Oil or Grease? - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree50Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Elf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 569
Oil or Grease?

When lubing your guns, do you stick with gun oil or have you changed to gun grease? There seems to be an ongoing debate and I just wondered if anyone has a reason to switch from oil to the grease?
Chuck43 likes this.
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 32,385
Kimber says not to use grease, only oil. That being said I use Slide Glide on the rails of my well broken in carry guns. I find that it stays in place better then oil does when carried vertically for days between cleaning.
Marshall, 2sharp2, JC45 and 3 others like this.
__________________
BOTH POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
2sharp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 11,139
Yes, long time debate, individual choice. I've been using BreakFree CLP since it hit the market. If I was not using CLP I would go with FrogLube or FP10. A lot of people use Brian Enos Slide Glide with success.

Probably get a different answer for each post.
Chuck43, JC45 and PaulWVa like this.
__________________
The Kimber Family

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Albert.Cairns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,848
Hoppes solvent, then Hoppes gun oil. Tried and true they all run like butter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43, Oreste, Mini Me and 1 others like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
DaveinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 2,853
FP 10 on the Kimbers. Used Montana Xtreme gun grease on the SA 1911 I sold. That grease isn't going anywhere, stays put. Will probably use it on my Glocks and Smiths for the winter.
Chuck43 likes this.
__________________
NRA Benefactor member, Grass Roots North Carolina member, Lifelong Deplorable.
DaveinNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
mrtoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 6
I've used Hoppes gun oil, Froglube, Ballistol, but tend to gravitate towards Slide Glide, for reasons that Chuck43 mentioned. That said, I prefer something like Ballistol for longer-term storage/less-frequent shooting.
Chuck43 likes this.
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jonh1373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: MN
Posts: 462
I have attended armorer's schools of four major handgun manufacturers and have always been told very firmly, NO grease on any handgun, period. I have run handguns for over 50 years in temperatures from -40 to +110 with no negative results using oil. You can always justify using any product if you want to. I am just going from what I have been taught and experienced.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, DGM1962 and 6 others like this.
__________________
Jon
jonh1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
PaulWVa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Dunbar, WVa
Posts: 1,509
Originally Posted by jonh1373 View Post
I have attended armorer's schools of four major handgun manufacturers and have always been told very firmly, NO grease on any handgun, period. I have run handguns for over 50 years in temperatures from -40 to +110 with no negative results using oil. You can always justify using any product if you want to. I am just going from what I have been taught and experienced.
Your conclusions do have weight ..no doubt. My only issue is from personal experience. I have a small rack (6 gun) that fits on the shelf of my safe. (all autos). It holds the guns muzzle down. I noticed that every single gun had a two inch spot of oil under each. I now oil all pivot points with good oil and smooth a light gun grease only on the frame/slide areas. Now after a week or so after cleaning I have a 1/2 inch spot. I shoot weekly and have had no functional issues with greased slides....none. Oil runs out...grease doesn't.
Chuck43 likes this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jonh1373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: MN
Posts: 462
Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
Your conclusions do have weight ..no doubt. My only issue is from personal experience. I have a small rack (6 gun) that fits on the shelf of my safe. (all autos). It holds the guns muzzle down. I noticed that every single gun had a two inch spot of oil under each. I now oil all pivot points with good oil and smooth a light gun grease only on the frame/slide areas. Now after a week or so after cleaning I have a 1/2 inch spot. I shoot weekly and have had no functional issues with greased slides....none. Oil runs out...grease doesn't.
Paul, Just a personal thought but you may be over lubricating. All of the guns in my safe and I have never had a "drip". I carried for work for near forty years and never had any oil on my clothes or holsters and never a rust spot on any gun. A light coat of oil that displaces moisture is all that is needed.
Chuck43 likes this.
__________________
Jon
jonh1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
PaulWVa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Dunbar, WVa
Posts: 1,509
Originally Posted by jonh1373 View Post
Paul, Just a personal thought but you may be over lubricating. All of the guns in my safe and I have never had a "drip". I carried for work for near forty years and never had any oil on my clothes or holsters and never a rust spot on any gun. A light coat of oil that displaces moisture is all that is needed.
I don't think I'm over oiling. I'm talking about an accumulation over time. In our humid area I think I would rather over oil a little than under anyway. I've been shooting, 'smithing, and customizing handguns for 50 years as of '17 . What is this "rust" you speak of ?..never seen it on one of my (god only knows how many) guns.
But seriously ...thanks for the input....I'm am always open to new ideas, methods and respect the opinions of everyone. (except Hillary )
Chuck43 likes this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Search tags for this page

kimber 9 mm how do you oil it?

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rem Oil Wipes DGM1962 Kimber Talk 10 05-23-2017 06:18 AM