Range Distance - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #1

Range Distance

What distance do you shoot at the range? The one I go to is indoors and is marked off in yards. I mainly shoot from 10 yards in. Mostly because my brain says I will be that close or closer if I ever hit the last resort and have to fire on someone.

Mainly my thoughts about being in my home if someone breaks in and what distance I need to be proficient at.

Any thoughts on being farther out on the range other than bragging rights? I am not a "grouping junkie". If I am hitting my target, I feel I am doing my job. I shoot at a medium sized target and hit 10-8 marks most of the time.
Tom O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #2

I feel exactly the same.
I this day and time.
One better not pull the trigger on anyone less than 10 yards if even then.
Any thing else is just practice for distance and marksmanship.
Tom O. likes this.
DGM1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #3

The ability to make hits at distance makes shooting close easier and your ability to shoot faster at the closer distances becomes easier. We routinely shoot pistols out to 65 yards. Occasionally farther.

Many are restricted to indoor ranges and only able to shoot in one lane at one target. Also not able to draw from concealment if at all. This makes defensive training difficult.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 AM   #4

I'm shooting at 7 and 10 yards and like yourself I'm not "grouping junkie" but would like to be the best shooter I can. I was given a membership to an indoor range for Christmas and hope to make the most of it.

Anyone have thoughts if I'd be better off shooting 25-50 rounds 2-3 times a week or 100-150 once a week.

Quinn
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #5

Mostly I shoot at 10 yards. (30 feet) That's way longer than any line of sight in my house.

Occasionally I will shoot at 7 yards (21 feet) if I'm practicing controlled pairs (double tap.)

Very seldom if I'm the only one in the range the range officer will allow me to practice 5 round rapid fire. I usually do this at 5 yards. This is good for feeling and controlling recoil. It will also identify flaws in your grip.

No draw shooting at the indoor range.
DGM1962 likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
Super Moderator

The ranges around me don't allow holster work, double taps or rapid firing of any kind. I vary the distance I shoot at but most of my work is at about 10 yards. I like to shoot a couple of magazines at the max range of 25 yards on every trip.
Oreste and DGM1962 like this.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Mostly I shoot at 10 yards. (30 feet) That's way longer than any line of sight in my house.

Occasionally I will shoot at 7 yards (21 feet) if I'm practicing controlled pairs (double tap.)

Very seldom if I'm the only one in the range the range officer will allow me to practice 5 round rapid fire. I usually do this at 5 yards. This is good for feeling and controlling recoil. It will also identify flaws in your grip.

No draw shooting at the indoor range.
Pretty much exactly how I shoot my 2 ultras. I don't practice draw either but I do practice bringing up the gun thumbing off the safety shooting slow fire, double taps etc. and thumbing the safety off all the time making sure my booger tool is only on the trigger when I am ready to fire. The ultras were never meant to be target pistols anyway.
Insta-Gator likes this.
twistedlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #8

I'm unsure of the exact distance, but it's about 20-25 feet that I do most shooting indoors with ultra-compact sized guns. My targets are circles printed on 8.5x11 sheets of paper. Most shooting is done at a casual pace, a several seconds between shots. I think it's also important to practice emptying a magazine onto he target rapid-fire. It's a good way to learn how/when you start getting sloppy. With full-size guns, I run the target out further.

It's also helpful to shoot outdoors at empty soda cans. You can set up a bunch of targets at different angles and distances, which requires firing with different body geometry. Or set up a single can; after each hit it will fly away to an unknown location, helping to hone your acquisition skills.
Oreste likes this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #9

I shoot at 30 feet. My feeling is that if I can develop consistent accuracy at 30 feet I am good to go. 30 feet is a challenge and a good distance to develop skill.

I try to shoot once a month, 100 to 150 rounds 9mm. Tactical Pro II.
MonoLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #10

I usually try to shoot each pistol at all the different distances that I can. Up close and personal to 25yard line at the indoor range. Most shooting is pretty close. I got to looking at the possible shooting distance in my house. I don't think even the longest shot in my house would be over 40 feet. So I try not to get to crazy with distance. I have checked and even my Ultra's are accurate enough to take the long shot if I had to.
Chuck43 and DGM1962 like this.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote