Why do so many of us have to send in a new gun for repair? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

Why do so many of us have to send in a new gun for repair?

So I've been reading a bit on this forum regarding various models Kimber makes. There seems to be a reoccurring theme many of us wind up having to deal with. You buy a new gun, and the gun has to be sent back for service.

Ultimately, what is the underlying issue that is causing these continuous problems with new Kimber Firearms?

Even before I joined here, I had heard that Kimbers have issues. Then I saw one I liked and figured I had to give it a shot.

Just to be clear, not looking to make this a bashing thread.
Camaro45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #2

As with any online forum most people join looking for advice or have a problem they need help on. Kimber is no different then all the other manufacturers, all the forums have problems with their makes and models. Every Forum online be it Ford to Springfield will have plenty of "This isn't working right and how do I fix it " posts. But you also need to see the "This things the greatest thing since sliced bread" posts too. I think here most are very open with problems their having and how many trips to the mothership they've made. But all seems to get ironed out in the end and most are very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2sharp2, DGM1962, Markie and 4 others like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
As with any online forum most people join looking for advice or have a problem they need help on. Kimber is no different then all the other manufacturers, all the forums have problems with their makes and models. Every Forum online be it Ford to Springfield will have plenty of "This isn't working right and how do I fix it " posts. But you also need to see the "This things the greatest thing since sliced bread" posts too. I think here most are very open with problems their having and how many trips to the mothership they've made. But all seems to get ironed out in the end and most are very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valid point.
Camaro45th is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

That and we can't go around waving the Kimber flag too high too often, that will attract the "you must be a fan boy" comments

In all seriousness I agree with Albert. I would bet that if we totaled all the Kimbers owned between all of us here on KT we would have a large majority of zero to minor issues. A problem is still a problem but 1 negative should not cancel out 100 positives.
Marshall, 2sharp2, JCBnPHX and 6 others like this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

Actually it goes to quality control. I don't work for Kimber but something is going on with their quality control. Sig Sauer has the same problem, Smith & Wesson has the same problem just to name a couple.

My guess and it's a guess is that the machining of parts is out of tolerance and the QC humans have been told to say it's satisfactory so that sales will increase. That's right - you guessed it - it's all about money and greed. It's predominant everywhere and no one is immune!
Marshall, 2sharp2, JCBnPHX and 7 others like this.

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #6

Howdy Camaro45th (which by the way, I'm also a fan of all things Chevy) !!

To add to what Mr. Albert accurately described, some folks come to this forum to do research when considering a Kimber (like yourself). They get the information they need to make a decision and move on, never to be heard from again. I initially joined in November 2014 when I was considering the purchase of a Solo. Man, after a few days of reading posts, I high tailed it to a Sig dealer and bought a P938. Never visited the site again until last year around this time when I was considering a Micro 9. Ended up buying one, and then another Kimber (Micro 380), then a UCII and finally, this year bought that Solo (which I truly love !!!). After spending a bit of time on the site, I found there to be a truly great bunch of folks that hang around on a regular basis (maybe even hourly ) that have a plethora of knowledge about not only Kimbers, but many other gun makes and models.

If someone merely does a cursory cruise throught the various forums here, it is easy to see (and understand) how it would "appear" that Kimbers have issues. That is primarily due to folks that buy one, have an issue, or think they do, and are looking for guidance as to whether it truly is the gun or the operator, or the ammo... etc. I lost count of how many posts from new owners of the M9 that, upon their first field strip and reassembly ended up installing the slide stop back incorrectly and the slide would be stuck tighter than a duck's butt. Heck, one regular member even took the time to go over to a new member's house to help him get his slide unstuck !! In some cases, those members get the solution to their problem or information they sought and then move on, never to be heard from again either.

Then there are all the regular (aka Senior) members that came, liked with they saw and stayed. They offer up their view points (good and bad) in a manner (MOST of the time) that allows the OP to factor in all the angles and go forward. If you look past the forest to see the trees, you find an amazing library of information with which to utilize on a regular basis.

Then there's the Chatting Thread About Nothing in Particular where you can get real time, accurate weather reports from around the country. Starting on Friday afternoon/evening, someone opens "The Bar" and we all start bragging about the particular adult beverage we are enjoying. You can get "Jokes on the Fly" from our ongoing Joke thread. Where else could you get all that and some good ole fashion "gun talk" ??

What I'd like to tell the new members (and those just lurking); come for the initial information but stay for the knowledge, wisdom and best of all.... friendship from a great group of folks
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

I have sent one back to Kimber with good results and service. It still has ammo specific issues that I can deal with.

The big question in my mind is why we all buy so many guns that are manufactured in "gun hostile states". I'm as guilty as the next but it still bothers me to send profits to states who hate the products they sell and the rights of American citizens.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, DGM1962 and 5 others like this.
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #8

In the grand scope of problems in Kimber world, it is not as bad as it seems IMO.

I own 13 Kimber 1911 pistols and never had any kind of malfunction with any of them and none of them have needed repairs from Kimber. Yes some folks have had issues with there 1911's. To be fair I don't own a Solo, Micro Carry 380, Micro 9 or K6S revolver which have had some issues either out of the box or within a few rounds.

It happens with man made products, you can find problems with Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Bear, Nighthawk, you name it.
The current weapon I'm hearing about is the Sig P320.
Chuck43, Marshall, swca and 5 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #9

Well said Tejun!
Chuck43 and Markie like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #10

Years ago the firearms coming straight from the factory were probably more reliable because there was more hand fitting during assembly thus more close visual inspection as it is being built. That is just one possibility I do not have numbers or stats just a thought. Also now a days it is so popular to put everything on social media. Bad word of mouth travels much faster than good word of mouth. People are real quick to criticize. If they slow down production to insure quality product straight from the line the cost would probably rise. So you go spend two grand on an Ed Brown per say. Guess what even ED Browns and Wilson along with Colt ,Sig Sauer and the rest have problems also. I might add most of the problems that Kimber is having is on new models- Solo was a new design, then the micro .380 and the micro 9 and a new revolver the K6 with proven models not to many problems. It does seem like Kimber should not try to introduce so many new ones without tool proofing the model a little more before release! I still love my Kimbers and would not hesitate to buy another one or six. Now I have not had the problems some others have had.
So no bad tastes left behind. I also will admit I want to buy a Nighthawk because one smith assembles it start to finish.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

remove stuck kimber micro 9 slides

Click on a term to search for related topics.