Not exactly Kimber Talk, but govt's new handgun?! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #1

Not exactly Kimber Talk, but govt's new handgun?!

In early December, Beretta USA, the maker of the U.S. military's M9 pistol for 30 years, submitted its modernized M9A3 as a possible alternative to the Army's Modular Handgun System program -- an effort to replace the M9 with a more powerful, state-of-the-art pistol.
But by late December, it was all over for Beretta's engineering change proposal for the M9. The Army's Configuration Control Board decided not to evaluate the M9A3, according to a source familiar with the decision.
Current plans call for the Army to purchase more than 280,000 handguns from a single vendor, with delivery of the first new handgun systems scheduled for 2017, according to PEO Soldier officials. The Army also plans to buy approximately 7,000 sub-compact versions of the handgun.
Army Rejects M9A3 Proposal, Opts for New Pistol | Fox News

Helluva hit for Beretta, but OMG what if Kimber throws a hat into this ring? Be great for them if they got it -- but horrible for us!! When Michael ordered his Compact CDP II, there was a long waiting list because, he told me (he was told?), the guys in Afghanistan and Iraq were ordering their own personal Kimbers... Took 6-7 months for his to come.

Whoever gets the nod will have to start ramping up now for 2017 delivery -- and as much as I think the military folks would benefit mightily from Kimbers, it means we 'non-military" (or ex-military) may have trouble (more? trouble) than we do now getting our own.

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 03-08-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #2

Kimber does not currently meet the standards, as I understand them. The safety/decock feature would be problematic on a 1911 platform. Capacity requirement is another.

Several polymer pistols out there would be excellent contenders:

FN
Gallery of Guns - Pricing

H&K

Personally I would recommend Glock for it's simplicity, ease of use & maintenance, durability. But since it does not have an external safety/decock, it won't make the list.
Richard likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)

Last edited by Insta-Gator; 01-11-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #3

I can't imagine 280K men & women standing around a firing range waiting for the 500 round break in period before using it for EDC.
Not to mention calling a "timeout" to the enemy while they get their "L" shaped tool out of their dufflebag to clean it...
Never gonna happen...
Insta-Gator, Lineman and Richard like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
I can't imagine 280K men & women standing around a firing range waiting for the 500 round break in period before using it for EDC.
Not to mention calling a "timeout" to the enemy while they get their "L" shaped tool out of their dufflebag to clean it...
Never gonna happen...
Ah. 'kay.

*I* however would happily volunteer to do the break-in for some number of them!
Marshall and Lineman like this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Kimber does not currently meet the standards, as I understand them. The safety/decock feature would be problematic on a 1911 platform. Capacity requirement is another.

Several polymer pistols out there would be excellent contenders:

FN
Gallery of Guns - Pricing

H&K

Personally I would recommend Glock for it's simplicity, ease of use & maintenance, durability. But since it does not have an external safety/decock, it won't make the list.
There are definitely no slam-dunks on this new request. FN and H&K have good gov relations and could meet the req's. My understanding is that colt is already out and Kimber and Sprinfield are trying to meet the req's. Time will tell but I think this will be a very interesting outcome.

John
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #6

I'll bet a cup of coffee on FNH USA
Jflytle likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #7

I wouldn't overlook the Smith M and P line. But then again DoD has done these trials so many times and either not changed or stopped the trials before completion. I don't suspect any contracts being awarded in the next three years.

The 1911 is dead as a general issue sidearm. Small special unit individuals may still opt for them when allowed. So that bring to question what does Kkmber offer this testing? Someone have a link? I played with their attempt at a polymer striker fired gun at Shot show years ago. That was the KPD. Which is very SR9 like.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #8

What about Sig P227 ?
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #9

Would the Springfield Armory XD with thumb safety and grip safety meet the requirements?

Old 01-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
I'll bet a cup of coffee on FNH USA
Are you thinking FNX?
Insta-Gator likes this.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote