First outing with Micro 9 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2017, 06:07 PM   #1

First outing with Micro 9

I was able to get to the range today with my new Micro 9 and it seems like a great gun. Fit into my holster nicely, didn't have to sit awkwardly in the car. I shot 100 rounds and I only really had one issue. A few times in the beginning of the session the mags would drop a little out of the gun and would cause failure to feed. I just pushed them back in, detached, and worked no Problem.
I did a quick search on here regarding the mag issue and it seems it could be either my hand hitting the release or another issue with the firearm.
As I went on into the session they stopped coming out and worked fine.

I was using Lawman 147gr TMJ if that matters.

I love the look of the Cabelas edition, very happy I ponied up the $ for it.
Camaro45th is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-31-2017, 06:27 PM   #2

Thanks for the report...looks like you got a good one.
PaulWVa likes this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:17 PM   #3

Glad you had a good day at the range! Keep us posted as it breaks in.
PaulWVa likes this.
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2017, 07:53 PM   #4

No criticism here....really just curious. Why the heavy bullets? Do you feel that the 147 is a better self defense load?

I carry a Sig 320 Sub-compact and I practice with 115s and carry the Liberty Civil Defense 50 grn JHP. (2000 fps!). I know there's a lot debate on bullet weights. But I like the light recoil and light carry weight of the LCD. I did the research, watched the videos and read the FBI reports. They have approved it for all agents carrying 9mm.

I would think it would be great ammo for the micro 9mm guns. I carry it in my 2", Airweight, J-frame, .38 as well. (1500 fps) Same reasons. It is loud and flashy, in low light, but it does seem like very effective ammo. I have four boxes of their .357 coming from Midway tomorrow, to try out in my new K6S.

I have shot the 147s in my full size Kimber T2, 1911 but not in my little carry guns. Opinions? ..Suggestions? ...Comments?..Experiences?

Last edited by PaulWVa; 07-31-2017 at 07:57 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:34 AM   #5

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
No criticism here....really just curious. Why the heavy bullets? Do you feel that the 147 is a better self defense load?

I carry a Sig 320 Sub-compact and I practice with 115s and carry the Liberty Civil Defense 50 grn JHP. (2000 fps!). I know there's a lot debate on bullet weights. But I like the light recoil and light carry weight of the LCD. I did the research, watched the videos and read the FBI reports. They have approved it for all agents carrying 9mm.

I would think it would be great ammo for the micro 9mm guns. I carry it in my 2", Airweight, J-frame, .38 as well. (1500 fps) Same reasons. It is loud and flashy, in low light, but it does seem like very effective ammo. I have four boxes of their .357 coming from Midway tomorrow, to try out in my new K6S.

I have shot the 147s in my full size Kimber T2, 1911 but not in my little carry guns. Opinions? ..Suggestions? ...Comments?..Experiences?

I thought I read that for break in to use something greater than 115gr. I have 115 and the 147.
starnovi, chambh and PaulWVa like this.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Camaro45th View Post
I thought I read that for break in to use something greater than 115gr. I have 115 and the 147.
That's very interesting, I have never heard that. I looked in my Sig owners manual and it didn't say anything about bullet weights. I'm kind of new to the 9mm, comparatively speaking. I've had my Sigs for just over a year and my Kimber T2 for just a couple of months. Maybe the heavier bullets help seat in the springs and break in the slide...not sure. But that's why I'm here...to learn new stuff.
Camaro45th likes this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #7

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
That's very interesting, I have never heard that. I looked in my Sig owners manual and it didn't say anything about bullet weights. I'm kind of new to the 9mm, comparatively speaking. I've had my Sigs for just over a year and my Kimber T2 for just a couple of months. Maybe the heavier bullets help seat in the springs and break in the slide...not sure. But that's why I'm here...to learn new stuff.

I didn't read this anywhere officially. I thought that I read that people were having problems with 115gr and that it was recommended to use 124 for break in. I didn't have any 124 so I used 147.
starnovi and PaulWVa like this.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Camaro45th View Post
I didn't read this anywhere officially. I thought that I read that people were having problems with 115gr and that it was recommended to use 124 for break in. I didn't have any 124 so I used 147.
Maybe I've been lucky but I have been using Magtech and Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ's with no issues.

I also found how much smoother they work after they've been oiled. Holy Gunsmoke, batman....love racking the slides....they get smoother and quieter.....oooohlala
wfm and PaulWVa like this.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Maybe I've been lucky but I have been using Magtech and Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ's with no issues.

I also found how much smoother they work after they've been oiled. Holy Gunsmoke, batman....love racking the slides....they get smoother and quieter.....oooohlala

That's why I have been using in my Vp9 and my 1911. Maybe I'll try a box on my next trip. I didn't see anything specific in the manual.
Bish likes this.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #10

Definitely do the clean and lube before the first outing, that's probably most important point. However, almost everyone on here will tell you to use heavy grain ammo during initial break in of the pistol, even the gunsmith at my LGS told me to use heavier grain during break-in period. Maybe someone will come along with a more accurate reason for it but as I understood it, a brand new gun will have a very tight, precise fit which can cause excess friction and needs to be smoothed out a bit. I could be wrong about my explanation.

Now, the mags. I had consistent mag problems with the 7 round mags only, not the 6 round mags. The mag would drop down a bit, and I would have to whack and rack continuously during shooting. Kimber issued me a RMA and took care of the problem. I've only had it back about 2 weeks and it is running flawlessly now. So my suggestion is if you continue to have the mag problem, contact Kimber CS and they will correct it for you too.
Lineman and Tejun like this.

Heinie Lady Hawk 1911
Kimber Raptor 9mm full size SS
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Compact II 9mm
Kimber Micro 9 CTLG
Kimber Micro 380 Advocate
Sig Ultra Compact 2 tone 45 ACP
Sig P238 HD Nickel
Colt AR-15 9mm
CZ Rami 9mm
Glock 19
Glock 43
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro Series C.O.R.E.
Smith & Wesson M&P 22 compact
Walther PPS M2
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote