Kimber Talk Forums banner

What I take to the range....OUTDOORS.

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  CDR_Glock 
#1 · (Edited)
I belong to a private outdoor club. What you bring is what you use out there. You leave something at home or something breaks, you're screwed.

IF YOU DO NOT BELOW TO AN OUTDOOR RANGE, YOU NEED NOT READ ANY FURTHER.[emoji23]

Most range stuff I leave in my vehicle because it's a lot of work to load and unload.

TARGETS

Arntzen AR-500 steel (IDPA and Standard round targets)
Rubber dummy
IDPA Cardboard targets
NRA D-1 targets
Target stand (4 2x2s)

Being in an outdoor range, you become your own technical support for sighting your equipment, fixing targets, hanging targets, equipment failure, etc. Last thing I need after driving 24 minutes it to forget to bring something. Stapler and spare staples is a showstopper for me, if I don't have them. I always have my steel targets but if a joint on the stand, or the bolt that holds the target fails, it makes for a failed journey.

Sights can be off, particularly with ammo brand changes, despite same bullet grain weight. I never understand the concept of fixed sights, as point of impact changes for different loads from my experience. My friend has a beautiful PC S&W 629 with rear channel sights.

TOOLBOX:

Universal Sight Pusher tool, Glock Front sight tool

stapler, spare staples

Trigger weight gauge

Toolkit with screwdrivers, torx screwdriver, punch

LeatherMan

1911 multitool with pliers

AR-15 Multitool with knife

Spare CR2032 batteries

Green Laser boresight tool: Green is visible out to 25 yards

PACT Club timer: It is a way to track progress

Spare nuts, bolts, washers for my Arntzen targets

Adjustable wrenches for my Arntzen target stand

Torque screwdriver

Upula universal magazine reloaders for pistol, AK, AR: Saves the thumbs, particularly with my volume.

Ruger magazine speedloader

Pen

flashlight (no lights in the woods, here)

Laser rangefinder, spare laser rangefinder

Rubber mallet (field strip my Mark II Ruger)

SPARE COMPARTMENT: Always have a backup plan.

Electronic hearing protection

Spare electronic hearing protection: because even though you tell a guest they need eyes and ears, some knucklehead doesn't.

Foam hearing protection

Spare stapler

Spare box of Staples

Sighting scope/tripod

AMMO BOX (50 cal size): Because If you forget your ammo, you're screwed.

Spare ammunition in 223/5.56, 300 AAC, 22 LR, 357 Magnum, 45 ACP

CLEANING KIT

I just clean the Bore, feed ramp and slide after each shooting.

SIGHTING/TESTING

I don't always bring my Lead sled. It is helpful for sighting in as it takes out human error.

Pistol rest. Useful for load work ups.

Chronograph. How will you determine your effective range or distance, or even bullet drops without one? I use it in conjunction with ballistics apps on the iPhone. That's how I am able to shoot my handguns beyond the usual self defense range, for fun.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

See less See more
#2 ·
I can see where loading and unloading the ride could eat up some time. Nice set up!
...a little off topic but I noticed the "muzzleblastMD" signature so...
Are you a real MD or a gun MD? (no disrespect if you're a gun MD) I ask because I like many here do not shoot at an outdoor range. There's not an option in my area :-(
Although my range does have what it needs to to make it legal (there's not much of a standard) ventilation wise it gets pretty smelly in there on a busy day. I've taken to wearing a P100 mask just to be safe? The guys who work there also upgraded to the 3M that I use for when they sweep up.
...do you have any thoughts on the potential hazards associated with exposure at indoor ranges???

#3 ·
I can see where loading and unloading the ride could eat up some time. Nice set up!

...a little off topic but I noticed the "muzzleblastMD" signature so...

