

I am going to drench the little Solo as well. Maybe that will help the lil guy. May as well try before I send it in.

Search tags for this page

kimber ultra carry 2 slide will not return

Click on a term to search for related topics.