The cleaning of new Kimbers. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

The cleaning of new Kimbers.

I felt this thread was more important than my ego and self-exile. I spoke with the customer service department of Kimber this morning.

My call was to check up on a warrantied Tac-Mag magazine that never came. While the intake guy was checking on it (I believe his name was "Robert"), we chatted about my new pistol. I related that I had a few FTF which I believed were caused by soot and grit imbedded in the black slime I had to clean out.

"Robert" told me something I had never heard. He related that since Kimber does not know how long a pistol will sit on the shelf, they ship the firearm in heavier lubricant.

My response was that I had to detail strip the pistol to clean it all out--especially the firing pin and extractor channels. He related that this would all that was required, as he didn't feel the receiver would need disassembly. That would just need a wipe.

The recommendation is that a new pistol should be cleaned first--cosmetically it might be okay. But considering how many of us might have wasted a few boxes of ammunition and frustration with FTFs, this info might have been good to know.

My pistol was not weeping oil, the bore was clean, and even the breech-face looked wiped down. I *assumed* the pistol was ready to fire as delivered.

As for my Tac-Mag issue, "Robert" must have intervened. I went to Gander Mountain this morning, took a Tac-Mag off the rack, returned the defective magazine to the cashier and was given the magazine at the counter. That was not my experience when the magazine first failed.
Marshall and Insta-Gator like this.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #2

I always clean guns when I get them, before firing them. That way, I know they have no gunk in them, they are lubed properly, and I can also look at how they are assembled- in case there are metal shavings, for instance, and how they go together in case something goes wrong.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Super Moderator

This should be no surprise for anyone that's read their owners manual. From page 26 of the owners manual in red letters.....

Before firing the pistol for the first time, Field Strip
and clean the firearm following proper procedures
(see DISASSEMBLY, CLEANING and
LUBRICATION and ASSEMBLY Instructions in this
Manual).

Old 12-31-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

Perhaps a more detailed strip and clean would be in order. Obviously, if the owner is a noob and doesn't yet know how to removed the firing pin and extractor, then it may be intimidating.

Ever been issued a weapon by the US Army? Ever had to clean cosmoline out of a rifle until it was spotless for inspection? Good times. Makes sense that Kimber would want to thoroughly protect their product while it sits on the shelf.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #5

One of my fellow drivers at work just bought the P938 Scorpion and I asked him if he cleaned it before he shot it and his response was..
"Why in the hell would I do that, it's brand new".
How many others think that same way??
Sad but true..
Insta-Gator likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #6

Yeah, guys, mea culpa. But I did more than field strip the UC2, I detail stripped it.

And while this might seem silly now, I didn't care that it was dirty, smudged or even cosmetically grimy. This pistol was purchased to be "used and abused."

Then there's the reality of what I found. We're not talking about slightly dirty lubrication. We're talking black goo, like the gunk that leaks out of a Zerk fitting. I had never seen this type of debris in an automatic pistol--and that encompasses 40 years.

Consider this, even in this deplorable condition, I still had only four FTFs, and no FTEs. That's with a modern, tightly fitted, grease packed virgin.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Perhaps a more detailed strip and clean would be in order. Obviously, if the owner is a noob and doesn't yet know how to removed the firing pin and extractor, then it may be intimidating.

Ever been issued a weapon by the US Army? Ever had to clean cosmoline out of a rifle until it was spotless for inspection? Good times. Makes sense that Kimber would want to thoroughly protect their product while it sits on the shelf.
Ugh, I hate cosmoline.
Insta-Gator likes this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Yeah, guys, mea culpa. But I did more than field strip the UC2, I detail stripped it.

And while this might seem silly now, I didn't care that it was dirty, smudged or even cosmetically grimy. This pistol was purchased to be "used and abused."

Then there's the reality of what I found. We're not talking about slightly dirty lubrication. We're talking black goo, like the gunk that leaks out of a Zerk fitting. I had never seen this type of debris in an automatic pistol--and that encompasses 40 years.

Consider this, even in this deplorable condition, I still had only four FTFs, and no FTEs. That's with a modern, tightly fitted, grease packed virgin.
Hope you didn't shoot your new Kimber without removing the packing grease.
Chuck's post sums it up.
You may need a Blacksmith or someone to heat and beadblast the hammer safety.
btw...the third line is just a joke.

Just shoot it and enjoy!

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #9

Tinman, I didn't find the goo until I field stripped the pistol and started to clean it. Then I realized I was in over my head. Cosmetically, it looked pristine, I had even latched it open and gave it a cursory inspection. Like I said, even the breech face looked as if it had been wiped down.

But give me the benefit of "age." Back when men were men and sheep were nervous the only time you cleaned a 1911 as thoroughly as I did is when the mouse that lived under grip panels gave birth to septuplets...
Old 12-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Tinman, I didn't find the goo until I field stripped the pistol and started to clean it. Then I realized I was in over my head. Cosmetically, it looked pristine, I had even latched it open and gave it a cursory inspection. Like I said, even the breech face looked as if it had been wiped down.

But give me the benefit of "age." Back when men were men and sheep were nervous the only time you cleaned a 1911 as thoroughly as I did is when the mouse that lived under grip panels gave birth to septuplets...
...."age" and 'nervous sheep'!!
Gatorman and/or jms-stlou may know exactly what your talking about.
The Tourist likes this.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

cleaning a new kimber before first shoot

kimber micro slide malfunction

Click on a term to search for related topics.