Are you a real MD or a gun MD? (no disrespect if you're a gun MD) I ask because I like many here do not shoot at an outdoor range. There's not an option in my area :-(

Although my range does have what it needs to to make it legal (there's not much of a standard) ventilation wise it gets pretty smelly in there on a busy day. I've taken to wearing a P100 mask just to be safe? The guys who work there also upgraded to the 3M that I use for when they sweep up.

...do you have any thoughts on the potential hazards associated with exposure at indoor ranges???
I am a physician: Diagnostic Radiologist. Navy veteran. However, since I'm in a small city, I do work on my own guns nowadays. I have a lot of tools and even built a few AR-15s.

My major concern regarding the indoor range is the dust and aerosolized components of a cartridge, particularly Lead exposure in poorly ventilated areas.

I highly recommend a respirator when cleaning as the dust and debris likely have tiny deposits of lead. Gloves are important.

If I were to do it, I would wear coveralls just for the purpose, with gloves, a respirator and leave that stuff there. If you have small children the debris can be on your clothing which can increase their lead levels secondarily. It does the same for shooters of indoor ranges such as law enforcement.

One thing to do in your occupation is to get a lead level checked.

That is one major hesitation I have about indoor ranges, in addition to the noise. Noise I do enjoy creating.

I just prefer to create the noise outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
Thanks for the follow-up CDR_Glock, thankfully I don't need to clean the range itself. I'll bet protocols along the lines of what you've suggested will become the norm in the near future. As it stands there's really no criteria for safety established. As well as the P-100 3M respirator I wear a long sleeve shirt and pants at the range. I take the shirt off before I get in the car when I'm done shooting. First stop when I get home is the laundry room, everything goes in the wash. Then the shower...
My daughter is 8 so I'm willing to err on the side of caution when it comes to lead contamination on our furniture? Better safe than sorry you know :)

...that's a fine collection of revolvers by the way!!! I'm not sure where you're at??? If it's not too far away I can make myself available to test them out for you should you need??? Just let me know :)

#5 ·
Thanks for the follow-up CDR_Glock, thankfully I don't need to clean the range itself. I'll bet protocols along the lines of what you've suggested will become the norm in the near future. As it stands there's really no criteria for safety established. As well as the P-100 3M respirator I wear a long sleeve shirt and pants at the range. I take the shirt off before I get in the car when I'm done shooting. First stop when I get home is the laundry room, everything goes in the wash. Then the shower...

My daughter is 8 so I'm willing to err on the side of caution when it comes to lead contamination on our furniture? Better safe than sorry you know :)

...that's a fine collection of revolvers by the way!!! I'm not sure where you're at??? If it's not too far away I can make myself available to test them out for you should you need??? Just let me know :)
That routine when you get home is a good idea. If you do notice issues with your child get her lead level checked.

I'm in SW VA. Pretty close to West VA.

I'm good with my testing. Hahahahaha. Even though I reload, some formulas run a dollar per shot. Still better than $3-4 a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
I usually shoot with our club, so we have targets (cardboard & steel) on site.

I bring stapler & staples, tape, cleaning kit with rod, bug spay, sunscreen, eyes, ears, Uplula, lots of extra magazines for pistols & carbines, CLP, small screwdriver, empty ammo box (for SD ammo not being shot), timer, various ammo and a pair of binoculars. Also, add in a cooler with water/Gatorade for hydration.

If I am not shooting with the club, I'll add targets.

If shooting rifles over 50 yards, add in gun rests, Target Vision camera & table to use w/camera.

#10 ·
Just a thought

That sounds like a lot of weight and material to always have in your truck. What about a small utility trailer with some weather proof storage boxes or tool boxes. You could leave it loaded but not be using all the space in the truck or hauling it with you where ever you go.

Reactions: CDR_Glock
#11 ·
Outstanding set up CDR_Glock! You are well prepared. Thanks for your Service! I loved the Navy! They took us all over the world three or four time during my career. Hell, I probably spent more time on ships than most sailors did. Good Luck to you!

Reactions: CDR_Glock
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.